homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Computer Not Booting--- Diagnosis?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Computer Not Booting--- Diagnosis?
reessm01
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 25191

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted December 21, 2008 10:57      Profile for reessm01     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, I'd appreciate some tech savvy advice on what to do about my desktop computer.

1. Hardware is all compatible
2. Connections (appear to be connected)
3. Computer lights/fans turn on upon pushing power button
4. Computer does not boot up

At first I thought possibly it was my processor going bad as it was freezing after startup and fail to completely boot up, also when I was reformatting it would freeze unless I did the fast version of formatting.

I replaced the processor with one that is compatible for sure and I'm still having the same problem. It turns on all the lights and fans, but does not boot up. The monitor is connected. I've tried to rid of all small possibilities as much as possible, the computer is getting power.

The last thing I did that caused this (with old processor) was change the clock speed of the processor in bios from 300Mhz to 600Mhz, I'm not sure if this could be the cause and if it is how to change it.

Any ideas or further questions that could help diagnose my problem here?

Thank you.

Posts: 1 | From: Home | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2008 11:17      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for calling Smell tech support, calls may be recorded for quality-assurance purposes. [evil]

Here's a list of questions you can answer that may help us help you better:

1) Does it finish POST? That is to say, when you power it up do you get a nice, single, short "beep" followed by the BIOS display? If not, are you getting any beeping patterns (i.e. 1 short, 5 long)?

2) Do the fans/drives all spin up? You said the fans do, but what about the drives?

3) Is your video card built into the motherboard or attached via PCI/AGP/PCI-E? And what is (if anything) displayed on the monitor?

4) When you replaced the processor with a known-good processor, you remembered to remount the heatsink and put nice, new, clean, fresh heatsink paste on it, right?

Based on what you've already said, I'd say you have bad RAM or a burned out CPU.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2008 14:50      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me hand over a 20lb sledgehammer.

Have at her.

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2008 15:47      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____________________ reessm01 __ Does the light in the CDrom drive light up and or flash, does the light for the floppy drive light up or flash, If your Hard drive has an access light does it light up or flash? If the answer to all of these is NO you have problems. What about the clock battery? A dead clock battery can cause a host of problems.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
AntonTakk
Mini Geek
Member # 4686

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 22, 2008 02:26      Profile for AntonTakk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if the last thing you did before the system stopped working was to change cpu settings in the bios, i'd recommend you get familiar with the cmos clearing jumper on your motherboard

--------------------
`My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look upon my works, ye mighty, and despair!' - Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posts: 83 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
The real Stealth
Geek
Member # 4615

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted December 25, 2008 04:09      Profile for The real Stealth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get a POST card and call back with the Post code.

--------------------
The one and only "§†eal†h the Fallen One"...Between Your life And mine are Three realities, Yours, The real one, and Mine. They they form a bridge shapped in the letters D-O-_-N-O-T-_-C-R-O-S-S.

Posts: 141 | From: Battle Creek, MI | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture