homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Equation to save ... my swimsuits!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Equation to save ... my swimsuits!
NovemberMoon
Newbie Larva
Member # 23736

Icon 1 posted November 13, 2008 20:01      Profile for NovemberMoon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is my math/chemistry problem.
I have been using a product that neutralized the chlorine in my swimsuit, each day, when I come back from my daily laps and have it soak in a sink or tub. I realized that that product was a total rip off. It was an 16$ per 8 once bottle, and you needed two 'caps' in a full sink. That lasted only few days. I found out what was the 'active ingredient' and also realize that the same chemical was used to neutralize chlorine in tap water for aquariums. At a fraction of the price! But I need some help figuring out how much of this stuff I need. So, here is how it goes. It calls for 'one drop' to neutralize the chlorine in 3.78 liters of tap water. Tap water in my city is suppose to contain +/- 0.3 mg per liter of chlorine. But how much do I need to neutralize chlorinated pool water. Since this is an indoor pool, it is suppose to have 3 to 5 g per cubic meter of water. So, how much of this stuff do I need to neutralize my swimsuit soaking in a small bathroom sink (roughly 3 liters of tap water + the chlorine that remained in the swimsuit). I know the measures are not precise, but a rough figure would help. Thank you.

Posts: 6 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 13, 2008 22:31      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So there's about 10 times as much chlorine in pool water as there is in tap water. But all the pool water you've got going in is your swim suit so you need to estimate how much water is in that suit and adjust your neutralizer proportions accordingly. Best way to do that is weigh your suit before and after swimming - the difference will be your water volume (roughly, I'm not sure what the density of pool water is but for this you don't have to be that anal).

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 13, 2008 22:43      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
two drops

unless there is more than a half a kilo of water in your swimm suit

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
NovemberMoon
Newbie Larva
Member # 23736

Icon 1 posted November 14, 2008 05:23      Profile for NovemberMoon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The swimsuit, wet, holds about 500 ml of pool chlorinated water (i.e. 3 to 5 g per cubic meter, which is 3 to 5 g per 100 liters)
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2008 06:38      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
______________________NovemberMoon

You are making too much of this when you take off the swimsuit hold it under a faucet (tap water) rinse wring, rinse wring, rinse wring, and rise wring again then plop it into a zip-loc bag add a little water and your neutralizing agent one or two drops and that should be good.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
NoRealReason
Mini Geek
Member # 6992

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted November 14, 2008 07:07      Profile for NoRealReason   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wouldn't it be easier to just swim nude? [Wink]
Posts: 70 | From: Never you mind | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 14, 2008 11:47      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NoRealReason:
Wouldn't it be easier to just swim nude? [Wink]

....with beer.
Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2008 12:32      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NovemberMoon:
The swimsuit, wet, holds about 500 ml of pool chlorinated water (i.e. 3 to 5 g per cubic meter, which is 3 to 5 g per 100 liters)

Little correction: 1 litre = 1dm^3, thus 1 m^3 = 1000 l. Just missing one zero - a typo, I'm sure.

As for those suggesting swiming in her birthsuit, if the pool is public, she's probably not allowed to.

Back on topic, is your swimsuit that costly/fragile that you have to use a product to neutralize the chlore, over just a quick hand washing with a gentle soap? Or why not add an activated-carbon filter to the soaking water? It would probably be even cheaper. Of course, you may want some water movement to maximize the effect, so either you put both your swimsuit and the filter in the washing machine and set to rinse cycle, or buy a small aquarium and put your swimsuit in it for a couple of hours.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted November 14, 2008 14:09      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Practical approach:
Try it with one drop first and, after you take the swimsuit out, smell it. If there's a lingering chlorine smell, use two drops next time. Keep increasing the amount until you determine how much you need.

Geek approach:
We start with the fact that 1 drop neutralizes the chlorine in 3.78 liters of water. We're guessing that the water has 0.3 mg/l concentration of chlorine... but does it really? Since it was written as +/- 0.3 mg/l, that might just be the uncertainty factor around the real number, so we don't really know. Must do research!

Several minutes of google searching and half a bag of Cheetos shows that 0.3 mg/l is not an unusual level for chlorination of tap water, so we can assume that it is not the margin for error and is actually the amount of chlorine.

Damn those were some good Cheetos. I need another soda now though. BRB.

<pause>
*crack... fshssssshhhhhhh*
*slurp*
*belch*

Now, where were we? Oh, right!

One drop of the magic dechlorination juice should be around .05 milliliters and it can remove the chlorine from 3.78 liters of water with .3 mg/l of chlorine, so that gives gives us 1.134mg chlorine removed per .05 milliliter.

We have 3 liters of tap water to which we add a swimsuit containing half a liter of water that has somewhere between 3g and 5 g/meter^3 of chlorine. We'll err on the side of caution and use 5 mg/l as our figure. That gives us 5g/meter^3 or 5mg/l, so our 0.5 liters of bathing suit water gives us 2.5mg of chlorine in addition to the 0.9mg (3 l x 0.3 mg/l) for a grand total of 3.4mg of chlorine.

Now that we know how much chlorine one drop removes and how much chlorine we have, we can simply divide one by the other... 3.4mg / 1.134mg per drop = 2.9982363315696649029982363315697 drops (significant digits be damned!).

But is that really how much you need?

All this ignores the fact that most people would wring out their swimsuit at least a little before bringing it home and it would have far less than half a liter of water in it as a result even if it absorbed that much while immersed.

Rinsing the swimsuit or showering off in it after swimming (a common thing to do) would also displace water with a higher concentration of chlorine with water with a lower concentration.

Unfortunately, there is no easy way to measure how much of the water was displaced this way, so our true amount of chlorine to get rid of is most likely significantly lower than the amount we calculated and three drops will be more than we need.

Fortunately, the worst thing sodium thiosulfate seems to be likely to do is cause skin irritation if there's a lot of it present and it would rinse out and/or be neutralized the moment you put the swimsuit on and jumped in chlorinated water again, so three drops is probably fine.

... and in the time it took to type this (since I'm at work and actually talking on the phone at the same time), I could have performed the practical procedure at least half a dozen times.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2008 03:44      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpySteen:
<insert a very geekily long winded explanation which essentially means "three drops, yer good.">

Hmm.. If that wasn't proof you deserve to be a member of this forum, nothing is.

A Mag. Valor for throwing in the pause for a soda is definitely deserved. I hope it was Mountain Dew. Though, personally I prefer Big Red. [Beard of Peter Gabriel!] [thumbsup]

--------------------
I'm curious... About what, you ask? EVERYTHING!

Posts: 2239 | From: Western WA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2008 15:10      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
___________________ No,__No,__No,__No,__No,__ You must try "Ruby Red Squirt" Damn thats good on a hot day.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2008 00:39      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Loved it when I was a kid. But, I haven't even seen it on a shelf since I was around 12.

--------------------
I'm curious... About what, you ask? EVERYTHING!

Posts: 2239 | From: Western WA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
NovemberMoon
Newbie Larva
Member # 23736

Icon 1 posted November 16, 2008 07:25      Profile for NovemberMoon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A huge thank you for the replies and the inputs. If I had known the answer to this equation, I would not have asked. And I realize that I have listed the variables I knew about in a somewhat sketchy way. For example, when I said +/- 0.3, I wasn't refering to a margin of error, but just said it has 'roughly' 0.3. Sorry.

Swimming in the nude : that sure would solve my swimsuit problem and be more pleasurable. But, public pools go by our judeo-christian heritage of nudity being sinful/evil. Nude option is out.

If I was filthy rich, I would be making too big a deal of this. I'd just buy swimsuits by the dozen. But I care about keeping in good shape, doing the daily laps, and the simwsuits are ruined by chlorine, no matter the care I take (rinsing under the shower, ringing, then soaking). Hence the neutralizing product sold by swimwear makers. But when I realized their gimmick (selling it 100 times the price of the same product for ... aquariums!), I figure that with a little help, we could figure out how much of the last we could use to do the same job as the first.
The swimsuit, mildly rang, brought from the pool, unpacked home, still holds a maximum of 500 ml (2 cups) of water, before being soaked in tap water. It may seem like a lot of water for a swimsuit, but so called chlorine resistant fabric is heavier then regular suits. But the observation that it probably no longer holds as much chlorine as the level found in indoor pool is right, since it has been rinsed already. But the fact is that it still holds plenty (it stinks of chlorine lol).

Again, I thank you for your answers. I asked because I was concerned that I might used too much of that stuff and create some adverse effect. lol

I will go with your answers. And probably extend the life of the swimsuits without ruining myself with either the chlorine neutralizer or the swimsuits. AND stay in tip top shape. :-))

Long live the Geeks!

Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2008 08:57      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This isn't scientific at all. I usually just take it in the shower with me and rinse it until it doesn't smell like clorine anymore.

I've had great luck buying new with tags swimsuits on ebay. That helps when you go through them quickly.

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture