homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Problem with new 1TB Ext HD

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Problem with new 1TB Ext HD
BooBooKitty

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 09, 2008 05:47      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright, so they had the WD My Book Office Edition 1TB external drive for sale and I picked it up on Sunday. I figure I'd plug it into the MacPro (USB 2.0) and away we go! Uhm, not quite. When I tried to copy files over to the 1TB if would start and then eventually hang at some point for no reason.

dragonman97 tried to help me troubleshoot the problem last night, but it was still happening. We thought maybe there wasn't enough space in the main HD for the system to use as a buffer. However, even after I cleaned up the HD, there were still problems.

Anyone have any insight into this before I return the HD?

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 09, 2008 05:59      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This isn't WD's whacky media file copy restriction stuff causing trouble somehow is it?

I thought it was a Windows only feature, with a driver being snuck onto your PC, but IIRC there's a hardware component too. From what I'd heard it didn't do anything on the Mac because they'd not done the software side, but perhaps it causes trouble unless the drive is formatted again first?

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 09, 2008 06:03      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure I reformatted the drive again at some point, but now I'm not sure because the bloody thing would end up hanging. I'll try that again tonight. In the meantime I had the Disk Utility check the HD and it seems alright. No need for repairs. Now I'm wondering if the USB cable it came with isn't slightly flaky.
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 09, 2008 07:20      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Usually, if I have ever had file transfers stall and crash, it meant imminent death of some hardware.

Either your Mac is hurting, or the new drive. Luckily, if you have access to another computer, you can test out the hard drive by doing a large transfer to and from a computer.

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 09, 2008 07:51      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ugh! I have been getting the "black screen" when I try to shut down [Frown] I guess that's not a very good sign is it? But then again, the cats have also been using the space behind the MacPro as a heater. I should open her up and see how much car hair has accumulated in there. :-p
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 09, 2008 08:43      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It wouldn't hurt. But I would say that you should get those files duplicated somewhere less volatile.

If it is your local drive causing trouble, then copy files in smaller batches. Give it time to recover afterwards. And then start again. You will probably find some files that just refuse to copy over, but then try to get a secondary copy onto a CD, or some other media. Also consider using something like CCC before it totally goes toast. And then add a new drive into the Mac. That tower is really nice in that regard. It is easy to add and remove drives. Less than 5 minutes to do a full R&R. The longest part of the whole deal is the shutdown and reboot.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 09, 2008 09:50      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BooBoo – When accessing the Mac Pro's internal drive, are you hearing any unusual/hey!-that's-new-and/or-louder-than-before type noises? If so, the internal drive is definitely going.

Even if all sounds well the internal HDD may be going, but at the very early stages. There's an app called SMART Utility ( go here) that gives a more thorough SMART report than Disk Utility. It details bad sectors which could be the cause of your issues. Also, what may be happening is that whatever problems the drive may be experiencing don't show up under normal usage, but as the drive is accessed heavily and heats up the problem surfaces. The biggest problem with Disk Utility is that as long as the bad sector count is within normal parameters it tells you everything is good, when in fact bad sectors, even a few, can cause problems.

Regardless, unless you can 100% verify that the problem is with the WD drive, I second and third CommanderShroom's advice: backup, backup, backup and replace your internal drive.

Or, you can always give me the Mac Pro and save yourself the trouble of getting a new HDD. I'll pay for shipping. [Big Grin]

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted December 09, 2008 09:52      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What 'Shroom said.

I had the same kind of quirky problems with an external drive for a few months before the thing up and died on me.

I did partial transfers of data just like 'shroom recommends and got most of the data off of it.

Your problem sounds like it could be your main drive.

You may also want to try loading the OS on the external drive and see it you can boot up from that, then try copying files.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 09, 2008 09:56      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the suggestions, folks! I'll see what I can do tonight with all this info.

Wish me luck!

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 09, 2008 19:12      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah...I hadn't considered that possibility -- certainly likely.

What Colonel Panic & Shroom said about backing up certainly is a good idea. Personally, I like SuperDuper, but CCC is said to be a fine tool as well. However, if the external HD is an issue, this leads back to what I said last night about having *another* backup. After all, if you back everything up to the external drive, and the tower croaks...but /then/ the external drive manifests issues, you're really sunk. :/ (Sounds improbable, sure...but I've been in this line of work long enough to have seen some /very strange/ things happen.)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 09, 2008 19:25      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UPDATE:
Okay, so I downloaded a trial version of the SMART Utility. It shows that both internal HD are okay. No errors.

I tried using the Disk Utility to reformat the HD. When I tried to write all zeros, it hung. Just a quick and fast reformat was okay. The disk utility showed that there were no errors on the 1TB ext HD.

Then I tried to copy one folder (7.74GB large) to the ext. drive. It hung at around 5.63Gb.

Another thing I noticed is that the Power button the HD does not work. O_o Any other suggestions? Otherwise, this thing is getting returned Friday.

Zwilnik

Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 09, 2008 20:59      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BooBooKitty:
UPDATE:
Okay, so I downloaded a trial version of the SMART Utility. It shows that both internal HD are okay. No errors.

I tried using the Disk Utility to reformat the HD. When I tried to write all zeros, it hung. Just a quick and fast reformat was okay. The disk utility showed that there were no errors on the 1TB ext HD.

Then I tried to copy one folder (7.74GB large) to the ext. drive. It hung at around 5.63Gb.

Another thing I noticed is that the Power button the HD does not work. O_o Any other suggestions? Otherwise, this thing is getting returned Friday.

So this was the WD external HD it failed to write zeros to? If that's the case return it. You don't want any doubts about the reliability of something holding 1TB of your data.

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 10, 2008 03:43      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^^ what he said

sounds like you have a bad drive, or that the enclosure they shipped it in is bad. Go buy a Seagate! [Razz]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 10, 2008 10:01      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why Seagate? I've heard that they're not as reliable. In any case, I think they had some internal SATA drives on sale. Well, they were on sale on Sunday. We'll see what they have when I swing by there Friday.

*sigh*

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 10, 2008 10:29      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had soem bad experiences from external drives. But I have also had some good ones.

Seems that for every three "dead" externals, it was usually something in the USB bridge for the case and not the drive.

I am actually running a re-purposed hard drive from such a situation in my media computer.

But I would go and see if you can find a different external. I don't know how good Seagate external drives are, but I do like the warranty on their internals.

MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 10, 2008 14:15      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seagate because Seagate is the only drive I trust with my important data.

YMMV.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 10, 2008 16:36      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MacManKrisK:
Seagate because Seagate is the only drive I trust with my important data.

YMMV.

Unless you have a 2.5 inch seagate 60, 80 or 100GB with firmware 7.01. These can be found in MacBook, MacBook Pro and Mac Mini computers, manufactured in 2006. No data Can be saved from these, not even Seagate can get that data....

just my .02$ CAD

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture