homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » The cyber graveyard

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The cyber graveyard
Antiquity
Geek Larva
Member # 20684

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 12, 2008 14:58      Profile for Antiquity   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
So I have a website, it wasn't set up long ago so i have only a few members but i would really love to have more. Only thing is I dont know how im gonna get them.

I just wanna know from u guys, how do u think i can get it 'out there', i do not want to tell classmates as i'd love this to be an independant thing instead of a few easy hits. But i'm stuck in a rut, as its no use having content on there if there is no way people will see it.

I dont know what i can do to get this to be a success, what makes you go and return to a website, or find one in the first place, please help

check it out and then give me feedback

www.ivegotissues.co.uk (a.k.a the cyber graveyard lol)

Posts: 27 | From: London | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 12, 2008 19:19      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why would anyone visit your website? It hardly counts as a website; all you've done is put up a forum. The only piece of content there is your film, which isn't nearly enough to build a community around (if people want to discuss it, they can just use Youtube comments).

Apart from that, all you have is a domain name and an idea, both of which are nearly worthless - that's not to say that your idea is bad, but an idea is worth nothing unless it's backed up by someone who's willing to put in a lot of effort to see it work.

If you really want your website to be successful, spend a year or so writing about issues, making films, interviewing people, whatever it takes to build up some content. It's pointless worrying about getting it 'out there' until you do. Yes it's hard work, but that's what it will take.

(If you don't want to create anything, communities can also work around online gaming clans and things, but you still need a central focus).

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
AntonTakk
Mini Geek
Member # 4686

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 12, 2008 19:33      Profile for AntonTakk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think maximile has it dead right. you can't build a community around an empty lot ( i've tried [Big Grin] )

--------------------
`My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look upon my works, ye mighty, and despair!' - Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posts: 83 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 12, 2008 19:57      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
. . . Also, the forum you used isn't very pretty to look at.

If you look at GC's (geekculture.com) forum:

1. The forum takes up the entire screen width.

2. It's complex in that you have all the forum options you want but it still looks clean and simple.

3. And like the others have said, there is more to GC then just the forum. So add a good homepage to your site with maybe a blog or something to start with. Then expand and create something that you can have an audience base that will keep coming back every day.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Antiquity
Geek Larva
Member # 20684

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 13, 2008 07:33      Profile for Antiquity   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i did have the same forum as GC for a while, its called Spitz forum.

However i figured it was easier for me to have a content management system(thats what i built it on) as it is easier to build on than working with HTML. The forum and indeed the layout that i have came with the system, obv. i didnt personally design it that way cos ur right, it does look crap but theres nothing i can do about the amount of screen it takes up, the colour. Its there and i cant change it.

Antiquity
Geek Larva
Member # 20684

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 13, 2008 08:11      Profile for Antiquity   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, i dont really have the time to invest in it, and your right when you say it takes hard work. Thing is, the new school term starts too and i will be busy with national exams so i dont have the time, all the while im paying for hosting. I have been considering giving up because i dont see how it would work because it

a) does look bad (the content management system design, not mine ill have u know)
b) does not have much on it
c) is generally just extra thing to stress about

your comments made me realise that it is unlikely anyone will go on it unless it gets ALOT better (and i never said it was good to start with) so ye, perhaps its time to exit cyberspace.

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 13, 2008 09:42      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having a website because you want to have a successful website is like being Paris Hilton... famous for being famous, but devoid of real substance.

Do you have something unique or different in mind for your site or are you just trying to clone what already exists a thousand times over on the net? If you have something unique, by all means continue with your site. If, on the other hand, you're just creating a duplicate of what's already been done thousands of times before, you're probably better off letting it go.

Also, I browse the web sith javascript disabled by default. Without javascript, your website appears to be completely devoid of content. That's actually a serious issue.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Antiquity
Geek Larva
Member # 20684

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 13, 2008 10:39      Profile for Antiquity   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i dont have anything ingenius in my website, no.
It actually evolved as a spontaneous idea after i put the ivegotissues voiceover in my video and i thought it would be fun but clearly i was wrong.
There are a few posts in the forums and a review for a film, so its not totally devoid of content and finally, i have taken the advice of the masses and it is no longer in existence.

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted August 13, 2008 11:32      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Antiquity - don't get disheartened. The feedback you got on your website was honest and to the point, however you asked for opinions and they were given to you straight, that's all.

Whilst you primarily came here looking to generate some interest in your website, if you choose to stay and join in the debates you will find that this is a good community and a pleasant place to spend some time.

So, sit back, crack a beer and see how you fit in. [Smile]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 13, 2008 12:16      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the deal antiquity. No one is telling you to leave. Or even to delete the site. It's your call. But the thing is, you need to create the content for this site. You need to give people a reason to go and check it out.

See you really should start it off as a local thing. The best stuff starts out small. You and maybe a few trusted mates get together. Review, critique, bitch about, places you see and go. Shows, food, places that people hang out, whatever. Get stuff up there, create content that makes people want to be a part of this deal. Then make it possible for people to rate or comment or make their own posts.

A handful of posts is not gonna make people suddenly create accounts and wet their knickers over you.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Antiquity
Geek Larva
Member # 20684

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 13, 2008 14:46      Profile for Antiquity   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
im not offended or disheartened, but to be honest i have been sceptical for a while, the comments just brought it home that i should give it up, so i have. its no skin off my nose, it wasnt a lifetime ambition. I dont have enough enthusiasm to build it up gradually, so i recognise the fact its a lost cause so its cool but thanks for ur advice anyway.

p.s Of course i will stay, i didnt join just to promote my website!

CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 14, 2008 08:04      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then by all means grab a snack, put on your flame retardant pj's and set a spell. [Smile]
Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture