homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Lost Pictures on HP Laptop

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lost Pictures on HP Laptop
Moi
Mini Geek
Member # 4980

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 05, 2009 12:56      Profile for Moi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have an HP Pavilion dv5-1015nr laptop with Windows Vista on it. I was cleaning out some picture duplicates I have on my computer and I went to hit delete for an empty folder. When I hit delete, my entire pictures folder was deleted. I was pretty sure I only had that folder selected, so I was really confused when everything was deleted and I don't know what I did wrong. I then went into the Recycle Bin and restored everything in it. I then went back to my pictures folder and discovered that still about half of my pictures were missing. The pictures that are missing are ones I've uploaded in the past two weeks in addition to ones I took from another computer and saved from online. If someone can please tell me what I can do to get these pictures back, that would be great. Thanks!
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2009 03:54      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
________________Moi ______________

I would try this, Start Menu-- Find-- You should be able to find by file type. Enter .jpg and run the search. Depending on how big the drive is it may take a long time. there are other modifiers that could be used "creation, date" "modified, date"

Then come the fun of moving them all to the same folder.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Moi
Mini Geek
Member # 4980

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2009 13:22      Profile for Moi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the help, but none of the missing ones came up. If you have any more ideas, I would be very grateful. Thanks!
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2009 14:16      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
___________________Moi ______________

My fear is that you have blown them away. Some one else here may be able to help you rescue your files. One word of caution thought do not save files or use that comp. until all hope is lost. They may still be there but if you save something it may write over the deleted files.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted June 09, 2009 13:31      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
XP has a native 'System restore' under the the Help/support area. Not sure if this exists under Vista or not.

Oh, and while your hard lesson is in the forefront, find a backup solution even if it is only an external drive or flash stick.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
brainisfried
Geek-in-Training
Member # 3067

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 10, 2009 19:40      Profile for brainisfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been bit by that Vista problem too. Undelete Plus recovered some of the files. The longer you wait, the more likely it is that the files you want have been overwritten.
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 11, 2009 02:48      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____________________ TheMoMan Here ___

Years ago when there was competition, between OSs and architecture, there was an app. called DisAssembler. What you would do is copy the disk, then the app would show you the data that did not copy and suggest file start/stop points. Well it worked pretty good on small disks.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Moi
Mini Geek
Member # 4980

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 14, 2009 14:00      Profile for Moi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the suggestions and information! The good news is that I believe most of the pictures may be on a backup disk from an old computer or still on my camera. The only things I will lose will be pictures taken from outside sources. Thanks again!

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture