homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » G4 Running 10.5?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: G4 Running 10.5?
Nick
Mini Geek
Member # 2413

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2009 17:43      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could i run OS X 10.5 on my G4?

--------------------
~Blade

Posts: 89 | From: Texas | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2009 17:45      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
must be 867MHZ, 512MB RAm and 9GB of free space minimum to install.

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2009 21:17      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the one thing macmcseboy failed to say is that you *could* but you probably don't *want* to unless your machine has specs that are *quite* better then the minimums he mentioned.

My Mom's eMac (1GHz G4, 1GB RAM, 80GB HD) is almost torturously slow with 10.5. It's useable (barely) for web, e-mail, etc, but it won't do anything fun (like grab a DV feed from my firewire camcorder without dropping frames).

With 10.3 the eMac was peppy, and happily nommed on DV data all day.. but Mom needed the newest Safari and Apple JVM for her (expletive deleted) pogo.com games. *mumbles under his breath*

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
angryjungman

Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2009 06:17      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got 10.5 running on the wife's 12" PowerBook G4. It's not a speed demon by any stretch of the imagination, but it seems to run acceptably well given that the machine is somewhere around 5 years old.

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nick
Mini Geek
Member # 2413

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2009 06:56      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL so right now my mac is 400 GHz G4 and 896 MB ram. So I would need to upgrade my processor for sure. It is a sawtooth So It seems to have good upgrade options. So it is not imposable but I am not ready. For one I know I need to max out my ram. then save up for the Processor upgrade. thanks guys or (If any) girls.

--------------------
~Blade

Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2009 07:40      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd say you are better off saving up for a new Mac then trying to do the upgrade. Even with a new CPU you still have the rest of the old hardware in there. And once you start upgrading the rest to maximize the performance of that CPU you just spent more then you would have on a new computer.

And if you do and you transfer over all your music from your old computer then import to iTunes the computer will have 2 copies of each song. It took me a month to figure out why I was missing 12Gb. Grrr, one of my duh moments.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted April 14, 2009 08:22      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd agree with MacD.

Save up for a new mac. Even a new used one.

The silver door dual processor G4 1.25 is a good legacy model to have. It accepts up to 2GB ram, which you would need to run OS 10.5, and it is the fastest mac to also boot in OS9. Plus it has a faster 167 mhz bus than your current machine.

I think it holds up to 4 hard drives, too.

You will be able to do most things that you can do on other Macs, except do any decent HD video with some of the newer codecs.

Buy one of those and run it as a server later.

Right now I run 10.5 on as 12" iBook G4 1.33 ghz. It was dog slow until I filled it with 1.5 gig of Ram. Now it is OK. The 4800 rpm drive is still slow, though. My 800 mHz iMac with a 7200 rpm hard drive upgrade still runs 10.4 and feels snappy for scanning, print serving and iTunes work.

Kris, if your Mom has extra room for ram, you might get her a chip for Mother's day. [Wink]

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nick
Mini Geek
Member # 2413

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 16, 2009 20:58      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
??? Alot of teh Silver doors or what ever g4 macs only seem to have 3 ram slots when my sawtooth has 4 and they take the same ram. I have a friend who is pissed offm because you cnat get any more then 1.5 Gb of ram.

--------------------
~Blade

macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 16, 2009 21:17      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What the Colonel means is the G4 MDD aka Mirrored Drive Doors. 4 mem slots came in two flavours, one with PC 133, the other with DDR. Depends on when you bought it.

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
kydruid
Newbie Larva
Member # 1928

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 17, 2009 05:11      Profile for kydruid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before you even think of sinking any cash into CPUs which will lead to Hard Drives and Optical drives, etc., bite the bullet and look at an Intel mini. It would probably cost less than the CPU upgrade itself and properly configured would be good for quite a while, not to mention ready for Snow Leopard instead of the debate over Leopard and a shoe horn.

And while the mini's aren't the grandest, fastest tools in the shed, it will be blindingly fast in comparison to the Sawtooth box and far easier to maintain for quite some time. And if you check places like DealMac or the closeouts even at the Apple Store, you might be able to pick up the generation that's fading out at a pretty good savings, too.

Posts: 7 | From: Louisville, KY | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
JamesDublin
Mini Geek
Member # 6177

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 19, 2009 19:27      Profile for JamesDublin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya,

I'm running 10.5.6 on a 17" PowerBook G4 with a 1.5GHz processor. I maxed out the RAM to it's allowed 2GB a while back and it's running very well.

Speed-wise I have no complaints but the one thing that I do find limiting is not having an Intel processor.

If I were you, I'd save and bite the bullet. Sounds like you deserve a new Mac more than I do! haha

--------------------
I still love my 17" PowerBook G4!

Posts: 56 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture