homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » MAMP? Does this really exist for MAC?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: MAMP? Does this really exist for MAC?
roddenberry
Newbie Larva
Member # 28488

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2009 11:06      Profile for roddenberry   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard rumors that MAC comes with Apache built in, so running a test Website off a MAC book is possible. But I've yet to find out how to turn the feature on, and set up my admin variables for Apache.

Then I hear rumors of MAMP being available for MACs. I would think this is only possible because Apache is already installed on the MAC. Yet I can't seem to find the bundle to install.

So my questions are:
Do MACS come with Apache pre-installed, and if so how do you access it?
Does MAMP exist as a downloadable and configurable product, and if so, where in tarnation does one get it from?

TribbleLord

--------------------
http://www.roddenberry.com

Posts: 6 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2009 12:33      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Rumors?"

System Preferences -> Sharing -> "Personal Web Server"
Check the box, and you've got MA_P.

MySQL is an extra install if you're not running Leopard (IIRC).

Since I've been thrown into this world against my will†, I got a MacBook out of it, as it's a really nice dev. platform. vim + Firefox + Firebug makes dragonman97 a very happy hacker.

† After all, I stand on this side of the fence...

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2009 14:23      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
† After all, I stand on this side of the fence...

Perl helps keep me regular too.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2009 14:49      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is this what you are looking for? It's quite useful if you want to play around with WordPress or other CMSs without actually making a fool of yourself in public.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
roddenberry
Newbie Larva
Member # 28488

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2009 15:16      Profile for roddenberry   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
perfect Callipygous thanks! found the sharing website and checked out the MAMP link. Awesome!

Running MAC 10.5.6 OS.

I'm hoping to play around with some dynamic pages and figure out how to create an RSS Feed off of multiple MySQL Queries. test it first then employ on a few of our sites. not much of a MAC dude so thanks for the heads up!

btw, hilarious comic link! i love XKCD

--------------------
http://www.roddenberry.com

Posts: 6 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture