homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Help me pick a graduation gift...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help me pick a graduation gift...
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 10, 2008 05:26      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hallo aus Berlin fellow GC-ers [Smile] I haven't posted much in aaaaages due to all kinds of exciting developments such as moving countries and getting a wicked job for in magazine publishing that keeps me incredibly busy. But I have been lurking and reading, and now I'm back (hopefully for more than one post!) to ask a question.

In July I'll be officially receiving my Masters degree in Classics (yay me) and my parents are asking me what I'd like as a gift. The thing is, I have no idea. I already have a laptop, a digital camera and an mp3 player, I have no need for a fancy phone. I just want something useful and cool for 200 pounds or less.

So, to inspire me, what would you ask for on such a budget? Or what would you suggest for me to ask for? I'm open to anything within and outside my interests - the only provision is that it needs to be travel-friendly, as I'm planning on moving around a lot.

Thankya kindly in advance for suggestions and/or vicarious wish-fulfilment [Big Grin]

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 10, 2008 05:49      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Travel-friendly?

How about a GPS unit?
(although some of my best travel experiences came from getting lost)

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 10, 2008 08:27      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Travel light, it's better. I'd ask them for a slap up meal in a good restaurant, but then I'm greedy!

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted June 10, 2008 11:23      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about some jewelry or a nice watch?

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: BogotŠ, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 10, 2008 11:57      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A good backpack? I like Mammut gear.

Gruss
Ash

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted June 10, 2008 12:17      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats on the Masters, skylar..... [Smile]

Now - cool, useful, under £200??? As it is to be a graduation gift I would suggest it should also be something well made, stylish, which you can still enjoy many years from now.

How about this?

No, seriously....you could still be using these when you are retired and you could look back fondly on your graduation ceremony each time you use them.

Well, I thought it was a good idea, anyway [ohwell]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 11, 2008 16:54      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:
Congrats on the Masters, skylar..... [Smile]

Now - cool, useful, under £200??? As it is to be a graduation gift I would suggest it should also be something well made, stylish, which you can still enjoy many years from now.

How about this?

No, seriously....you could still be using these when you are retired and you could look back fondly on your graduation ceremony each time you use them.

Well, I thought it was a good idea, anyway [ohwell]

Good notion Grummy, though of course you probably would not go travelling with them, and I'd throw in a butcher's steel to keep them sharp.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 11, 2008 17:59      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about A DVD of The 300? Hahahaha! [Big Grin] I didn't know Xerxes was eight feet tall and had numerous facial piercings. The things you learn from the movies. [Wink]

There's a DVD set about the Roman Empire that features Peter Weller as host that is pretty interesting.

If you don't feel like watching movies, how about a program that teaches German?

Or if you'll be travelling where the electrical outlets are different, one of those converter kits that have all the adapters for various outlets?

One of those reading lamps that you can clip onto a bedpost or something else, in case you find youself without enough light?

Or Lojack for Laptops, so if your laptop ever gets stolen again, it can be traced and the thief caught.

Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 11, 2008 19:14      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by iWanToUseaMac:

I second that motion, for my high school grad. my parents are getting me a nice watch.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 11, 2008 19:29      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by stevenback7:
quote:
Originally posted by iWanToUseaMac:

I second that motion, for my high school grad. my parents are getting me a nice watch.
Thirded. Last year, I got myself one of those new (good quality) light-powered watch, for about CDN$180 (a Citizen, if you want to know). I'll never need to change a battery again, plus it's more accurate than most watches I've had over time. Possibly the last watch I'll ever buy. Here's a pretty good example.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 12, 2008 02:05      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well if you are going to get a watch, get a swissw made watch. (not just swiss designed) My wife and I have matching Certina watches. They're nice.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 12, 2008 05:20      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you can't think of anything, feel free to just have 'em write me a cheque. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 12, 2008 10:02      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the suggestions one and all... where before I had no idea, now I have too many [crazy]

Alas, GPS is out of the picture, Druid, since I can't drive... and knives may not be the best idea, Grummash since I'm the clumsiest, most-prone-to-cut-herself-in-the-kitchen type person you could ever meet ... anything which requires a pre-existing skill is perhaps not for me [Wink]

Gmx, you've given me lots of cool little things to hit up the grandparents and aunties for
[evil]

... and I can't believe I never thought of a watch! This seems like a really good idea, guys, especially since I'm always wearing one, and have never been able to afford anything more than a low end Swatch.

Any thoughts on makes and models? The Citizens on that site look really nice, Stereo, but a couple of minutes perusing don't throw up any with a leather strap...

Vielen dank fur Ihre hilfe! (I bet that's incorrect)

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted June 12, 2008 11:25      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Swatch watches are pretty inexpensive and cool looking. Personally I like Skin line most.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: BogotŠ, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted June 12, 2008 12:08      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats skylar!

-Swiss army knife... they make nice white ones.. you'll use it forever.

-Propeller beanie (that's a given). [Big Grin]

-a really nice pair of binoculars?

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2008 00:43      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like Certina because of the leatehr strap. It closes with a clasp instead of the normal leather strap binding. It makes it quick and easy to take your watch off. ( I tried to find a pictutre but I couldn't)

Plus the watch face is saphire, so it won't get scratches on it.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture