homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » I need a Beatles/John Lennon geek!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I need a Beatles/John Lennon geek!
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted December 17, 2008 05:40      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm putting together an illegal (as in copyright infringing) sing-along song book of Christmas songs for my family to sing along with this coming weekend. I'm trying to transcribe the lyrics to "Happy Christmas (War is Over)."

The second verse, 4th stanza, is nearly impossible to decipher, and I've read at least three different transcriptions of it online. The second verse begins at almost exactly one minute into the track. It's the words that go:
quote:
And so this is Christmas,
For weak and for strong,
The rich and the poor ones,

I've put that 4th line in audacity and played it over and over and over. I've heard "the world is so wrong" or "the road is so long" or "the world is so long" (huh?) or "the war is so wrong"... and each of these shows up in transcribed lyrics on the Internet, so it seems no one else knows what it's supposed to be either.

Anyone? There must be a definitive answer...

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 17, 2008 06:45      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_________MacManKrisK To be copyrighted in the US there must be a copy filed with the US patient office, how you would get a copy, I am unsure.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 17, 2008 06:51      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MoMan: huh?!

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 17, 2008 07:08      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
__________________ MMKK GO here.

http://cocatalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?Search_Arg=Happy+Xmas&Search_Code=TALL&PID=cOxo2muunkht81CmuiW7Ls1jPbwD&SEQ=20081217095421&CNT=25&HIST=1

What you do from there I am unsure.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 17, 2008 08:50      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure on the accuracy of it but here is a YouTube video with lyrics.

It sounds accurate though. I have always thought it was the road is so long. But hey, as long as you sing it loudly, it has to be right.

Plus it isn't like John is gonna come down and bitch you out. But that would be a great story.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 17, 2008 09:24      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your family won't know which is correct any more than you do. Pick the one that sounds the best given the context and go with that.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 17, 2008 09:45      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not for nothing, but this is a cover, and assuming you're not charging, it's not 'grossly illegal.'

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 17, 2008 10:06      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
__________________ MMKK __ I got as far as I could with out having to pay for the document filed at the Patient Office, Copyrights

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

CW Smith
Geek Apprentice
Member # 12150

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2008 05:33      Profile for CW Smith   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
... The old and the young.
Posts: 42 | From: Des Moines, IA USA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
Moe Monkey
Geek
Member # 1900

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2008 06:14      Profile for Moe Monkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It definitely sounds like "the road is so long" to me... I'd go with that (or whatever it sounds like to you).

On-line lyrics sites are a bit of a laugh sometimes -- I recently found the lyrics to all the Cocteau Twins songs on one site, which is a little like transcribing messages from your television static.

Posts: 145 | From: The couch in the living room | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2008 10:53      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm partial to SongMeanings.net, but it goes with 'the war is so wrong.'

I just listened to a stream of it online, and I heard "the road is so long."
I have a feeling people are confusing John's lyrics with the chorus.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture