homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Putting together a pismo

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Putting together a pismo
Dr Watson
Mini Geek
Member # 4307

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2008 17:34      Profile for Dr Watson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I picked up a dead pismo that included a new logic board... the seller said that's what needed to be replaced. Anyway, I go through the whole adventure of replacing this logic board and then I found myself to be at the moment of truth. Pressed the powerbutton... nothing!

So here's the thing, I'm wondering if the A/C- sound card is most likely what needs to be replaced. Do these fail fairly often? One thing worth noting is that as soon as i got this computer, I plugged it in and it actually turned on and looked for an OS (with it's old logic board) I turned it off to look for my Jaguar disc, found it, came back and couldn't get it to power on since.

Does anyone happen to have one of these ac boards lying around? : ) Thanks!

--------------------
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2008 18:24      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take a look at the DC in port. More specifically the 3 solderpads in the rear of it. Most of the time one or two of these joints are cracked. resolder them. Reset the PMU, this MUST be done when the logic board is replaced. make sure you also have a know good battery and backup/PRAM battery.

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dr Watson
Mini Geek
Member # 4307

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2008 20:43      Profile for Dr Watson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahh after looking at that card closely, I noticed that the connector that interfaces with the logic board was slightly damaged somehow. I ordered a new card and am hoping that solves this. Also starting to suspect my power adapter... for some reason, my Wallstreet won't turn on with it connected.

Thanks!

--------------------

Dr Watson
Mini Geek
Member # 4307

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 20, 2008 20:09      Profile for Dr Watson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey got it working : ) Needed to replace the AC board and cut out a frayed section of my power cord and splice the ends together (until I replace it)

I must say that these Pismos are incredibly pleasant to work on! They come apart and go back together without a snag and there aren't too many screws to keep track of. (I'm saying this after replacing the lcd inverter board in a TiBook hehe)

--------------------

macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 20, 2008 20:57      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it is called DC in / Sound card. and the power adapters either fray at the strain relief at the DC out tip strain relief or at the end of the roll. Also prone to develop frays was the fsking cheap ass power cord that plugs into the adapter. It was hard to find frays when they made it white. AC is the mains 110V from your wall socket. once it come through the adapter it is regulated 24VDC.

yes those machine were a dream to work on... just like the Power book 100 series, easy in and out, i miss those days. Todays Apple notebook servicing is more akin to working on a tank. 1000K screws... sadness.

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture