homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Media Centers. What do you all use?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Media Centers. What do you all use?
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2009 17:00      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am pretty sure that while I am in the minority of members here, I figured I would ask...

Do you use a media center application?

If so, what do you use?

Why?

Here is my set up.

I have gone back and forth between XBMC and Boxee. Since I prefer Linux and I am not planning on shelling out the greenbacks for a Windows Media Center or an Apple TV, that left me only a few real choices.

While MythTV does exactly as it advertised, I don't watch enough TV to really mess with its main goal. And the music interface really stunk.

I have pretty well decided on XBMC for a few reasons.

Support. There is a good sized user base out there.

Usability. The interface is not too obscure and can be relatively easily customized by the use of themes.

Reliability. It just works.

I tried Boxee for a while but there were just too many bugs and problems for me to continue using it. And they really have not been doing much for the Linux side of things, mostly Apple. And even though it was forked from XBMC it was still too buggy. Things such as crashing when OGG files were played and while they supported HULU for a while, it would send my system into fits every time I played anything.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 23, 2009 10:10      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The closest thing we have to a media center is when we plug the MacBook Pro into the televizzle. If we were to get a dedicated box it would probably be an AppleTV because it would most easily fit into the existing ecosystem.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
angryjungman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 23, 2009 12:31      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got a Mac Mini plugged into my TV via VGA cable. Better than an AppleTV IMHO.

I have Boxee installed on it, but haven't played around with it much. I mostly just control everything via Screen Sharing from my MacBook or one of the various VNC/Remote/Mouse apps from my iPhone. Or if I'm using Front Row, the Apple IR remote.

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Infinitesimal
Geek
Member # 4865

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 23, 2009 17:11      Profile for Infinitesimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went with XBMC as well, just because the UI is pretty good and it was easy to get working, my remote also just worked out of the box, though there are some odd mappings/behaviours and I need to figure out how to get it to go back to DVD menus without playing through the entire feature.

also I did discover an add in/hack that allows XMBC to front end for mythtv as well so you can have all the TV goodness of Myth without a decent UI [Smile]

--------------------
That which doesn't kill you can only make you stronger. Therefore I am damn near indestructable.

Posts: 153 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
maswan

Lord of the Root!
Member # 269

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 08, 2009 10:49      Profile for maswan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was going to try out xbmc or mythtv one of these days, but so far haven't gotten a remote to work.

The setup is that in the closet there is a machine with disks that gives an nfs mount to a mini-itx computer next to the TV (totally passive cooling, and 0 moving parts!).

Then I ssh into it from the laptop and play movies using mplayer. I use a little script that also logs to a file which file I just played, which helps you pick back up a series that you watched a bit of but not finished months ago...

Posts: 71 | From: UmeŚ, Sweden | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 08, 2009 11:07      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by maswan:
Was going to try out xbmc or mythtv one of these days, but so far haven't gotten a remote to work.

My issues stemmed more from the fact that Debian and Ubuntu have broken implementations of LIRC. They sorta work, or at least work well enough to make you think you have it right until you actually make the remote do something.

I had to build from source, and then actually copy the files into the correct folders, replacing what was there already. Create a custom init.d file and then it worked...

Soundgraph stuff really is junk too. I had a few extra hack just to get that one to even pretend it was working.

And right now I am debating about whether or not I want to upgrade 9.04, because of that hassle.

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
maswan

Lord of the Root!
Member # 269

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 08, 2009 11:13      Profile for maswan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:
quote:
Originally posted by maswan:

My issues stemmed more from the fact that Debian and Ubuntu have broken implementations of LIRC. They sorta work, or at least work well enough to make you think you have it right until you actually make the remote do something.

I had to build from source, and then actually copy the files into the correct folders, replacing what was there already. Create a custom init.d file and then it worked...

Soundgraph stuff really is junk too. I had a few extra hack just to get that one to even pretend it was working.

And right now I am debating about whether or not I want to upgrade 9.04, because of that hassle.

Nah, it was worse than that. I fiddled quite a bit with that, but then I ended up poking directly at the device too, and there was nothing at all coming in no matter what buttons I was pushing. No events on the usb cord connecting the reciever whatsoever.
Posts: 71 | From: UmeŚ, Sweden | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 08, 2009 15:57      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____________________ Whats a Media Center, and why would I want one?

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2009 11:58      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MoMan,

Media centers are basically an entertainment center built into a computer. Works well if you are equipped with high speed 'net and have lots of digital files. Basically a computer host for running saved videos, MP3's PVR recordings, etc.

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2009 03:22      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
______________________ CommanderShroom __ Does 40k dial up qualify?

The modem is 56k but the phone lines are so poor, that they end the handshake at 40k. The noise also rules out DSL but that is not avail. up here on the hilltop.

I have been looking at Sprint & A.T.&T. wireless data plans but both are just out of reach and we would end up roaming. The Cell company we use is slow on data and is in a merger, with the company that owns the copper wires here. We already have bad feelings about them, it took eleven weeks to get a phone wire hooked up to this house.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted May 12, 2009 05:23      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh, I don't think you need net access at all for a Media Centre. You can use a TV card and record your TV episodes, think of a MC as a VCR+HiFi on steroids, with computing capabilities.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: BogotŠ, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2009 07:33      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RW,
True it isn't absolutely needed, but I think one of the things that can make media centers so useful are their web connections.

Things like Boxee's Hulu stuff, or Shoutcast streams. I tend to use mine with some favorite web stations that I will stream over the course of the day.

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture