homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Linux, Wine, and Multipsk.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Linux, Wine, and Multipsk.
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2008 10:33      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____________________- Hi All, Well TheMoMan needs some guidance.

_____I am not good with CLI's. Heres the scoop I want to run Multipsk & MMSSTV on Ubuntu-V6.1. I do not seem to get a good copy of wine when I attempt to download same, and or I am doing some thing incorrectly, I also would like the argument needed to run those two programs when and if I get Wine to install and work.

____Ah yes the hardware IBM intellistation with a Xeon processor, and SCSI drives.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
AntonTakk
Mini Geek
Member # 4686

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 08, 2008 19:13      Profile for AntonTakk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i would assume you are using apt or the like to install? what errors do you get?

also, you may want to check the wine appdb - appdb.winehq.org before putting tons of effort in to this, some programs just don't work *cough*outlook*cough*

--------------------
`My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look upon my works, ye mighty, and despair!' - Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posts: 83 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 09, 2008 15:02      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
___________________ AntonTakk __ Well because the comp. is in the barn no internet out there. I downloaded the correct wine for Ubuntu 6.1

When I attempted to load same it gave a (some dependencies not met) Enter the stepson with a fresh burn of Ubuntu 8.1 so I download the latest Wine. take the CDs to the barn and 8.1 will not install in to the intellistation, so now it is not a wine or should that be whine problem but a 8.1 problem.

The absolute best program to run digital ham radio modes is Multi_PSK, that makes doing this so much easier.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/148040/when_networks_fail_hams_to_the_rescue.html

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
AntonTakk
Mini Geek
Member # 4686

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 09, 2008 17:36      Profile for AntonTakk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well, if the computer can't be brought to an internet connection, then you will need to download wine and all of it's deps, and all of it's deps's deps, and....you get the idea, this game gets messy real quick

as for ubuntu v 8.x not installing on the computer, that particularly would be an ubuntu problem, and you would probably still have to install wine afterwards anyway.

if your internet-connected computer runs ubuntu, you may be able to use it to help with resolving the deps

ubuntu may also have a tool for creating custom install media, if so, i'd recommend using that with the 6.1 repos since you know 6.1 will install

--------------------
`My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look upon my works, ye mighty, and despair!' - Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posts: 83 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 10, 2008 02:31      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_________________________ AntonTakk __ Many problems with the comp set up here. Internet is on dial-up. Phone is to a place deep in the boonies, the phone line could be beat for clarity by two tin cans and a kite string. The only plus is that we have clean power as far as wave form goes, also the power is green as we are very near the Low Head Hydro dams along the Au Sable river here in Mi. not too many sub-stations between us and the river.

____The only true OS agnostic ISP near here is way more expensive than satilite and they are Winblows something about the uplink requires their software to be on winblows. Well I can still use winblows but I don't want to.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture