homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Blahm battery:(

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Blahm battery:(
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 01, 2008 10:19      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My battery on my Mac has gone from giving me five hours to like 2 in the past few days. What is going on? Is it time for a new one? It's about three months old:( Any suggestions?

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 01, 2008 13:30      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The battery's only 3 months old? I'd expect that kind of degradation after about a year of solid use. Couple of questions for you:

1) In the first three months how often have you recharged the battery (once a day, twice, once every few days, etc.)?
2) Did you previously not have Bluetooth running and now have it on?
3) Are you running any thing different on the machine than when you first got it? CPU/GPU intensive software, additional hardware, etc.?

Other things to consider are that something's wrong with the battery, the power supply, or the power management system. It's really difficult to tell without looking at the machine, though, hence the questions. My best advice, especially if you're not doing anything different today than in the past, is to take it to either an Apple store or an Authorized Apple repair shop and have them test the battery and machine. It could very well be you just got a bum battery.

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 01, 2008 13:42      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey tweety,
Well, I used to just charge it at night when I sleep, but now I am having to charge it like twice a day. I have bluetooth off, and the only thing different I have done is run a software update the other day. Hmmm, seems weird, eh?

--------------------

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 01, 2008 17:49      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is weird. But, I did a quick search via our Saviour, Google, and come across the following items:

1) Macbook battery problems via Apple Support Pages www.apple.com/support/macbook_macbookpro/batteryupdate/

2) Some guy with Macbook Pro battery issues http://thisside.wordpress.com/2008/05/31/macbook-pro-battery-problem/

and

3) Some Japanese guy with the same issue, and he got a free replacement http://shashinki.com/blog/2008/06/10/macbook-battery-problem-free-exchanged/

Here's some of the highlights from the Apple KB article:

quote:
If, after you have installed the battery update, your battery has any of the symptoms listed below, please make a reservation to bring your computer with its battery to your local Apple Retail Store, or contact an Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP), or call your local Apple Support Contact Center. If Apple or an AASP determines that your battery is eligible for replacement, you will receive a new battery, free of charge, even if your MacBook or MacBook Pro is out of warranty.
Symptoms:
quote:
Identifying an affected battery

Affected batteries will have one or more of the following symptoms:

* Battery is not recognized causing an X to appear in the battery icon in the Finder menu bar.
* Battery will not charge when computer is plugged into AC power.
* Battery exhibits low charge capacity/runtime when using a fully charged battery with a battery cycle count (as shown in System Profiler) of less than 300.
* Battery pack is visibly deformed.

Note: If your MacBook or MacBook Pro battery does not have any of the symptoms noted above, your battery does not need to be replaced.

Looks like a call and/or trip to the Apple doctor is required.

* I apologize for the above bolded and italicized text. As explained to me that's equivalent to wearing suspenders and a belt. However, that is how Apple has it on its page, so I left it.

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 01, 2008 18:04      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks tweety! I guess I will schedule another appt with a genius. Which whenever I go there, I never get out of there for less than a couple hundred bucks [Eek!] Way too much temptation for me [Big Grin]

--------------------

Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 01, 2008 18:33      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If your battery is has less than 300 charge cycles and performs at less than 90% of original performance Apple will replace it or if it is under a year old and at less than 90% of original performance then Apple will replace it (unless determined that you have "thrashed the life out of it") - or that at least was how the Apple UK guy described it to me when my wife's MacBook battery was behaving like yours... Batteries are tricky things and to be honest it doesn't take much to get a dud... at least in my experience Apple are pretty good at replacing anything that has a genuine likelihood of being an "underperformer"

Just be glad that a MacBook will do 5ish hours on a good battery... my family have several Acer laptops rated at 2-3 hours tops when new and on "good" batteries - yes we know - buy cheap get what you paid for...

Get it looked at by Apple - they will almost certainly replace it as a faulty battery

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 02, 2008 01:16      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sounds like a DEFECTIVE battery and is covered under one year limited warranty. Batteries are considered consumabled and are only covered for 1 year, regardless of applecare. If you don't want to talk to a genius, you may want to look at Apples DIY service.... Batteries, Ram and in some cases hard drives can be ordered under the DIY. It takes longer but you know that you saved a trip to the Genius Bar.

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture