homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » My buttons are cut off...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My buttons are cut off...
Moe Monkey
Geek
Member # 1900

Icon 1 posted June 17, 2008 14:05      Profile for Moe Monkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just upgraded to the new Firefox -- just because everyone else is [Smile] -- and was reminded of a UI glitch that I am experiencing with anything Java-related. All of my buttons look like this:

-

You can probably tell I'm on Mac OS X (10.4.11), running on a PowerBook G4 if that makes a difference.

Any ideas why my buttons are all cut off?

Moe

Posts: 145 | From: The couch in the living room | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted June 17, 2008 14:16      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm running on the same config (Mac OS X 10.4.11, PowerBook G4) and my buttons are not cut off...

-

on a side note, this Firefox 3.0 seems fast! [thumbsup]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Moe Monkey
Geek
Member # 1900

Icon 1 posted June 17, 2008 16:47      Profile for Moe Monkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is zippy... [Smile]

Okay, new info -- the square button problem is not manifesting itself on another account on the same machine, suggesting it's an account login item... I'll do the usual stuff and report back.

Where's Conflict Catcher X when you need it?!

Posts: 145 | From: The couch in the living room | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Moe Monkey
Geek
Member # 1900

Icon 1 posted June 18, 2008 05:39      Profile for Moe Monkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry for the ongoing conversation with myself -- feel free to jump in any time if you have insight to share!

It's not a login item issue, I did a safe boot and still had the issue. I also deleted a couple of likely-looking plist files (com.apple.java.util.prefs.plist and com.apple.plugin.settings.java.plist) from my preferences, no help there either. I also tried reinstalling Java, to no avail.

I guess the question for the geeks out there is, how do Java apps differ from regular apps in the way they load UI elements like buttons? This issue appears in every Java app I use, and none of the others.

Moe

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 18, 2008 10:56      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please explain the relevance of Java?

I don't believe the GC site uses Java at all...definitely Javascript (and the two are completely different). I could be wrong, but that does look like the GC poll...

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moe Monkey
Geek
Member # 1900

Icon 1 posted June 18, 2008 17:43      Profile for Moe Monkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Please explain the relevance of Java?

Sorry, I'm totally ignorant on the distinction between Java and JavaScript -- it might be the latter. I'm shooting in the dark here.

I'm trying to reproduce the problem with other apps/JS-based pages that I thought showed the same problem, but right now Firefox is the only app manifesting the problem, and only on this particular user account. It's only the Mac OS X-style buttons, I note the other buttons on the message edit page display fine...

-

[ohwell]

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 18, 2008 23:34      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Might you have any special Add-Ons (neé extensions) installed that are weirding out Firefox?

You could try running in Safe Mode to see whether any of them are affecting your browsing:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_Mode#Mac_OS_X

I've been using Fx3 for quite a long time now (since ~alpha2?), and never had these issues.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moe Monkey
Geek
Member # 1900

Icon 1 posted June 19, 2008 21:40      Profile for Moe Monkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dman , thanks for the help thus far.

I fixed the problem, but I am still in the dark a little as to what was causing it. I ended up pulling my Preferences folder out, and then replacing things, hoping to see what was the cause. I ended up putting everything back except for about 30 invisible files.

Six of them are from Freeverse, so I expect to be hit up for a serial number or two...

Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2008 03:27      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not really relevant to your problem, MM, but there is detailed list of FF 3 for Mac rendering/graphical niggles here.

The thing I find most irritating about FF 3 is that if you click on a tab accidentally using the centre of am Apple mouse, instead of selecting it, the tab is instantly deleted. I know I know, I am stupid for using an Apple mouse. It's a mystery to me why when their computers are so good, that Apple seems unable to make a comfortable mouse that works properly.

On the whole though I like Firefox a lot. It has become my default browser.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 21, 2008 06:16      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
The thing I find most irritating about FF 3 is that if you click on a tab accidentally using the centre of am Apple mouse, instead of selecting it, the tab is instantly deleted.

As far as I know, at least on Windows and Linux, Firefox has always closed tabs when you middle-click on them. For me, it's a feature: I set the UI to only have one close button on the side of the tab bar and close tabs with a middle-click.

If you find yourself closing tabs unintentionally, however, remember there's a Recently Closed Tabs item in your History menu which will allow you to re-open them.

I started running FF3 on Windows some time around RC1, and I'm really wanting Iceweasel 3 to show up in the Debian Testing repositories real soon because my Debian box is not exactly modern.

Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 21, 2008 06:26      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen, supa!

(Also, it's not quite as well documented, but Ctrl/Cmd-Shift-T is 'Undo Closed Tab.' It's basically the negation to Ctrl-T (new tab).)

--------------------

Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted June 21, 2008 08:03      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*twitch*
Must... resist... going offtopic... I've... already... have... an Opera... thread....
*twitch*

<shelter>
Just noticed how FF is to Opera as Vista is to OS X.
</shelter>

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted June 21, 2008 09:34      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice review of Firefox 3.0 by the Mighty Andy Ihnatko....

http://www.suntimes.com/technology/ihnatko/1013635,CST-FIN-andy19.article

One of the few complaints I have about Firefox 3 is the lack of text-sizing buttons on the navigation Toolbar. Seems like that would be a no-brainer. (yep, I know there's there's the zoom keyboard commands, but I find the Nav bar buttons, like Safari has, are more intuitive, especially for people like my mom.)

Oh, and the history window isn't as nice as Safari's either.. [Big Grin]

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 21, 2008 11:02      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snaggy: Up until today, I didn't even /know/ you could customize the Safari toolbar. Apparently, you have to right-click on an *icon,* not on the empty space. I've been looking for that for quite some time - but my instinct is to look for either: a menu item, or right-click on a blank spot.

Speaking of history - I really don't need it, given the existence of the AwesomeBar. :-) Just type whatever you're looking for into the address bar, and you're highly likely to find it.

--------------------

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted June 21, 2008 13:13      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dragon, clicking on the empty space works too, at least with mine (the empty space between the icons).

yeah awesomebar is very awesome :-)

iWanToUseaMac: sorry, I don't really like Opera. [ohwell]

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 21, 2008 15:07      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
dragon, clicking on the empty space works too, at least with mine (the empty space between the icons).

Ahh...well, the space I home in on is between the buttons and the address bar, which /doesn't/ work. That's where I usually click with Firefox, so I carried that practice to Safari and was disappointed. And oh...ffs...there's a View -> Customize Toolbar, isn't there?

I wonder if some of these things were added to Safari 3? I really don't remember seeing them before, but then again, I don't use Safari for anything serious -- just for printing some things, and playing Flash games to avoid a Firefox slowdown.

Opera isn't a terrible browser, but the UI doesn't really mesh with OS X, and at the end of the day, I really love Firefox's extensions. I do quite like Opera's per-site preferences...that's a very nice feature! (Firefox 3 added this for a very small number of prefs and just didn't implement it that well - you can change just about anything in Opera for individual domains.)

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture