homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Weird OS X permissions issue

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Weird OS X permissions issue
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted December 09, 2008 15:11      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I've had this problem (or, weirdness) for some time with my machine. Whenever I run Disk Utility I always get the following, even when no other permissions are out of whack:

quote:
Determining correct file permissions.
Group differs on ./Private, should be 80, group is 0
Permissions differ on ./Private, should be drwxrwxr-x , they are drwxr-xr-x
Owner and group corrected on ./Private
Permissions corrected on ./Private
Group differs on ./private, should be 0, group is 80
Permissions differ on ./private, should be drwxr-xr-x , they are drwxrwxr-x
Owner and group corrected on ./private
Permissions corrected on ./private

Permissions repair complete
The privileges have been verified or repaired on the selected volume

Now, apparently DU is lying, because if I run Repair Permissions again it tells me that permissions for ./Private and ./private are not correct. From what little I could gather running through the golden fields of Google this isn't really a problem. Okay, I'll accept that. But, it's excessively annoying. Anyone have any idea on how to permanently fix this? Also, while I do have a "private" directory, I do not have a "Private" one. And, my filesystem is set to be case-insensitive.

Oh, this is on my external boot partition, which is a clone of the internal boot drive. The internal boot drive is now a clone of the external boot drive, thanks to the magic of Carbon Copy Cloner.

Edit: Forgot to mention machine specs: Mac mini G4 1.42 GHz, 1 GB RAM, 500 GB external firewire drive, 80 GB internal, boot volume is on 111 GB external partition, OS 10.4.11, all the latest updates.

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 09, 2008 16:05      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a bug. Nothing to worry about. That used to happen all the time in Panther. They finally got it straightened out with Tiger, but I noticed it's back again with Leopard, except mine always says that the permissions are fouled up on cups. I guess it's not totally fixed with Tiger either.

Or maybe it's showing that because it's on an external drive that you cloned.

Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 09, 2008 16:15      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GMx – Thanks, I appreciate the confirmation. I suspect that the cloning process has something to do with it. It's a little aggravating, though. But, I do vaguely remember the issue appearing first around 10.4.5, then disappearing around 10.4.8, but coming back either around 10.4.9 or 10.4.10.

Of course, I'm constantly loading and unloading files, apps and other crud from this machine, so who knows what I've angered.

Hmmm … I'd still like to find a solution, only to negate my annoyance.

--------------------
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 10, 2008 09:14      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UPDATE: Okay, so, this is not directly related to the above permissions issue. That I'm sure of. Now, though, somehow OS X decided that I should have font smoothing for fonts sizes 8 and below, which is not at all what I had originally set it to. My original setting was 6 pts and below.

Any ideas?

--------------------
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture