homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Buying a printer

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Buying a printer
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2008 16:22      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After going for about a year without a printer, Jonathan and I have finally decided to bite the bullet and buy one. I looked at Consumer Reports' reviews, but they were very photo-printing heavy. We don't plan to print photos, or if we do, not many at all. With crafting, I print on shiny cardstock occasionally, so I'm thinking laser may be the way to go. We got rid of our previous printer (inkjet) because the print heads dried up; laser would eliminate that issue. Also, we're hoping to spend under $150. The printer would also use ink/toner that is moderately to not expensive. Aaaannnddd... it has to be compatible with Mac OS 10.3.9.

With all that to consider, would you give me some direction? There are so many options out there that I need help to make a wise decision. Also, are there any vendors you recommend?

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2008 16:44      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rhonnie,

If you are dead set on a color laser printer, you can expect to pay around $300 for a decent light duty one. Furthermore, expect the toner to cost way more than what you'd pay for ink cartridges, but they will cost less per page printed so they are worth it. If it were me, I'd go with a Lexmark because I have had good experiences with them in the past. Just my two cents.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2008 17:02      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I should've made it clearer: we don't want a color laser printer. Just black is just fine. [Smile]

--------------------

DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2008 17:38      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, then this might be what you are looking for.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2008 17:58      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most companies these days have sub-$150 monochrome lasers. I know Samsung has had the ML-2140 out for a while in that range.

At one point there was a Xerox Phaser 6110 color laser printer model that was selling for about $200. I don't see it on NewEgg anymore, so perhaps it was superseded by something.

Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2008 18:36      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do believe the 6110 has gone away. But Xerox does make relatively affordable printers. And they typically come with Mac, Windows, and *nix drivers. But their color lasers tend to be sluggish in their printing duties. Though the quality is pretty decent.

You can also prowl around for older HP laserjets. Those things are like the Timex of old. They truly last forever. And if you can purchase a surplus 2100 2200 or other equal model, these have a lot of user replaceable parts, their toner cartridges usually cost less and you also get things like the option to install Ethernet JetDirect cards and such.

I have a 2200 DN in the basement that has ticked along for two years on the same toner and is still doing great. Plus I can replace the fuser and rollers and all the other goodies to keep it in tip top shape.

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2008 19:01      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your help, guys! After following Dr. Who's links to Lexmark, I wound up at PC Magazine's site, and am now the proud owner of a Samsung ML-2851ND Mono Laser Printer. It was significantly marked down at OfficeMax ($95.36 with tax and free s/h), and I couldn't bring myself to buy a color laser printer, even though the prices were decent.

Oh, and Metasquares, are you talking about the Brother HL-2140?

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture