homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Cross-posting and reposting etiquette?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cross-posting and reposting etiquette?
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted August 02, 2008 04:36      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, now that we've handled successive posts, how do people feel about cross-posting? I don't mean posting the same topic in multiple areas of the forum. I mean someone reposting content from their blog or that they've posted on a different forum.

This is another one I'm on the fence on. I know some people do it, and I don't particularly care since I don't read their blogs with any regularity, but I can see where it would be annoying if the people with blogs I do read reposted their content. And on the other side, there are two different sets of people, both of whom might be interested in a link or discussion, with only a small overlap that read both.

Also: how do you feel about people taking a discussion topic from the forums and blogging about it or introducing it on another forum? (Obviously not C+V the entire discussion. That would be creepy.) Like recently I took the Batman = Bush thing to my blog after the discussion here had gotten off topic. But does that detract from the quality of discussion here if people take their opinions elsewhere?

Just asking.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 02, 2008 04:51      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IMO, I guess it would get under my skin if everybody pulled topics from their blog and then posted about them on GC. In all reality, I do not follow blogs, so guess I would never know if they did that or not. As far as taking it from GC and posting it on their blog, I don't see why that would make a difference. Again, this is just my opinion [Razz]

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 02, 2008 06:18      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't see a problem per se. A different crowd will produce different responses, and one may want to see many points of view.

The one semi-related thing I dislike is when someone gives a link (be it a blog or an article) then goes "what do you think" without giving any idea of what it is about or what I am to expect by clicking on the link. I would appreciate some background, or if the poster shared his/her own thoughts on the subject along the link, so I can decide whether I want to read that or if it's a waste of time for me. Otherwise, I tend to ignore the link, and let other discuss it until I know what it is about.

That's just my opinion, of course.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted August 02, 2008 06:30      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:
The one semi-related thing I dislike is when someone gives a link (be it a blog or an article) then goes "what do you think" without giving any idea of what it is about or what I am to expect by clicking on the link. I would appreciate some background, or if the poster shared his/her own thoughts on the subject along the link, so I can decide whether I want to read that or if it's a waste of time for me. Otherwise, I tend to ignore the link, and let other discuss it until I know what it is about.

Yeah, I tend to ignore links that don't come with any information. Also YouTube links, unless the post has really piqued my interest, since I have to open another browser to watch videos these days. (Broke Flash in Opera somehow, too lazy to fix it, just use FireFox if I need Flash.)

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 02, 2008 06:58      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to post things found elsewhere, but now I realise that everyone reads the same things as I do.
In case not, here are some good sources of links, and now I'll never need to cross post.
What I expect everyone has already heard of:
slashdot
daring fireball
b3ta
bbc
fark
the times
the register
And two which might entertain others, but I only visit sporadically:
slumbering lungfish
big contrarian

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 02, 2008 07:17      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have a problem with people taking there topics from other forums or blogs. I think it would bring more diversity to the forums. Like the one word game I introduced to the forums awhile ago I took straight from another forum I belonged to.

I agree with Stereo on the link thing as well, especially when the link is from reddit/ digg/ etc and half of us have all ready seen it before.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 02, 2008 08:24      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, crossposting from other blogs/fora doesn't bug me, as I don't ever read blogs and only rarely visit other fora. The "What do you think about this link" posts, though, do bug me... why do you expect me to tell you how I feel if you haven't at least gave me some idea how you feel about it?

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture