homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Network consternation!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Network consternation!
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 8 posted July 10, 2008 11:02      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everyone.

My previous home network was based around a Netgear wireless b/g router and I used a LaCie Ethernet Disk Mini for NAS. The LaCie was stashed away in the spare room and connected to the network using ethernet and dLan Homeplugs (the cheap, slow ones!).

This all worked fine but then I changed to a Time Capsule for routing duties and backups (I particularly wanted the n-speed Wi-Fi). Since then the LaCie doesn't work. I can see it listed as a shared drive in the Finder sidebar, but I can't access it.

After much head-scratching my current theory is that the LaCie won't work with the Time Capsule because the LaCie is 10/100 ethernet and the Time Capsule is Gigabit.

Could this be the problem? And if so, can it be cured by getting a basic 10/100/1000 ethernet switch and connecting that either between the Time Capsule and the local dLan Homeplug, or between the LaCie and the remote dLan Homeplug?

As always, any advice will be gratefully received. [Smile]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 10, 2008 12:13      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Grummy.

Got a couple of thoughts. Is the LaCie set up using DHCP or a static address? If you had it set static, then it may be "seen" by your Mac, just inaccessible.

Are you using IP or Apple's protocol to get to the LaCie?

Check for any inconsistencies. Also check for questionable or loose cables. Check the entire cable to see if that might be a problem.

If you plug the old router in, does the LaCie begin to work?

The gigbit thing should not be an issue. The time it might be is if the new router is unable to scale back to 100 mbit. But I doubt that would be the case.

Good luck.

edit: Nevermind. I just saw it was an Apple thing. So it may be something in the set up that is making the LaCie not work. Go into any set up dialogs you have for the Time capsule and make sure there isn't some kind of inconsistencies. Also see if the LaCie has a way to reset itself to default network settings.

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 10, 2008 14:10      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(disclaimer: I'm not a networking guru of any kind, even less so for Mac networking, and I know nothing about Time Capsule)

Here's a few things I'd try

Take the Lacie drive into the same room as the Mac, and connect it straight to your router, thus eliminating the dLan Homeplugs. See if that fixes the problem.

Try connecting to the Lacie admin web page, if you can get there, note down all the network settings for the Lacie (IP address, netmask, and which networking services are enabled) Compare that with the network settings on your Mac, and the Time Capsule. Is there a conflict there? Weird things happen when different parts of your network have different netmasks, or if 2 devices are set to the same IP address.

If you can't connect to the Lacie web page, turn off the Time Capsule (you'll have to connect the Lacie direct to your Mac) re-boot Mac and Lacie, and try again, does the Lacie magically re-appear?
If it does, the chances are it's a network settings clash with the Time Capsule.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
AntonTakk
Mini Geek
Member # 4686

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2008 15:00      Profile for AntonTakk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
something to be aware of, thou it is exceedingly rare - sometimes ethernet devices just can't properly auto negotiate with each other - but again, this is extremely rare, i'm still trying to mentally construct a diagram of your network, i may have to draw it when I get home thou

AT

--------------------
`My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look upon my works, ye mighty, and despair!' - Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posts: 83 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted July 11, 2008 15:56      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gentlemen - thank you for your suggestions, the LaCie Ethernet Disk Mini is back online.
[Big Grin]

Cables - I knew it couldn't be a physical cabling problem as I had tried all manner of different wires, the LaCie could always be seen by the iMac (Leopard) but not pinged.

Old router - I couldn't revert to the old router as we have given it away via Freecycle.

Eliminate the dLan Homeplugs - I took Mrs Grummash's MacBook into the spare room and connected it directly to the LaCie, both by ethernet and by USB (not at the same time!). No joy there.

Set-up software the set-up app is called IPConfigurator, and I downloaded the latest version from the LaCie website, but it wouldn't run under Leopard.

Login to the LaCie admin page - No matter what I tried, I couldn't seem to login to the admin page. I had considered your suggestions and thought that if the issue was not a conflict between Gigabit and 100BaseT, then the only other possibility would be a DHCP/ static IP thing.

This made me determined to get admin login to the LaCie. So I thought "what's the 'last known good' state for this set up?" I couldn't revert to the old router, but I could try to recreate the rest of the pre-Leopard set up.... so I connected the LaCie to the Clamshell iBook and re-installed the original version of IPConfigurator.

I ran the app and this sent amended settings to the LaCie. I could then log in as admin, change the fixed IP to obtain by DHCP, and BOOM! the clouds dispersed and LaCie is now back on the network. [Smile] [Smile]

Just one small snag - I no longer know how to log into the admin page to change any passwords, create new shares etc, but hey - I have my original NAS back in addition to the Time Capsule.

Thank you for renewing my determination to crack the problem, and for giving me possibilities on which to concentrate my efforts.

Hurrah! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture