homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » HDD exchange on MacBook

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HDD exchange on MacBook
Tom- geeking around

Member # 2876

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 26, 2008 04:28      Profile for Tom- geeking around   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seem to have a problem with a MacBook dual-core ..
Details:13", 2,2 Ghz Dual-Core, 160 GB HDD.

I exchanged the HDD of said iBook. Since I didn't want to have to install all stuff again, I copied the HDD's contents using Ghost.
But after I put in the new HDD, it wouldn't boot properly. The light-gray screen appears with a blinking folder-icon (instead of the apple logo) and nothing more will happen.
Whats more, I can't read the partition-copy on other Windows machines using software that should.

Anything I did wrong? Any security measures I forgot? Is the partition encrypted or protected in any way?

Thanks for your input!

--------------------
Pizza and ginormous jugs is what I need!

Posts: 374 | From: Vienna | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 26, 2008 12:16      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a version of Ghost for Macs? I thought that was PC only, which most likely explains the problem. From what I saw at Symantec's website Ghost does not support the Mac filesystem, HFS+, so I doubt it could actually copy properly. Even if it did make a copy I'm not surprised that other machines can't read it, I bet the partition data is all fscked up, if even present.

If this is a Windows partition you're trying to copy over it may have something to do with Apple's Boot Camp software.

For Mac drive/volume cloning I use CarbonCopyCloner which allows me to make bootable copies. It works great and is free.

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 26, 2008 13:24      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I am probably with Tweety on this one Tom... I never clone a drive using another OS - regardless of what the software says... I clone Win to Win using Win and Mac to Mac using Mac to be sure the subtleties are maintained correctly.

For Win I usually use HDClone (the free version, I don't use Win a lot) and for Mac either Carbon Copy Cloner (which is free) or Shirt Pocket's excellent SuperDuper!

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 26, 2008 13:35      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
__________________ de TheMoMan __ Somebody please tell me if this is still the case? That the Mac install disk still has a suite of Disk Tools for setting up HDDs. My PC using friends found it incredible that I could wipe their drives and reformat or partition their drives on my SuperMac.

___Why dosen't MS offer something of like kind, oh yeah it is MS.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 26, 2008 16:45      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mo Man

the Mac Installer is quite capable of formatting drives in a variety of formats...

From memory that includes HFS (this may now be deprecated), HFS+ (Mac OS extended - with or without Journalling, and with or without case sensitivity), UFS and DOS (FAT)... can't recall if NTFS is an option... but I think it is (on later versions of Disk Utility at least)

I don't think ZFS is currently available - though I may be mistaken on that... haven't had to format many drives with my Mac in the recent past

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Dave
Geek
Member # 1977

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 26, 2008 17:43      Profile for Mr. Dave     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I swapped over the HD in my TiBook the first of the year. The shop that did the work did sort of a half-assed job of copying the data, but I still had the original drive (I had them put it into a FireWire case), and (entirely by coincidence) I had just bought a copy of Curtis Preston's book Backup and Recovery (that's the O'Reilly "gavial" book).

By following Mr. Preson's instructions, I was able to perfectly copy the original volume onto the new drive; for me this single exercise completely justified the book's purchase.

To make it work, I needed (and had) a second computer to provide an NFS share to hold the disk images. Here's a tip: cloning a disk volume, especially a startup volume, is more involved than just copying files, but OSX includes all the tools you need to do it.

The short version (not intended to replace the book) is: set up the NFS share on the other box, boot the Mac from DVD, open a Terminal session, mount the NFS share, use diskutil and pdisk to read the partition map on the old drive (and save it to the NFS volume), then use ditto to copy the volume proper to a .zip file on the NFS share. Next, use diskutil to format the new drive to match the old one (that's why you saved the partition map description earlier), use ditto to restore from the .zip file, and finally, bless the System folder on the restored volume. If you don't rebless the system folder, you won't be able to boot with it.

When I was done, my new drive looked exactly like my old drive, except that it had alot more free space [Smile] I did have the /etc, /var and /tmp symlinks become visible in Finder, but I was able to use /Developer/Tools/SetFile to hide them again.

Yes, that was the short version, but the only really hard part was waiting to see if everything worked.

I highly recommend Mr. Preston's book, which has a chapter each on OSX, Windows, Linux, AIX, Solaris and HP-UX, as well as a section on backing up various databases, one on backup hardware, and one on general backup strategies. The best part is that all the software he uses is either open-source or basic system tools.

If you really don't want to buy the book (and I think you should) I can give you more-detailed instructions, but you'll have to wait a week or two as I don't have the book handy at the moment.

--------------------
I'm not normally like this, but then I'm not normally normal.

Posts: 193 | From: Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragon34
Geek
Member # 997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 01, 2008 19:43      Profile for dragon34     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't know if this problem has been solved but Carbon Copy Cloner
written by Mike Bombich, who makes tons of free useful software is probably just what you need. The disk can be cloned while it is booted, which I find to be incredibly awesome (just don't run anything but CCC while cloning to be sure). Make sure the new drive is formatted HFS + Extended Journaled, and partitioned with the GUID partition scheme, (use the options button under the partitions tab in Disk Utility) or the Mac won't boot. MacBooks can boot off a USB enclosure too, so if you've already installed the new drive, turn the MacBook on while holding down option with your old drive connected to select it as the boot drive. Just be careful and make sure you are cloning in the right direction!

In all honesty, it could be that Ghost copied everything correctly but the partition on the new disk is not correct, and therefore not bootable. Unfortunately you would still have to reformat to fix that, but that can be done with Disk Utility and your install DVDs. Good luck, and PM me if you need further help.

Posts: 146 | From: Central PA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted October 02, 2008 17:57      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll third the motion on CC Cloner. Works like a charm.

Also -- and do I really have to keep saying this every time this issue pops up? -- external hard drives are cheaper than a jonesin' crack whore any more. If you don't have a dedicated back up hard drive or two that you can boot to, then you deserve to lose all your data.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted October 02, 2008 23:13      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now this is difficult to say but........

CP is correct. There, I've said it! [Big Grin] [Wink]

But seriously - I'm adding my voice to the recommendations for CarbonCopyCloner. It is excellent and has bailed me out a few times over the years.

There was one occasion recently though where CCC wouldn't copy a full clone back to the internal HDD of a Clamshell iBook. Luckily, I also have SuperDuper from ShirtPocket, and that copied the backup over to the internal HDD perfectly.

So, the moral of the story? Like CP said, have a couple of full bootable system backups, and probably a couple of different backup apps as well.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 03, 2008 01:39      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Colonel Panic:
external hard drives are cheaper than a jonesin' crack whore

I have 2 ( 1T external drives, not crack whores), I keep one in the desk drawer at work, and the other on my desk at home. Every time I do a backup, I take that drive to work, and bring the other one home, so if we get robbed, my most recent backup is safe.

I often work from home, and I don't ever want to have to explain to a client that I've lost X weeks work because I'm too cheap to buy a $200 backup drive.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 03, 2008 10:01      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I highly recommend SuperDuper, though CarbonCopyCloner should be just as good.

SuperDuper is the main reason I bought a WD MyBook that has Firewire - I completely cloned my HD to Firewire, and it's bootable! The latter is just so fantastic that words can hardly describe it. As such, I would recommend that everyone with a Mac should have a Firewire backup drive and use SuperDuper (or CCC) to make a bootable backup, as this completely protects against almost any kind of failure. (Except theft, failure of the backup drive, or... an EMP.)

If money is no object, you can buy a similar computer and clone the whole thing back in under an hour. This is obviously oriented towards people who need it for consulting or similar business interests, but can also be true of people who simply have an urgent need for their data. (Furthermore, if you can borrow a similar computer, you can be in business while your main machine is in the shop.)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture