homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Second OS/X install from distibution disks

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Second OS/X install from distibution disks
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 13, 2008 20:12      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ummm... Let's say I have 3 macbook pros, and 2 have Leopard installed, but the third only has tiger. Does anyone know if the disks that come with an MBP will happily upgrade a tiger install, or do they wipe the disk clean? And yes, I'm aware this is sort of a license violation, I just want to get this done in less time than it will take to get a new copy in the mail.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 14, 2008 03:46      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
______________________quantumfluff Macs have in the firmware (BIOS) a code that the installer script looks for at bootup. I got a message that "This is not an iMac" when trying to install OS Eight into a Umax SuperMax. When OS Nine & OSX came out as a package the SuperMax could take OS Nine but not X.

If when starting from the CD it displays "upgrade OS" then you should be good to go. It has been a long time as I have been on various Linux distros for the last five years.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 14, 2008 15:40      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With the caveat that I am no Mac expert, but my educated guess is that they will either work, and if they do they will upgrade everything fine, (and you can always do an "archive and install" to be belt and braces safe), or they won't in which the installer will tell you so before quitting, leaving your discs untouched. OS X system install disks do not reformat the HD unless you select Disk Utility from the File menu and then choose that option. I don't think you will be taking any serious risks by trying.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 15, 2008 11:35      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let us know how it turns out. I have an, er, intellectual curiosity whether my own MBP disc will upgrade our older iMac G4.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 15, 2008 11:55      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you were looking to wipe the machine clean and then put Leopard on, I'd advise going the cloning route. But, I realize you're looking to upgrade.

Unfortunately, I seriously doubt it will work. I have two Mac mini's (both of them G4 vintage), and the install disks that came with my mini will only complete an install on my mini, not my wife's. The reverse also holds true. Exceptionally frustrating, but I solved that by writing the computer name on the DVD sleeve. Which, of course, is only useful when I actually look at the DVD sleeve instead of absentmindedly pulling the DVD from the sleeve and popping into the slot. Nope, never happens.

Have you tried checking out MacOSXHints.com? They might have some info somewhere. I'm sure it's possible, but may require you to gain access to the install packages. I had to do something similar to get Mac OS 8.6 installed under SheepShaver (essentially copy over to the disk image the System Folder used to boot the machine from CD).

Hmmm … that got me thinking. Couldn't you use Carbon Copy Cloner to copy over all the essential system binaries/files from a Leopard machine, overwriting the Tiger System binaries/files? Would that work?

If you do try the above, please, for the love of all that is binary and holy, make a full system backup. Also, my lawyer advises me to remind you that I in no way condone or support the above actions.

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture