homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » excel nightmare

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: excel nightmare
Hentzer
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 18031

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted May 27, 2008 03:54      Profile for Hentzer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am setting up a spreadsheet for work and I am wondering if it is possible to put in a macro to jump to the 1st UNUSED line in say column C of worksheet 5 from the 1st worksheet?

Please help [Confused]

Posts: 1 | From: Aberdeen, Scotland | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 27, 2008 05:07      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI! We're not your own personal tech support line.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 27, 2008 06:16      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
________________________Hentzer Yup RTM.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 27, 2008 08:18      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
O I am sure there is, even if you have to write the macro yourself., Welcome (if you came for more than tech support)

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted May 27, 2008 09:54      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought the "Ask a Geek!" forum was about that...

Anyway, I know nothing about Excel Macros, so try Google.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 27, 2008 11:52      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I'm ashamed on our behalf! So what's the minimum "useful post" count before you can dare ask a question in the forum specifically identified as a place to ask for tech help?

Hentzer, I am not an Excel macro export, but I think worst case you can create a macro that loops through the rows in a given column of a given worksheet to find the first empty cell. It would look something like this, in high level terms:
code:
Dim theRow   As Long
Dim theSheet As Worksheet
Dim theRange As Range

Set theSheet = ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets(5)
theRow = 1
Do
Set theRange = theSheet.Range("C" & CStr(theRow))
If (oRange.Value = < empty cell value >) Then Exit Do
theRow = theRow + 1
Loop
theSheet.Activate
theRange.Activate
Set theRange = Nothing
Set TheSheet = Nothing

The above won't be a speed demon. I didn't even bother testing it, so it might not work exactly right. Or at all. Also, I don't know offhand how to test if a cell is empty. If you don't have any programming background you're probably in for a rough time.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1739 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 29, 2008 07:14      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ugh, MightyClub:
Well I'm ashamed on our behalf! So what's the minimum "useful post" count before you can dare ask a question in the forum specifically identified as a place to ask for tech help?

Probably at least an introduction and some indication of the intent to hang around before using a forum that is specifically identified as a place for communication and chatting and not getting help and leaving.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 29, 2008 07:24      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
Probably at least an introduction and some indication of the intent to hang around before using a forum that is specifically identified as a place for communication and chatting and not getting help and leaving.

Plus - and I don't want to seem like beating a dead horse - Hentzer would probably get much better answers if he asked his question (or searched for a solution) in a forum/site/discussion list specialized in Office technical help/tips/tricks/how-tos. Like MSDN's Office pages or this random forum.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 29, 2008 11:39      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
quote:

I'm not buying it. Where is that specifically identified? The description for this area is "Have a question that only a geek could answer? Or are you a knowledgeable geek willing to help poor lost geek-wanna-bes... this is the place!" You can do what you want, but I'm not going to hold in an answer just because it's a seagull question.

And Stereo, you're right, an Office forum would be more likely to have someone with an answer, but people in those places are downright rude! I mean, a lot of them won't even talk to you if you're not already an Office expert and member in good standing [Wink] [evil]

--------------------
Ugh!

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 29, 2008 12:09      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ugh, MightyClub wrote:
I don't know offhand how to test if a cell is empty. If you don't have any programming background you're probably in for a rough time.

I had a bored moment here at work and looked in the reference for VBA... it appears there's a command to jump to the last cell in a column that contains data:
Range("C1").End(xlDown).Select

I've never actually done anything with VBA, though, so I'm not certain that command does what I think it does.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 29, 2008 17:35      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the record:
1. I was somewhat bored, too.
2. I already happened to have a macro that spins through the cells in a column doing various stuff.

--------------------
Ugh!

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2008 03:51      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
________________________ Ugh, MightyClub ___ I have built spreadsheets in MS Multi-Plan, on a TI 99/4A, On Mac's, On Unix Boxes, In Evolution, on Linux, They all work similar. So if this person reads the manual s/he will find the answer. I have never used Excel but most spreadsheets work quite alike.

I think that the help pages and search on "find empty cells" might be a starting place.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2008 16:03      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First, I think Hentzer's problem is that they're using Excel. Well, they're using a spreadsheet. But, then again, I'm no spreadsheet demon, or expert, so take my comment as one of frustration when I do have to use a spreadsheet app once every year.

Second, I think it's really nice to be able to help someone out, regardless of whether or not they're a one hit wonder. Hey, maybe if we're nice, they'll stick around a while and hopefully add to the place. Maybe not. Frankly, if you want something in return for providing knowledge, no matter how ethereal or esoteric, I'm sure there are other forums/sites out there that provide the kind of compensation you're looking for. I joined up here because I thought, for the most part, the members where kind and willing to lend a hand, no matter the topic.

Maybe I was wrong. Kind of disturbing.

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted May 30, 2008 19:19      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Meh, people posting on this already, Hentzer hasn't even replied. Move on guys.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Moe Monkey
Geek
Member # 1900

Icon 2 posted May 31, 2008 15:13      Profile for Moe Monkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by iWanToUseaMac:
Meh, people posting on this already, Hentzer hasn't even replied. Move on guys.

Or, maybe he read the first two replies and decided to move on himself. Yay, geeks.
[Roll Eyes]

Posts: 145 | From: The couch in the living room | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 31, 2008 21:45      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How many of us have that "No, I will not fix your computer" shirt? [Smile]
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 01, 2008 05:05      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
________________________ Hi All ___ I know that SNAGGY desires that we not be rude to first post/question posters. In the hope that they will stay around and become regulars.

Do we have an Excel user in our midst or is this forum devoid of them?

Is there a way to make right our transgressions? I myself very seldom ask for help, call it up bringing or what ever.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted June 05, 2008 19:07      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Ugh, it's not post count that counts; to be worthy of such a request I think I have to have flamed the sucker at least six times.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture