homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Best OS X email client?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Best OS X email client?
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted August 19, 2008 15:23      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, maybe not best, but anyone have any good recommendations?

Currently, I am using Mail for some work related emails and Thunderbird for personal email. Mail does what I need, so I'm happy with it.

Now, Thunderbird also does what I need, but reacts like tar in the Arctic half the time. I have multiple email accounts I need to access, so that's definitely a criteria. I also want it to have HTML support for those "special" occasions when I want to send an HTML email (I know, I know, HTML emails are teh evil, along with MS, but, hey, I'm evil).

Anyway, I was hoping to get everyone's feedback on what you all like to use. So, consider this as "Suggestion Box Now Open." Please cast your ballots below.

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 19, 2008 18:37      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
gmail is the best mail client.

1. Tags are a much better concept the folders.
2. When my machine dies my mail is still safe.
3. When my notebook gets confiscated by US customs upon reentering the country, my mail isn't on it.

Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 19, 2008 22:42      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
qf: make sure you turn on SSL!

link

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted August 19, 2008 23:10      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Littlefish - thanks for the tip-off. I have now changed my googlemail settings accordingly. [Smile]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 20, 2008 08:14      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I already use Gmail for all personal email. And, as I have yet to get a laptop, I'm not worried about customs grabbing hold of my personal data, unless they do a cavity search. [Big Grin]

Seriously, though, I do like to have everything local, for when the Intarwebs go down, or Comcast craps out on me. That way, if I need to look anything up I'm not dependent on a network connection. I also make (semi)regular backups, so I'm not horribly worried about actually losing any of my mail. Although, maybe I should just reset my Gmail settings to leave a copy with Google.

--------------------
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 20, 2008 15:38      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I generally use Apple Mail for my Gmail account. If you enable IMAP on your Gmail account, everything still stays stored on the Google servers, so you can still access all your email via a web browser, and you still have copies on your HD for when you have no Internet connection.

There are basic instructions as to how to set up this on the Gmail Help Pages, but what they don't tell you is that you must also remember to map the Gmail Spam, Sent, Draft, and Trash mailboxes to the equivalent Apple Mail ones to get everything to sync up correctly.

I think this is probably the best solution for using Gmail if your Internet connection is flaky.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 21, 2008 11:20      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cally – It's not so much my net connection is flaky. In fact, it is pretty solid. It's those rare occasions, though, when it does go down that I inevitably find myself needing some information out of some long forgotten email. Still, your suggestion to turn on IMAP and leave mail sitting on the server sounds like a good one.

I think I may have caused some general confusion by my original post. Let me try to clarify. My current email setup is this: Mail.app for grabbing work related emails from host. Thunderbird for grabbing my Gmail (multiple accounts) and Mrs Tweety's email.

My problem with Thunderbird is namely that it can be slower than GWB to react. If not utilized for some time (left running but given no love) it seems to beachball until I'm seeing nets and sand. Any longer and I'm sure I'll have a Corona in my hand while I lay on a hammock strung between two palm trees.

Anyway, I just wanted to know what you all use, to compare/contrast before I do something foolish like start moving email accounts from one email app to another in some sort of crazed search for the Holy Grail of Email Apps.

--------------------
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Moe Monkey
Geek
Member # 1900

Icon 1 posted August 22, 2008 17:31      Profile for Moe Monkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a similar setup to Calli's, seems to work well except at work where our mouth-breathing ITs have shut down almost every port "for security," including the ones GMail uses. [Mad]
Posts: 145 | From: The couch in the living room | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 22, 2008 18:11      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tweety, I use Mail.app, though I periodically try others. The main reason I stick with Mail is because it's the fastest at searching, and I don't like to organise my mail. And because it integrates so well with Spotlight.
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
davor
Mini Geek
Member # 3073

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 25, 2008 03:13      Profile for davor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use Apple Mail and loving it.

--------------------
Davor

http://davortech.wordpress.com

Posts: 51 | From: europe | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 27, 2008 17:16      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey All – Just wanted to say Thank You, again, for all the advice. Looks like I'll just stick to my current config and see what happens. Beside, I just an epiphany today, if I ultimately do get an iMac and Macbook, I'll be using the Macbook for all my personal stuff, so no need to worry about resource constriction.

--------------------
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2008 00:57      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a quick question for any mail users. I have an odd bug that the search box in mail does not work for me.

If I put in a search term, it will find few/no matching messages.

I don't use mail that much, so it isn't a deal breaker. I have to use spotlight for a systemwide search just to sort my mail. Any ideas? (Latest OSX, black macbook)

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2008 16:39      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
littlefish when you type something into the search box of Mail does a new toolbar appear that allows you to select in which mailbox and part of the message you are searching? Occasionally I get the wrong combination, which skews results.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture