homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » DSL through AT&T

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: DSL through AT&T
Ihatetimewarner
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 18678

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 14, 2008 05:51      Profile for Ihatetimewarner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am completely fed up with everything about Time Warner. The only thing that has worked well is Road Runner. I would like to switch to AT&T, but I don't know anthing about their DSL. Does anybody know of any problems (or lack there of) with DSL through AT&T? Specifically, can I get phone calls while on the internet? Will it kick me off the internet when people call? Is it as fast as Road Runner?
Posts: 3 | From: Canton, Ohio | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 14, 2008 10:02      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't use AT&T for DSL - Qwest got the concessions where I live. It works well most of the time. Sometimes, usually Sunday evenings, I have issues that involve multiple resets of the modem. DSL does not turn off when people call - it's not a standard modem, and the information is coming in over different frequencies than phone calls. You will need filters, actually, for any phones you don't plug into the DSL modem to cut the noise but your provider will provide those. The speed depends on a variety of things - ask AT&T what's available in your area.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
iNoles
Mini Geek
Member # 5685

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 14, 2008 10:05      Profile for iNoles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How far of that DSL central office to your house? A lot of phone has a special adapter when you uses DSL.
Posts: 57 | From: Melbourne, Florida | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 14, 2008 13:30      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought AT&T wasn't a local carrier?

Beyond that, DSL sucks in the US. I think it may be a bit better in other countries, but it's slow and expensive in the US.

I'm pretty sure you're better off sticking with RR, assuming your connection is good. Try and ditch everything else about them if you can.

Oh, and I'm thinking this may not be the most productive nick for general posting. But maybe that's just me, and I just walked around a video store for a a good few minutes wondering why there wasn't any coffee in it. (Answer: The sign /was/ right over the entrance way, but the real entrance was offset to the right by a few feet...and the sign for the video store was /huge/ and far above normal viewing range.)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 14, 2008 13:52      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really? I thought the answer would be "It's a video store." [Razz]

Unless you're in Seattle. Even bike shops have coffee stands in Seattle.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 14, 2008 16:35      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
Really? I thought the answer would be "It's a video store." [Razz]

Unless you're in Seattle. Even bike shops have coffee stands in Seattle.

Well...that's kind of what I thought. I figured it was quite strange...but there weren't any videos downstairs - just lots of candy. I figured that maybe it was a mixed 'store/coffee shop' and that the coffee would be upstairs with seating, but instead...there were videos...and a kiosk that I managed to haxx0r.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ihatetimewarner
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 18678

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted June 14, 2008 18:44      Profile for Ihatetimewarner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the advice. I might have to just suck it up and deal with terrible customer service until I can risk downgrading my internet reliability. In the mean time I need a good cup of coffee and a movie. Know any good places?
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2008 05:12      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ihatetimewarner:
In the mean time I need a good cup of coffee and a movie. Know any good places?

Sorry, can't help you here, but have you heard of Yappi? It's a forum geared toward high school sports in Ohio, but there's plenty of chatter about other things, including restaurants in this or that city. Register and ask your question. I promise you'll get answers.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2008 06:30      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
quote:
In the mean time I need a good cup of coffee and a movie. Know any good places?

Sorry, can't help you here, but have you heard of Yappi? It's a forum geared toward high school sports in Ohio, but there's plenty of chatter about other things, including restaurants in this or that city. Register and ask your question. I promise you'll get answers.
I'm pretty sure that was a rhetorical question - a shot at humor based on my post. [Wink]

--------------------

drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 16, 2008 07:17      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by iNoles:
How far of that DSL central office to your house? A lot of phone has a special adapter when you uses DSL.

Actual distance from the CO is mostly meaningless -- you'd be amazed at how weirdly phone wiring is run. You can be < 1km from the CO but still have > 6km of wire between you and them.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
brainisfried
Geek-in-Training
Member # 3067

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 18, 2008 06:19      Profile for brainisfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is AT&T U-verse available where you are yet? Internet through that isn't bad, 10M/1.5M for $55/month for the top tier. Their TV service only looks good if your cable company has a badly designed distribution system too but you can drop that.

U-verse is where they run fiber to a box within 3,000 feet of your home and use the existing copper from there. So you get state-of-the-art communications to somewhere down the block and your packets take a muddy dirt trail to your home. Sadly, for Internet this is usually superior to what the cable monopoly provides.

Ihatetimewarner
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 18678

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2008 19:46      Profile for Ihatetimewarner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We can't get their Elite DSL ($35). We can only get the Pro DSL ($30). They advertise that it is 50x faster than standard dial up, but I don't really know what that means.
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 21, 2008 20:00      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
We can't get their Elite DSL ($35). We can only get the Pro DSL ($30). They advertise that it is 50x faster than standard dial up, but I don't really know what that means.

Dial up is a strange thing. I remember the good old days where you pray that you get a connection as you hear the musical tones coming from your computer. Somedays you go to download a song and it takes 5 min. and the next day a song takes 3 hours as you are kicking your tower the whole time.

Thank someone for the invention of wireless high speed internet!

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture