homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Quicktime TV

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Quicktime TV
JamesDublin
Mini Geek
Member # 6177

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2009 09:43      Profile for JamesDublin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone have any info on Quicktime TV?

I just started organizing the big mess of my bookmarks and folders of bookmarks in Safari and was going to delete all the pre-installed bookmarks for stuff like www.apple.com (I think I'm familiar enough with OS X to not need that bookmark at this point! Haha) when I noticed a bookmark for "Quicktime TV".

I can't even find much info online - no Wikipedia page for it as far as I can tell.

Just out of curiosity, was it an old idea that never came into fruition due to iTunes advancing to what it is today?

(Hmmmmm.. {scratching head})

--------------------
I still love my 17" PowerBook G4!

Posts: 56 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted April 09, 2009 03:24      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess it was an strategy to showcase both Quicktime 4 and the revamped Streaming Servers. Taking note of the reports I found (from 1999-2000), I suppose the dotcom boom was the cause of the fall of the service.

Update: It seems that your hypothesis about iTunes being the cause is true. I've just read from faq-mac (a Spanish language Mac site) that Quicktime TV started as a way of having popular TV and music channels on Quicktime. the article mentions that the author watched the WTC attack from it. After the introduction of iTunes, which uses Quicktime, Quicktime TV faded as it became non-profitable and its features were replaced by iTunes. In all, we may see a "sequel" of Quicktime TV's legacy on the Apple TV, which serves a very similar purpose.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
JamesDublin
Mini Geek
Member # 6177

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2009 01:09      Profile for JamesDublin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, neat. So it's just antiquated software, eh? I love seeing the changes and improvements in technology. Especially the way that I used to think a Commodore 64 was awesome-cool!!!

--------------------
I still love my 17" PowerBook G4!

Posts: 56 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture