homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Asking all Geeks?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Asking all Geeks?
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2008 08:44      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
__________________ Hi All __ I was gifted with two Dell laptops both would not boot, on arrival here at the HillTop. I now have the PIII running with WinBlows and it appears to handle the Ham Shack chores well.

____The other one is a much different story, No batteries, No Charger. I am trying to find a wiring diagram to power it off of the Big receiver as it has a few power ports across the pack panel. The other option is to figure out the pin-out of the charger jack or the battery pack. No I am not going to use Li-ion batteries in a Ham brewed circuit, if the pros can get them wrong, I'm not going to try.

_____So if anyone has the info I need on a Dell Inspireron 5150 and or its battery pack 6T473

_____The Machine is good as I have have powered it up with a good battery (loaner) Short of cutting open that battery or taking it to the vets to see the wiring inside (via x-ray) can any one help with this info, I have so far found many places ready to sell me new batteries but that is not what I want, I want "info" any takers?

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2008 09:14      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey MoMan. My suggestion is, rather than trying to source a stock Dell power adapter, get a hold of a Targus kit with the interchangable adapters. I have used one I have here for my HP, and my girl's Dell with great results.

The model I use is the APA10. It works flawlessly and has enough juice to keep my stuff running and well charged, and hasn't overcharged anything yet either.

The battery pack is another matter. Those things are a bitch to find in good condition used, so if you are set on a battery, I would just bite the bullet and buy new. Also, IIRC, the 5150 had issues with overheating. So keep an eye on the cleanliness of the fan ducts and do your best to keep it cool.

Here's the Targus link. It isn't cheap, but what I like about it, is the fact that I can use it on more than one laptop just by changing tips out.

And here is the link to Dell's manuals on the 5150. Including a service manual.

Good luck.

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2008 03:30      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____________________ CommanderShroom __ I guess I did not make my self clear on gifted machines I will not expend any money until I find out if it is worth rescue. At this point the machine appears to draw excessive current, so buying for a battery would not be wise, the power in female plug was damaged so going and getting a substitute power supply ? How ever your link to a service manual and possible wiring diags. is quite helpful. The machine in question is quieter in the ham bands (electronically) than the other gifted machine. So I intend to build a power supply.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 01, 2008 02:56      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_________________ Hi Y'all __ Well of the info CommanderShroom pointed me towards, most is R&R information, not actual repair specs. so I am back to asking for DOES ANY ONE know the PINOUT for a 6T473 Battery, or the test point locations and values on the mobo?

Is all this info trade secrets?

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 01, 2008 03:26      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
DOES ANY ONE know the PINOUT for a 6T473 Battery, or the test point locations and values on the mobo?

Not the pinouts, but this might help

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 01, 2008 15:24      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
___________________ The Famous Druid __&__ CommanderShroom __ Between the two of you. I Have enough info to effect a rescue of this old Ins. 5150 I could not find the polarities of the two ring connectors.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 07, 2008 03:16      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
___________________ Update on the gifted Dells, The PIII runs great, it need to have the HDD nuked and a new OS installed, other than the smallish keyboard this is a nice machine.

____ The PIV armed with the info on the power plug and my test equipment I attempted to power this thing up. Using the circuit traces from the power plug I discovered that there is a low resistance path on the way to the charge circuit. This thing draws full power without a battery or being turned on. I am still trying to find out the internal battery connections to be able to build a battery substitute.

____ Does any one know how to convert this laptop's screen into a Monitor for a different comp?

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture