homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » sorry to bother you

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: sorry to bother you
tugguy19
Maximum Newbie
Member # 20132

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 03, 2008 05:53      Profile for tugguy19     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SKYLAR seems to be a bit annoyed that I would bother asking this forum a few simple questions about computers. I thought this site was for that purpose. I apologize if I was wrong and took up any geeks valuable time with nonsensicle simple computer questions.Skylar mentioned that members are usually happy to help but would appreciate it if I would google my questions first before bothering this very important group of people that are busy solving the problems of the world.SKYLAR mentioned that members would like to "get to know one another" rather than just answering questions.OK, I am Mike, I like sports, dancing and long walks in the woods.You know what? I'm not looking for a date or a new best friend, I was looking for simple answers. Rest assured I will not be bothering the likes of SKYLAR in the future with stupid questions.By the way SKYLAR, what's Google?
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 03, 2008 06:18      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This site is called geekCULTURE, not WE-FIX-YOUR-SHIT.

So you can attempt to call skylar out for mentioning you use google, and doing that before you inundate this site with you questions. This is a social and braindump kind of site for like-minded people.

But since you were "not looking for a date or a new best friend, I was looking for simple answers", go take a nice long hike and try Yahoo Answers if you want free advise from someone.

Posts: 2464 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2008 06:24      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are not your help desk and you just lost any good will that we might have been willing to extend.

Skylar is a well-respected and well-liked member of these forums who has been here for years and has contributed greatly. All you've done is try to use us for your personal IT department and then started whining like a baby when she suggested that you contribute to the community that you're so willing to take from.

To that I respond:

Fuck you and everyone that looks like you.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted December 03, 2008 06:34      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My, my. Short tempered, are we?

Skylar was very polite and, I believe, clear in her message. Geeks may be a helpful bunch of people as a whole, but there comes a point where helping total strangers who just ask questions without a "please" and then leave without a "thank you" - especially if they ask such a simple question they could have found the answer themselves in their user manual or with a quick Internet search - gets tiresome. You're acting akin to going into a library and calling out loud: "hey, big brains, answer my questions, will ya?"

1) Google (How did you find this site without using any search engine? Google is probably the best known of them all...)

2) Do you know you can answer a thread rather than create a new one each time?

3) In order to have the correct answer, you need to define the full problem: operating system, software version, or any other technical info that could help figure out what exactly is going on.

4) Please leave your aggressivity off line. People here may not have answers to all the world's problem, but it doesn't mean we should let ourselves be abused. We're not a bunch of loosers who have nothing to do but be your own free technical support (as you seem to think we are).

In summary: a little respect and politeness would go a long way in getting answers. Unless you're willing to pay for the time spent solving your problems. Bar that. Even when you are paying people to do things for you, you should still respect them. The anonymity the Internet provide is no excuse for droping simple social skills.

(And I suggest not giving your full address in your profile. We may be nice people - most of the time anyway - but other people with bad intents could use it against you. Just a little Internet security trick - free of charge.)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 03, 2008 07:12      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_________________ tugguy19 __ We get huge numbers of people coming here to ask questions and then leave, try on 169 pages of people that have asked a question or two and left, we have often helped them, then we never hear from them again. On the same day you asked for help we had a poster ask us to crack a program, many of us have written code and get paid for that code and this person wants us to shoot ourselves in the wallet. By the way many of us had to sign Non-disclosure and assignment of intellectual property agreements with our employers so we have been robbed by our bosses.

Now if you continue to read here you will see that I attempted to help you, however you did not give me much to work with, No mention of Comp. type. No mention of Operation system. No mention of Memory size.

To me that is like calling a mechanic and asking why my car won't start with no details.

So you think we don't want you around you are wrong, we want you here, now please change you sig file so that bad people who may find your info can't use it against you.

Yes you got flamed, we are not all hot heads but we do have our limits, more info on your Comp. and maybe we can help you.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 03, 2008 08:07      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The matter has been settled amicably in another thread guys. Thanks for sticking up for me, whether because it was the logical thing to do, or because you like me, or both [Smile]

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 03, 2008 13:43      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skylar:
The matter has been settled amicably in another thread guys. Thanks for sticking up for me, whether because it was the logical thing to do, or because you like me, or both [Smile]

Gaaaah...I fortunately missed this whole mess. Still, I like you, and would have said something if I was awake or not driving all day. [Smile]

Boo on people who are mean to skylar! :shakesfist:

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 03, 2008 14:50      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mm.. Me thinky it's a bad idea to bad mouth Skylar around here. It'd be like walking up and hitting someone's little sister. [ohwell]

--------------------
I'm curious... About what, you ask? EVERYTHING!

Posts: 2239 | From: Western WA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 04, 2008 00:37      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aww, shucks [blush]

I think I remember Callipygous once saying something along the lines of 'if you're not getting flamed every so often, then you're probably not saying anything all that interesting' ... so it's good for me, keeps me on my toes, y'know? [Wink]

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 04, 2008 02:16      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hahaha. It reminds me of one of my favorite icons. It says "You know you're really cool when people you don't even know hate you."

--------------------
I'm curious... About what, you ask? EVERYTHING!

Posts: 2239 | From: Western WA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture