homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Forum Response Etiquette

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Forum Response Etiquette
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2008 02:38      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know there are some strong feelings on the subject but...

From an individual poster, do you prefer a single post in response to many different posters or individual posts in response to each poster, especially if the conversation has veered in multiple directions, depending on who is participating?

I'm on the fence. I know I'm sometimes annoyed by multiple, successive posts by the same person. But then, the longer the replies, the more I tend to feel like they deserve their own posts. But I find myself responding more and more to each individual post, rather than aggregating my posts in a single reply. Maybe a result of using some threaded boards, where responses don't show up consecutively, but instead follow the post to which they are a response. (See LiveJournal comments for an example if I was unclear.)

Opinions?

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 29, 2008 03:32      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_______________________ FS I am a member at QRZ also on their forums a person may respond to a single persons reply right under the post or post at the end of the thread, this sometimes makes for confusing reading.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 29, 2008 03:32      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess I prefer the "one long-arse post" form of response over many individual posts to each respondent. I think it has to do with the fact that this is a public forum, and so while you are directing your response to a particular person, your true audience is still everyone.

Or maybe that explanation is hogwash and I can't really justify my opinion, but that's the beauty of an opinion, isn't it? I don't have to justify it if I don't really want to, and, ideally, it's open to change should someone else's arguments warrant a change in position. I suppose the only justification I have is: "because that's what traditional rules of netiquette call for." Oh, and it uses less bandwidth than loading all those "post reply" pages, and bandwidth is scarce nowadays. [Razz]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 29, 2008 03:47      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fs is right...

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 29, 2008 03:50      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
... multi-posting is for attention whores. [Smile]

--------------------

fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2008 03:53      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MacManKrisK:
I think it has to do with the fact that this is a public forum, and so while you are directing your response to a particular person, your true audience is still everyone.

Yes, but sometimes the subject diverges and one person is talking about the price of tea in China and someone else is talking about the price of rice in China, so it's not so much a response to an indivdual person as a specific comment. I think I was a bit unclear on that.

I think it's the part of me that likes to categorize and organize and tag things too; that thinks the "tea in China" should be separated from the "rice in China" content somehow.

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 29, 2008 04:27      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_________________________ fs __ Will your plan help or hinder the art of thread-jacking.

Lets be truthful here these forums have been going on a long time, more than any TV series (not counting soaps). So how do we get more people involved and keep them involved, I know that many posters that I liked to read their point of view have left, and without diversity we just become a crowd of back slappers and you're right brother or sister. Too many insightful people have left, I hope that they were not offended and left or I hope they upgraded their computer and did not know how to regain their password.

Me wonders if Snaggy could do a spam of all members to invite them back, I would not mind, that form of spam.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2008 04:56      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
_________________________ fs __ Will your plan help or hinder the art of thread-jacking.

Lets be truthful here these forums have been going on a long time, more than any TV series (not counting soaps). So how do we get more people involved and keep them involved, I know that many posters that I liked to read their point of view have left, and without diversity we just become a crowd of back slappers and you're right brother or sister. Too many insightful people have left, I hope that they were not offended and left or I hope they upgraded their computer and did not know how to regain their password.

Me wonders if Snaggy could do a spam of all members to invite them back, I would not mind, that form of spam.

Hah, I think this is a different topic. My post was purely about the etiquette of consecutive posts by the same user in a single topic.

So I answered your post here.

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 29, 2008 09:03      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_______________________ FS _ I did follow the link and will reply both places, I used to enjoy a good thread-jack, and I like you feel the the hot button topics do draw a crowd or turn it away much like a street fight. So much of the politics discussion is basic gut feeling and we are not going to change minds, some times I post to politics but it is getting less and less. Now about Snaggy spamming us Good or Bad?

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 29, 2008 10:20      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always done quote, submit, quote, copy, back, edit, paste, etc to make multi posts. I don't like successive posts.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 29, 2008 10:20      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As you are asking for opinions: I prefer grouping responses into a single post. We're supposed to be geeks, after all, we should be able to handle multiple threads... [Wink] Anyway, some forking does group back later on. Plus, I think it avoids useless forking. Just my opinion, anyway.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted July 29, 2008 10:47      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I try to keep my posts nice and tidy, quoting parts I'm replying to an individual, though I rarely do to several ones.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2008 10:54      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm fine with a single post in response to multiple earlier posts. If you preface each comment within the post with the name of the person you are replying to, it keeps everything simple.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 29, 2008 11:48      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:
Plus, I think it avoids useless forking.

C'mon, is there such a thing? [Wink]

--------------------

stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 29, 2008 21:13      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think a reply should be kept to one post. I also think that a topic can diversify as long as it stays within its bounderies. If a person has a completly different question then it should have its own topic. And people shouldn't quote an lenghty post to just add "I want to see pictures".

I know I do this sometimes but I also have a bit of a problem when people reply to others in one post but commenting individually on what they have said.
"Stereo - . . . .
Steen - . . . ."

This is a good way to get everything organized but when you only address half the previous posters to your topic personally it makes the rest of us feel like the effort we put into posting was a waste of time.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 30, 2008 06:46      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
______________________ stevenback7 __ there is the rub, I have read the rest of the comments and posts but I want to address you. Now I did not try to blow off the rest of the posters, I am addressing you, so does FS and all the others have an issue with me noting your comment. I would hope not, I may agree with some of the other posters or I may not, but not as strongly as you. Please do not feel that I did not note your reply. Nobody here is chopped liver, though I do not like liver, I read all posts but do not reply to all posters you all have valid view points Even Cough (#$%).

Case in point we often jump on a first poster for asking a question right off the get go, but we have a topic ask a geek. I have asked questions that I thought some one here could steer me in the right direction, little or no help. Now if it is a political question, those seem to take on a life of their own, and of course the Mac/PC lines and flame wars.

How do we keep these forums interesting and vibrant and get back some of the old timers, who had some very good views,

There now, I have scatter gunned some topics so where will this thread go from here.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 30, 2008 13:46      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by stevenback7:
This is a good way to get everything organized but when you only address half the previous posters to your topic personally it makes the rest of us feel like the effort we put into posting was a waste of time.

Hmm. I don't feel like posting was a waste of time if nobody addresses it. I feel like I did such an awesome job that I left them flabbergasted and speechless with awe.

But seriously, I've never been bothered if someone didn't respond. Even if I was responding to a specific post, I don't expect that person to necessarily reply. We all run out of steam, or sometimes a particular point or phrase is what piques my interest. Once in a while I'll toss in a "good post" or "I agree" without adding something, but usually if I feel that the poster has taken an unpopular stance or has put a lot of themself into it. I think it would be a little weird to just "good post" or "yeah" everyone just because they responded.

--------------------

stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 30, 2008 14:04      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fs:
quote:

Hmm. I don't feel like posting was a waste of time if nobody addresses it. I feel like I did such an awesome job that I left them flabbergasted and speechless with awe.

But seriously, I've never been bothered if someone didn't respond. Even if I was responding to a specific post, I don't expect that person to necessarily reply. We all run out of steam, or sometimes a particular point or phrase is what piques my interest. Once in a while I'll toss in a "good post" or "I agree" without adding something, but usually if I feel that the poster has taken an unpopular stance or has put a lot of themself into it. I think it would be a little weird to just "good post" or "yeah" everyone just because they responded.

Oh yeah, I didn't mean it as that you should address everyone personally in the post if you are just going to say "good job" or something to that extent to everyone. And I wasn't saying that i'm an attention grabbing young adult who needs to be acknowledged everytime.

But if you are going to adress people personally, the proper etiquette would be to acknowledge the existence of the geek mob or the presumption would be that you agree with those you don't acknowledge.

*waves to the geek mob*

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 30, 2008 19:12      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:
Plus, I think it avoids useless forking.

C'mon, is there such a thing? [Wink]
I don't know about forking, but spooning is never useless!! [Applause]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 30, 2008 19:22      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, welcome back from the dead Rhonnie.. Good to see you around her again [Big Grin]

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 31, 2008 01:38      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
But if you are going to adress people personally, the proper etiquette would be to acknowledge the existence of the geek mob or the presumption would be that you agree with those you don't acknowledge.

Oh, I don't think that not acknowledging or responding to a post indicates agreement. I know often there are posts I disagree with and don't respond to. (By that logic, everyone who is ignoring neocon trolls would agree with neocons, for instance.)

Just because I responded to a post by stevenback7 doesn't mean that everyone else is excluded, though. To me, it's like being at a party, and just because I'm standing by the punch bowl discussing PBX systems with a couple guys doesn't mean that I automatically agree (or disagree) with the opinions of the people who are discussing VOIP. Doesn't even mean I'm ignoring them. Doesn't mean that the conversation isn't open to anyone that thinks "Hey, I want to talk about PBX too!" Just that my interest is engaged by the PBX facet of the topic "telephony" while other people are engaged by something else. And then when it comes around to doing VOIP with your PBX, we'll all be somewhere else, again.

--------------------

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 31, 2008 04:40      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*considers the political crap on the forums*

*considers the idea of seeing two posts in a row by someone*

Umm... yeah. Gotta say I don't much care of someone posts twice in a row.

It's all well and fine to want things exactly the way you want them, but at some point it makes you sound like a snobbish idiot who is trying to hold others to an unrealistic standard.

Just sayin'

*goes back to mostly lurking*

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted August 02, 2008 04:15      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
It's all well and fine to want things exactly the way you want them, but at some point it makes you sound like a snobbish idiot who is trying to hold others to an unrealistic standard.

Just sayin'

I was asking a question to see if there was an overwhelming preference one way or the other. So I could, you know, try to be considerate and not piss off vast numbers of people unintentionally if it seemed like there was a clear-cut preference.

(And it appears there is, for single posts, so I'll try to pay attention and not do it anymore. Sorry everyone.)

--------------------

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 02, 2008 10:29      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
fs:
It was some of the responses that seemed overly picky to me, not your question.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted August 02, 2008 11:02      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steen:
Thanks for the clarification, I misunderstood. (I didn't think I was being picky, but you never know...)

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture