homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » iTunes Drama!!! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: iTunes Drama!!!
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 29, 2008 04:25      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can anyone tell me why it is so freaking hard to transfer my iTunes library from my Dell to my Mac? I have spent countless hours yesterday trying to do so and now half my library is on the Mac and the other half is lost in space [Eek!] Any help would be greatly appreciated:)

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 29, 2008 06:30      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is the lost half the tunes you bought? If so, you need to authorize your Mac to use them too (and if you're not to use your Dell anymore, deauthorize it, just for tidiness - and to avoid further problems down the road). I can't remember where you do that (advanced menu? preferences?), but the help file should tell you quick enough.

I hope this is the problem, because I don't have any other idea.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 29, 2008 07:19      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geekygoddess:
Can anyone tell me why it is so freaking hard to transfer my iTunes library from my Dell to my Mac? I have spent countless hours yesterday trying to do so and now half my library is on the Mac and the other half is lost in space [Eek!] Any help would be greatly appreciated:)

This is why you shouldn't be buying music off of iTunes and their idiotic DRM scheme. You can buy DRM free music legally from all sorts of places now.
Posts: 4894 | From: Kitchener, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted May 29, 2008 07:28      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the EMI catalogue (Yay! Pre-1997 Duran Duran!) and some other labels (indie mainly) are DRM free, but still make sure the computer you're transferring bought, DRM-protected music is authorized to do that.

Some info from Apple.

Some info from about.com

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 29, 2008 08:31      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
This is why you shouldn't be buying music off of iTunes and their idiotic DRM scheme. You can buy DRM free music legally from all sorts of places now.

Agreed! Plus I noticed this on my girl's system when I moved some DRM free stuff over to her iTunes from my collection, that only part of it was even recognized.

There are some threads on other sites about this particular issue. But it is the music's fault of course. Because everything made by Apple, Just works. [Wink]

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2435 | From: Somewhere between the gutter... and probably another gutter | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 29, 2008 08:54      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Discussions of what a person should have done are utterly useless in actually solving a problem guys. Utterly useless. Destructively useless. Not only do you make the person asking for help feel stupid you make them feel like they have no hope either. And neither of these things are true in this case.

geekygoddess, follow these directions. It works. I promise. That's how I got all my music moved onto my new Mac. Also, if anything that's completely lost in the ether is already on your iPod, well, your iPod IS basically a hard drive in a fancy coat. You can recover stuff off of it if you change the settings, though, if everything on it is stuff you've bought on iTunes, that's even more trivial than if some of it was freebies or ripped CDs. You can do a direct transfer once you've authorized your Mac. Just follow the directions. They'll get the job done.

NB: you are going to need free hard drive space for the consolidate library step. About as much free space as your library is big. You've been forewarned.

ETA: if you don't have an iPod, those directions will still work if you have an external HD or suitably sized thumb drive.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 29, 2008 09:46      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
ETA: if you don't have an iPod, those directions will still work if you have an external HD or suitably sized thumb drive.

Just an addition to Xanthine's statement. Make sure the drive is formatted FAT-32, this way both your PC and Mac can read and write to it.

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1127 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 29, 2008 10:27      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys for all your help. I will follow those directions and see what happens:) Wish me luck [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 29, 2008 20:40      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, yay!!! I have my library back. Thanks again boys [Big Grin]

--------------------

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 29, 2008 21:18      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and what are Stereo and I? Chopped liver?

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

iNoles
Mini Geek
Member # 5685

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 29, 2008 21:43      Profile for iNoles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found a weird thing about that directions link that requires iPod to enabled the disk-mode that would leave iPod Touch or iPhones out?
Posts: 57 | From: Melbourne, Florida | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted May 29, 2008 22:18      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, unfortunately the iPhone and the iPod Touch are left out from this procedure because they can't use disk mode.

<misogynistic_troll>
@Xantine: Yes, you're. I posted the link first.
</misogynistic_troll>

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Contest. Group. Success.

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 29, 2008 22:27      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me feeds the troll to a billy goat

--------------------
- The Decemberists

geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2008 04:05      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To my dearest Stereo and Xanthine, A thousand times thank you!!! That was purely a typo:) Thanks to everyone who helped me with this, all genders included [Big Grin]

--------------------

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2008 08:18      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Discussions of what a person should have done are utterly useless in actually solving a problem guys. Utterly useless. Destructively useless. Not only do you make the person asking for help feel stupid you make them feel like they have no hope either. And neither of these things are true in this case.

Destructively useless? Hardly. Maybe she'll know better than to use that nonsense in the future or face wasting more time next time she needs to move her stuff around.

Or god forbid she exceeds the number of devices her music can be on and CANT move it anymore.

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 30, 2008 09:23      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DNM:
At least part of her collection has no DRM. What makes you so certain that the problem was the DRM protected music, which iTunes will import from an iPod with one click, and not the non-DRM protected music which takes extra steps to import?

I dislike DRM quite a lot, but in this particular case, the DRM infested music is actually easier to move.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted May 30, 2008 10:00      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In other iTunes drama news, I can't download the installer!

--------------------
Contest. Group. Success.

Tech Angel
Alpha Geek
Member # 908

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2008 21:40      Profile for Tech Angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Discussions of what a person should have done are utterly useless in actually solving a problem guys. Utterly useless. Destructively useless. Not only do you make the person asking for help feel stupid you make them feel like they have no hope either.

Hooray for common sense coupled with compassion! [Smile]

--------------------
We must be the change we want to see in the world. -Mahatma Ghandi

Posts: 328 | From: the Great State of Confusion | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2008 22:56      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Being both the teacher and the learner has been educational. [Razz]

DNM: That kind of treatment also makes people less inclined to ask for help when they need it. There's a reason I personally don't use the Ask A Geek forum. I can get face time with people who I know for a fact won't make me feel like a hopeless fool and so I go to them. I take enough crap without asking for it here.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

kadavy
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 30902

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2010 21:33      Profile for kadavy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's two main parts to every iTunes library: 1) the music, and 2) the data.

If you are having trouble getting the data - or the music files - to your new computer, you can use Home Sharing in iTunes 9 to copy your music.

Once you have the music on your new computer, if you want to also transfer your Playlists and Song Ratings you need to mess with your library.xml file a bit.

Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 11, 2010 07:57      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
Destructively useless? Hardly. Maybe she'll know better than to use that nonsense in the future or face wasting more time next time she needs to move her stuff around.

Or god forbid she exceeds the number of devices her music can be on and CANT move it anymore.

I realise it's nothing personal DNM, and you are just taking your own open source hobby horses out for a canter around the paddock, but there are also gender issues here.

As an illustration of this, my wife runs a small graphic design studio, and when anything technical goes wrong, say with our ISP's email servers, she asks me to 'phone the ISP, not because she is not perfectly capable of describing the problem or understanding their replies, but just because when I speak to them, I won't have to battle through the sexist attitude that all technical support people seem to have, that says if you are a woman, (even if you describe the problem in the nerdy language they understand) it must be your fault. I would add that it is particularly galling to be treated this dismissively, when describing problems with something that is of course the life blood of your business.

I would guess that most of us here would dislike being stereotyped as being e.g. socially inept with poor personal hygiene, and so we too should be careful how we respond to tech queries from women, because they have very good reason to be sensitive to patronising attitudes in this area. This is one instance where political correctness is also just common courtesy.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 11, 2010 12:40      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aside from arguing with a post I made nearly 2 years ago, you completely missed the point.
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 11, 2010 13:41      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As dead topics go, at least this one is somewhat relevant to bring up since geekygoddess' computer got stolen. She's going to have to import her iTunes library to yet another computer.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 11, 2010 17:12      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoops! Sorry about that, I am more out of touch than I imagined. But I don't think I missed the point.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 12, 2010 07:23      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You took a post I made that would have been the exact same had she been a he, and went on a tirade about patriarchy? Right. You totally got the point there.

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2014 Geek Culture® All Rights Reserved.