homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Setting up a mail server

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Setting up a mail server
Mikebyrne
Geek
Member # 5105

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2008 00:27      Profile for Mikebyrne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All,

Im doing a case study where I have to implement a brand new email system to a hospital with 350+ pc's.

As I have no previous experience doing this I was just wondering what the logivcal steps would be?

ie Chosing mail software such as groupwise, settting up a mail sever, training etc

Posts: 127 | From: Ireland | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2008 07:25      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At first I misread your post, and for one brief but very scary moment I thought that this was an actual job rather than a theoretical study!

The way the question is phrased and my reaction on misreading it should give you enough clues as to how to research this. Mail servers pose security problems, and in a hospital this could obviously have serious consequences. So concentrate your researches on stability and security.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2008 11:12      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A detailed explanation may be found here.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9330 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mikebyrne
Geek
Member # 5105

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2008 14:03      Profile for Mikebyrne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to expand on the case study a little bit:

A widely deployed LAN/WAN exists in the hospital but its mainly used to support the Clinical systems but there's a cable drop into all offices.

Of the 350 machines targeted to get mail only 10% are what could be classed a "Modern Machines"

I've thought about the following areas but having no experience with mail servers all imput would be greatly received

1) How are the offices etc communicating in house. Besides the intercom and phone system

2)What the current network hardware is and will it need to be upgraded

3)Current OS on existing hardware + Network Security ie the possible conflicts

4) Email Software + Network Security conflicts

5) USERS - training + storage of usernames & passwords

6) Custome software on the system causing conflict with mission critical software on the network

7)Storage space (large 25mb x-ray attachments)

8) Law - Backing up the mail & Off site data retention

Posts: 127 | From: Ireland | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture