homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Do you think humans are ready for the news of aliens?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Do you think humans are ready for the news of aliens?
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted July 23, 2008 09:10      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saw this today...
Aliens have contacted humans several times but governments have hidden the truth for 60 years, the sixth man to walk on the moon has claimed.

Apollo 14 astronaut Dr Edgar Mitchell, said he was aware of many UFO visits to Earth during his career with NASA but each one was covered up.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1037471/Apollo-14-astronaut-claims-aliens-HAVE-contact--covered-60-years.html

OK, so it's proof walking on the moon makes you crazy, but in case he is not, do you think humans could "handle" the news that we are not alone in the Universe?

I think we could, and I can't see why governments would still want to cover it up. I can see it changing the world's outlook, but I think that after the shock/elation/wonder wore off, we would still have a need for government and grocery stores and iPods.

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 23, 2008 09:53      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every time I see something about aliens visiting us it makes me wonder why they would bother coming here. I mean we are a backward species what with the way we treat our planet and our fellow men. The only explanation I can even conceive of is they must pity us and hope to be of some good.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 23, 2008 10:04      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You don't really believe the "Apollo Astronauts" walked on the moon, do you?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 23, 2008 10:08      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The universe is a big place and travel through it appears to be limited by the speed of light. That means that the existence of extraterrestrial life is quite likely, but also means that the chance of it contacting us is rather small.

Can we handle aliens? Probably not; we can't even get over our xenophobia towards other varieties of human beings.

That said, we'd better tolerate any that can reach us, because if they can travel to earth, they almost certainly possess greater technological sophistication than we currently have.

Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 23, 2008 14:40      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Metasquares:
That said, we'd better tolerate any that can reach us, because if they can travel to earth, they almost certainly possess greater technological sophistication than we currently have.

True, but it would seem that attaining that level of technology toward some sort of /useful/, rather than destructive, end would only be capable from a truly peaceful race. The kind of race that work together to better themselves, rather than wasting precious resources (and lives) fighting for control of those same scarce resources.

In other words, the only aliens that could have that kind of technology would almost /have/ to be peaceful alien hippies, and we could (and knowing humanity all too well, probably *would*) totally kick their arse.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted July 23, 2008 16:20      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The reason for the cover-up is that the aliens run the government! [Eek!]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 23, 2008 17:46      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_________________________ I dunno would their headline read, life forms found on third rock from the Yellow dwarf!! More to follow at the late night news cast.

____ That can not be any worse than our headlines.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 23, 2008 19:18      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um, well then. Not quite what I expected from an astronaut, but then again, pilots have been known to talk about UFO sightings. And, lest we forget, the distinguished gentleman took a very long walk in a near complete vacuum and is 77; weird things can happen to one's mind at that age.

Having said that, I don't believe that c is an absolute speed limit. Sure, if you're flat out trying to get there you'll hit infinite mass at the same time you hit c. But, what if you could warp space and ride along the crests a la Star Trek? You then are able to cover a significant amount of space in a short period of time without having to come close to c. Now, how you would go about actually bending space is a whole other question and until I receive my PhD in Physics from that online school located in some small ex-Soviet satellite I won't be able to tell you.

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 24, 2008 03:18      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____________________ tweety No, No, No, a thousand times No. You hitch a ride on a tachyon, those little particles are fast and reportedly faster than c. Now here is the concept problem, since they are so fast they disappear before they appear so if you saw one go across your cloud chamber if was actually going the other way, much like a tractor tire track, points to where it came from.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 24, 2008 04:47      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Curious nobody raised this piece of wisdom about extra-terrestrial life...

Calvin to Hobbs: “Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.”

More seriously, I would like to add that the astronauts were then chosen for they physical capacities and ability to handle extreme stress (often they were test pilots) more than their intellect. They had to be smart, sure, but not necessarily scientists or anything.

As for c, let's remember not so long ago the scientists thought that Mach 1 was an absolute limit. Maybe the observations and measures made that indicate c cannot be reached are not correct because the tools used aren't precise enough. Or that we're measuring the wrong thing (I mean, maybe yes, under a 4-dimensional test c is absolute, but if we were measuring with 10 dimensions, it would change the conclusion. There is the Newtonian physics, the relativistic physics, we may not yet have fully cracked the multidimensional physics.) After all, if there are still PhD students in pure physics that get their diplomas, it's because we still haven't found everything there is to find about our universe.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 24, 2008 08:52      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
OK, so it's proof walking on the moon makes you crazy, but in case he is not, do you think humans could "handle" the news that we are not alone in the Universe?

I think we could, and I can't see why governments would still want to cover it up. I can see it changing the world's outlook, but I think that after the shock/elation/wonder wore off, we would still have a need for government and grocery stores and iPods.

Never underestimate the power of humans to take the fantastic, awe-inspiring, amazing, and revolutionary and immediately make it common place and mundane.

If aliens were to show up on earth tomorrow there would be:

A) A small subset of humanity (mostly SETI researchers) would wax poetic about how this will revolutionize the future, open up amazing new vistas of discovery, is the harbinger of a new era for mankind, and all that jazz.

B) A small subset of humanity (mostly religious fundamentalists and members of various faith-based racial supremacy organizations) railing about the imminent destruction of humanity, aliens being the agents of Satan, and so forth. Fred Phelps would immediately register godhatesalphacentauri.com.

C) A small subset of humanity (mostly forward thinking business types) would immediately try to sign aliens for various exclusive promotional deals and hire them, with assorted NDAs. McDonald's would include alien action figures in happy meals, Nike would make alien space-sneakers, and Jeff Bezos would immediately patent the aliens, the alien ships, a meteor that might be an alien, and the rest of outer space, just for good measure.

D) A larger subset of humanity would go out and buy Nike alien sneakers and drink McAlien shakes.

E) Slashdot would immediately begin hunting for examples of prior aliens to get Jeff Bezos's patent revoked.

F) The military industrial complex would immediately recognize aliens as the Next Big Enemy (TM) that will necessitate the goverments of the world buying twenty thousand dollar hammers and hiring contractors. They would also convince various governments to pass secret laws that we aren't allowed to look at entitling them to full use of Jeff Bezos's Patented Alien Technology (TM) without remuneration.

G) Most of the rest of humanity would be to busy with their lives to care.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted July 24, 2008 09:05      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Curious nobody raised this piece of wisdom about extra-terrestrial life...

Calvin to Hobbs: “Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.”

Some of the UFO transmissons have been decoded ... apparently they mean us no harm.   [Geek]
quote:
Distant End: Are they dead yet?

Local: No ... they're still here and there's more of them.

Distant End: Damn ... Maybe next year they'll succeed at self-extinction.

Local: And then we sell the planet for scrap under Space-Salvage law?

Distant End: Exactly!

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 24, 2008 09:34      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
fs wrote:

If aliens were to show up on earth tomorrow there would be:

A) A small subset of humanity (mostly SETI researchers) would wax poetic about how this will revolutionize the future, open up amazing new vistas of discovery, is the harbinger of a new era for mankind, and all that jazz.

B) A small subset of humanity (mostly religious fundamentalists and members of various faith-based racial supremacy organizations) railing about the imminent destruction of humanity, aliens being the agents of Satan, and so forth. Fred Phelps would immediately register godhatesalphacentauri.com.

C) A small subset of humanity (mostly forward thinking business types) would immediately try to sign aliens for various exclusive promotional deals and hire them, with assorted NDAs. McDonald's would include alien action figures in happy meals, Nike would make alien space-sneakers, and Jeff Bezos would immediately patent the aliens, the alien ships, a meteor that might be an alien, and the rest of outer space, just for good measure.

D) A larger subset of humanity would go out and buy Nike alien sneakers and drink McAlien shakes.

E) Slashdot would immediately try to find examples of prior aliens to get Jeff Bezos's patent revoked.

F) The majority of humanity would be to busy with their lives to care.

You forgot the small subset that has purchased the Area 51 Love Doll which, according to the description, features three breasts and ass-shaped ears.

... and that small subset of humanity is the biggest reason why aliens will most likely avoid us like the plague if they ever do find us.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted July 24, 2008 13:49      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a Cookbook! IT'S A COOKBOOK!
Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 24, 2008 14:04      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oops. Meant to edit, not quote.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 24, 2008 15:53      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HalfVast:
It's a Cookbook! IT'S A COOKBOOK!

Ahah... I get it!

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 24, 2008 19:18      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CrawGator: Every time I see something about aliens visiting us it makes me wonder why they would bother coming here. I mean we are a backward species what with the way we treat our planet and our fellow men. The only explanation I can even conceive of is they must pity us and hope to be of some good.
Why? Because you can smell really good dry-rubbed BBQ from space. And it's mighty inviting!

Yesterday, I saw aliens in my garden carrying away my friend.

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
shentzu
Geek
Member # 2253

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted July 26, 2008 13:15      Profile for shentzu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Every time I see something about aliens visiting us it makes me wonder why they would bother coming here. I mean we are a backward species what with the way we treat our planet and our fellow men. The only explanation I can even conceive of is they must pity us and hope to be of some good."

sometimes your only purpose is to serve as a warning to others...

--------------------
Set a man by a fire and you keep him warm for a day, but set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 108 | From: here and there | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Antiquity
Geek Larva
Member # 20684

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 12, 2008 14:45      Profile for Antiquity   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think that humans are ready for the news, and even some are not, they are gonna have to take it anyway. It is important to know about the universe and what is out there.

p.s. the newspaper that published this was the daiely mail lol

Posts: 27 | From: London | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture