homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Careers in Video Games or the Arts

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Careers in Video Games or the Arts
Mel
Alpha Geek
Member # 3553

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 27, 2009 12:31      Profile for Mel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering if anyone on this message board was in the video game industry or worked in the arts. I have spent 3 years trying to find a job after getting my Bachelor of Education with no real luck. I am exploring option #2 of doing something creative, but am scared that I would have to go back to school and move to Ontario. I do posess some artistic skill, but have no real training (it has been debated whether or not to be trained in the arts for some jobs, as some companies claim that the instruction ruins artists and focuses them on the teachers' style, etc). Art is one of my passions. Any available careers out there for a gal like me?

Thanks [Smile]

Posts: 309 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 27, 2009 18:40      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you want to get into the games industry my best advice is to write a game (or team up with someone else with the appropriate complementary skills and write a game). Saying "I wrote this.." about a good game is a better qualification than anything else as it proves you've not just got the talent, but the ability to finish a game, which is rare.

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Nick
Mini Geek
Member # 2413

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2009 07:18      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I whent to an art school and dropped out when I could not afford to keep going. You need to see what part of making a game you wish to do? You can be a sprite Artist, 3d modeler, Texture artist, Programmer, Character designer ect.

You need to look at witch one you want to do and go for it.

I am currently working on a sprite game. I know a guy who could not draw when he was in high school but now is a well known artist in the area. so just find what you want to do and do it yourself. and get critiques.

I also know one guy who stopped drawing for 15 years and started up again just about a year or two ago. He is really good. He just drew up is first comic.

If you really want to do this it's allot of work but it will be worth it if it is what you want. and some times you will need to take some jobs you Would not normally do.

TO start out in art you should like Sign up for Conceptart.org and post there your work. And get to know people who do what you want to do.

--------------------
~Blade

Posts: 89 | From: Texas | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture