homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » iTunes and System Restore Problems (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: iTunes and System Restore Problems
Moi
Mini Geek
Member # 4980

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 18, 2009 19:54      Profile for Moi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know the title sounds unrelated and the issues may be, but I noticed them at the same time. I have a Sony VAIO operating Windows XP Media Edition. Yesterday, iTunes started acting funny and wouldn't play certain songs. I tried deleting the songs and then re-importing them using "File > Add Folder to Library...". iTunes appears to add the songs but they are not added to the library. Then when I go to the source folder and try to right click and say open I get an error message saying something about an "I/O error occurring". I tried completely uninstalling and reinstalling both the current and a past version of iTunes with no changes in its behavior. I also tried to find commonalities among the songs that won't play but I can't see any obvious ones.

The second topic was my attempt at fixing the first problem. I tried to roll my computer back using System Restore. It goes through the motions and gets to the point after I sign in where it would open up and be usable. However, then I get a window that says that the restore was incomplete and I can pick a different date to try. However, different dates still don't work. I tried creating a restore point yesterday and rolling back to it today, but I got the same message.

Sorry for the novel, but I'm extremely frustrated and you all have been quite helpful in the past. So if someone could shed some light or lend an opinion on what might be going on or suddenly have happened, I would be so appreciative. Please let me know if you have other questions that might help solve the problem.

Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted January 18, 2009 20:01      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First advice: Windows XP's System Restore is EVIL. Avoid it and disable it. If your system gets messed up, it may be mainly because of a virus. System Restore backups them. How nice.

Now to the main issue: May you provide us some screenshots, error codes, etc? Try to make a clean install of iTunes, that means to uninstall the application, run an application like CCleaner and install the latest version.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Moi
Mini Geek
Member # 4980

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 18, 2009 20:07      Profile for Moi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately, iTunes isn't really giving me any error messages anymore. It's just not playing certain songs.
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted January 18, 2009 20:09      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Make sure also to reinstall Quicktime. Maybe your songs are not playing due to a codec issue. Uninstall both Quicktime and iTunes and reinstall them.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Contest. Group. Success.

Moi
Mini Geek
Member # 4980

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 18, 2009 20:11      Profile for Moi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did try that, but I'll try it with running CCleaner in between the uninstall and the reinstall.

Any idea what would be making my computer suddenly not restore though? Or why these changes suddenly occurred?

Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted January 18, 2009 20:14      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure about the System Restore issues, it's been a long time since I used it, but since it tends to do more damage than good, the better solution is to plain disable it. What happens if you revert your restores?

--------------------
Contest. Group. Success.

Moi
Mini Geek
Member # 4980

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 18, 2009 20:18      Profile for Moi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do you mean by revert my restores? It never goes through with the restore so nothing gets changed.
Moi
Mini Geek
Member # 4980

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 18, 2009 22:09      Profile for Moi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
iTunes is still not working, even once I've uninstalled and reinstalled.
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 19, 2009 08:20      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_______________________Me wonders __

http://www.dailytech.com/New+Rampant+Windows+Worm+Seizes+8+Million+Business+PCs+in+a+Week/article13981.htm

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 19, 2009 14:29      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you hearing any unusual/new sounds from your HDD? The symptoms you're describing sound like bad sectors formed on your HDD where those songs are stored.

Are you having any other problems with other file types? Look at files that were created/modified about the same time as the problem song files. Also, find out what the SMART status is of your drive, specifically get the raw data as that is more comprehensive than a simple PASS/FAIL status (usually, FAIL is so far gone it's of no use). I don't know offhand of any utilities for Windows, but there is a utility for Mac OS X that parses the raw SMART status info easy to understand language. Google for something like "SMART monitor Windows" and see what crops up.

If it's not a hardware issue, I'd heed TheMoMan re: the latest and greatest Windows malware.

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted January 19, 2009 17:57      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it's a virus issue, it may be simple to check it. Go to Start > Run and type msconfig. This application will provide you a list of applications and services running on startup. If you are able to provide us a list of those, I may try to identify the problem. Another application, maybe easier to use, is Autoruns, which provides even more detailed information of these applications and services. Hope it helps.

--------------------
Contest. Group. Success.

Moi
Mini Geek
Member # 4980

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2009 12:22      Profile for Moi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, here are screen caps of my msconfig data. I have Autoruns data, but I'm not sure if you can open the file? Let me know if you want that posted. Also, I installed SMART Monitor, but it gives me this error message when I try to run it: "Failed to set data for 'SMART Monitor'" and won't open.

-

-

-

Moi
Mini Geek
Member # 4980

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2009 12:36      Profile for Moi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, so I'm just going to post screen caps of my Autoruns results. I hid the Windows and Microsoft stuff. Let me know if you want it with that in there.

-

-

-

-

-

Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted January 24, 2009 14:20      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't see anything out of normal, but I'd suggest you running CCleaner and clean your Registry under the "Registry" tab. Do that just after uninstalling iTunes. Then try installing again and let's see what happens.

--------------------
Contest. Group. Success.

Moi
Mini Geek
Member # 4980

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2009 15:15      Profile for Moi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, well that's good then. I wonder why my computer is acting up then?

You mean run CCleaner after uninstalling iTunes? I did that once after you suggested it and once I had reinstalled iTunes, nothing was better. Even stranger, iTunes still had all my playlists and music in it. I feel like once I've had to reinstall it, it should ask me to import all my music again. So maybe it didn't uninstall?

I'll try it all again though and let you know what happens then.

Moi
Mini Geek
Member # 4980

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2009 18:51      Profile for Moi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that I've uninstalled iTunes, cleared the registry, and reinstalled iTunes SEVERAL times, I'm thinking that the problem is with my files. I found a session log in SpySweeper that lists errors during the scan and it lists out errors with all the iTunes files that do not work. It says something about not being able to open them. I went to look at the files and noticed that they were encrypted. When I try to take the encryption off, it says "Access denied". I uploaded the session log:

SpySweeper Session Log

Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted January 24, 2009 20:05      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seems an issue on file permissions. Right click one of the files mentioned in the log, check its properties. Try to open the file manually.

As a last resource, go to the command line and use:
code:
attrib, <filepath>

--------------------
Contest. Group. Success.

Moi
Mini Geek
Member # 4980

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2009 21:00      Profile for Moi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Wolf VI:
Seems an issue on file permissions. Right click one of the files mentioned in the log, check its properties. Try to open the file manually.

As a last resource, go to the command line and use:
code:
attrib, <filepath>

Could you give me detailed instructions on how to do this? I'm not SUPER advanced with that kind of knowledge. Thank you! [Smile]
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted January 24, 2009 22:10      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's start with the basics, try to open manually a file that SpySweeper couldn't open:
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Unknown Artist\Phantom of the Opera [Sony Special Editi\09 The Point of No Return_Chandelier 1.m4a

For example.

Right-click, check properties, and make sure it has nothing like "hidden" or "read only" checked.

If the file is still unusable, proceed to use the command line. Go to Start, click Run, type cmd and then press Enter.

As with the same file, type the following in the command prompt:

code:
attrib, "C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Unknown Artist\Phantom of the Opera [Sony Special Editi\09 The Point of No Return_Chandelier 1.m4a"

I'm starting to suspect, assuming these songs were bought from iTunes, that this is a DRM issue, and you may want to contact Apple support if true.

--------------------
Contest. Group. Success.

Moi
Mini Geek
Member # 4980

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2009 22:13      Profile for Moi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll try that. Thanks.

And nope, NONE of them were bought off iTunes. They're all songs that I imported off of CDs. And it won't let me re-import the songs, I tried.

Moi
Mini Geek
Member # 4980

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2009 22:28      Profile for Moi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It says "Parameter format not correct" when I try that. It won't let me type on a blank line, there is always this at the beginning of each line:

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>

Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted January 24, 2009 23:05      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That line is normal, don't worry about that.
Let's try the following:

code:
attrib -rash "C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Unknown Artist\Phantom of the Opera [Sony Special Editi\09 The Point of No

or this one (I'm starting to forget how to use Windows' Command Prompt):

[CODE]attrib -r - a -s -h "C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Unknown Artist\Phantom of the Opera [Sony Special Editi\09 The Point of No Return_Chandelier 1.m4a"

--------------------
Contest. Group. Success.

Moi
Mini Geek
Member # 4980

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 25, 2009 12:09      Profile for Moi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's what happens when I try both of those:

-

Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted January 25, 2009 13:28      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, so it was the second command. Now try to open

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Unknown Artist\Phantom of the Opera [Sony Special Editi\09 The Point of No Return_Chandelier 1.m4a

again manually, what's the result?

--------------------
Contest. Group. Success.

Moi
Mini Geek
Member # 4980

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 25, 2009 14:12      Profile for Moi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I just click on it in its folder, it opens up iTunes and goes to the song but will not play it.

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture