homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » I need help. My Mac was Hacked.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I need help. My Mac was Hacked.
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted March 10, 2009 18:24      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm fairly computer literate.

I try to keep my computer secure. But I know any determined hacker can get into anything. So I just try to make it as difficult as I can.

The other night, my computer tells me that an unauthorized computer is attempting to gain access to my network. It showed the computer ID of the offender.

Immediately I shut my system off, unplugged the modem (DSL, non-static address) and ran a scan for any viruses, trojans, etc.

I found nothing. I think I shut the system down pretty quickly, and do use firewalls, secure files, etc.

This individual committed a crime breaking into my system, right? I can call the police to ask for an investigation can't I? Isn't my computer like my home -- once you attempt to break in, it doesn't matter if you take something, it is a cyber-burglary right?

There is some file someplace on my computer that keeps track of that stuff, isn't there? And my ISP keeps records, too, right?

Need some help and guidance here.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2009 19:12      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Open up the Console App. It should show the logs for your firewall.
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
cjacobs001
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 5030

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted March 10, 2009 19:18      Profile for cjacobs001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
>It could have been a program running on a computer, instead of a person.
>It could have been the proprietor of software you have on your computer (you don't own the software, you own a license) which you may have consented to just by installing (or using) their software.
>If you cannot demonstrate any loss, no one will investigate.

Posts: 1 | From: Tampa Bay Area, FL USA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2009 20:58      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have firewall logs, they'll show the time and IP address of the intruder, but there's a couple of problems with finding the perpetrator.

1. If the timestamp in the log isn't accurate (i.e. if you're not using a reliable time server to set your system clock) then the offenders ISP won't be able to say for sure who was using that IP address.

2. Chances are, the intruder is a malware-infected PC whose owner is unaware of what's going on. The real bad guy is driving it by remote control from his secret lair deep beneath Gotham City.

The good news is, it sounds like your firewall stopped them getting in.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2009 22:01      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Step #1: Breathe!

Step #2: Repeat Step 1.

Step #3: In a less substantial, but still significant way, keep doing these steps until the end of your natural life. YMMV.

Okay...are you seriously sure a real intrusion took place? Did you take a screenshot of this message? (Heck, are you sure it wasn't some super-obnoxious ad that's a fake warning?)

While colleagues of mine and I love to point out that Macs will become subject to serious trouble at some point in the future, that day does not appear to have come yet. If you had a bad password, a poor firewall, and didn't patch your system, you could be in trouble. Otherwise, you're probably fine, and it's just someone /trying/ to get in...which is a pretty routine, automated, purely anonymous thing. It's kind of like someone walking around a large parking lot with a ring of jury-rigged[/filed] keys, trying each key in each door. They generally figure that they'll hit the jackpot at some point -- but have no idea what will work, or who they're 'getting.' Also, they really look forward to the cars that are left unlocked with the keys inside. [Razz]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 11, 2009 15:32      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CP – What dragonman said.

What program are you using for intrusion detection, Little Snitch or something else? What was the message you received?

If it makes you feel any better I'm rebuilding my Spotlight index because a plug-in for an app I tested sends Spotlight into a tizzy. I'd forgotten all about it (didn't seem to get removed by AppZapper) and nearly had a seizure trying to figure out what ailed Spotlight. Finally, the memory hit me (had this happen once before), and Bingo!, down to about 45 minutes.

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture