homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » iTunes and one album at a time

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: iTunes and one album at a time
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 17, 2008 11:15      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I know this is probably a serious n00b question, but here goes: Is there an easy way in iTunes to just pick an album and have only that album play, or do I need to pick an album, select its tracks and create a playlist?

Some backstory (short) to give context: I've been using iTunes for many, many years, but only recently found myself with enough disk space to do some serious CD ripping. So, large music library, but want to use iTunes like my CD changer. Select album(s), play, stop when last album selected ends.

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 17, 2008 11:39      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tweety:
Okay, I know this is probably a serious n00b question, but here goes: Is there an easy way in iTunes to just pick an album and have only that album play, or do I need to pick an album, select its tracks and create a playlist?

I don't see the point of that. If you want to play only one album at at time, put the CD in the drive. Bonus, you don't have to use a computer for that, let alone one with iTunes: any contraption able to read CDs will do the trick! [crazy]

Ok, joking aside: To my knowlege, the only way to play only one album at a time is to create a separate playlist. After all, the idea of iTune is to be some kind of automated disk jockey that can play a set of tunes in a playlist in the given order (or not), or randomly choose from your library. But if you really want to listen to one album at a time, and don't want to create a playlist for each one, I'm pretty sure iTunes is scriptable, thus one could create a little script that will stop if the new song is from a different album than the one just played. Or a widget that will play the songs from a given album. With some luck, someone already made this and have it available to whomever may want it.

(Actually, I do know of one way to play one album: rip it. iTunes will start playback as the tunes are converted, and will stop at the last song. Well, as long as you didn't paused the playback, that is; if you pause then restart it, it will continue to the next song in the list.)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 17, 2008 11:43      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you use the browser to select the album, only that album's tracks are displayed in the library and it will play only those songs. The same thing can be achieved by using the search field to filter the list down until there's only that album's tracks showing.

The browser can be turned on in the View menu, but not when you're in Cover Flow View.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 17, 2008 12:40      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the replies.

Stereo – That is funny, considering that I prefer using my CD player in my main system. Unfortunately, the poor thing is getting on in years and the time is nigh for replacing. Well, actually, I'm totally lusting after a Macbook as well as an iMac, which would leave me with a mini with nothing to do. Ah ha! Says I, a music/media server! Now, that's the ticket.

So, I'm trying to figure out how to utilize iTunes in the same easy, no-brainer, ad hoc way I currently use my 5 CD disc changer. It seems that in the the desire to make software/tech easier to use, there's been some complications introduced to the system.

Maximile – thanks, I don't know why I didn't think of that previously. Looks like it will do the trick.

--------------------
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

David Rogers
Mini Geek
Member # 1373

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 18, 2008 07:58      Profile for David Rogers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
After all, the idea of iTune is to be some kind of automated disk jockey that can play a set of tunes in a playlist in the given order (or not), or randomly choose from your library.
That is a great feature and one that I love, but some albums were actually created with the intention of the whole thing being listened to in order so that it tells a story with the tracks played. Pink Floyd's The Wall comes to mind as a prime example of this.
Posts: 66 | From: Champaign IL USA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 18, 2008 10:43      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Preferences>Playback will let you set shuffle to songs or albums.
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 18, 2008 10:50      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doesn't the shuffle setting just set a parameter for how iTunes selects the next song for playback during shuffled playback? Or, does this somehow tip iTunes off to only play songs connected to a single album?

--------------------
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2008 01:19      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shuffle function always chooses within the selected subset. If you slide over to 'more likely' an artist will be chosen at random, then everything by that artist in the subset will be played at random, then another artist until the subset is exhausted. So choosing one album from each artist you can achieve shuffle within album until the album has been played, then another album...
Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2008 01:34      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you set shuffle to albums, itunes will play an album from start to finish, in the right order, then select another album at random, and play through all of its tracks in order. If you have shuffle set to songs, then you can select an album (either through the source browaser at the top (if not there, click in the eye in the bottom right)), or by a search, playlist etc. and songs from the selected album will be played in random order.
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2008 07:42      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, everyone, for clearing that up. This is what I get for not fully exploring iTunes and its abilities.

--------------------
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 19, 2008 08:16      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's some irony in the fact that the easiest way to play the songs on an album in order is by using the shuffle function...

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2008 09:19      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, here's where I admit to my stupidity. Maximile had mentioned the "Browser", which, for some reason I took to mean the listing of songs underneath one of the 3 ways to select albums/tracks. Now, this morning I'm thinking to myself, "What ever happened to that 3-pane navigation method iTunes used to have? The one where you go genre, artist, album?"

Then it hit me, "Oh, the 'Browser', the one Maximile was talking about! D'OH!"

Yeah, so, it turns out that's the method I prefer. Select artist and then an album. So, sorry Steen, there is actually another way to play one album at a time.

--------------------
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 19, 2008 11:41      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So much for humorous irony.

I don't use iTunes because too much of what I listen to comes with a cue sheet and iTunes does not have any way to support them, so I'm not that familiar with the interface (although I'm quite familiar with removing it from computers that it infects via the QuickTime installer).

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture