homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » I can has iPhone advice, plz?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I can has iPhone advice, plz?
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 5 posted May 15, 2008 12:04      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, I bought myself an iPhone - with its lame camera and lack of MMS and its grease-collecting touch-screen.....and it is BRILLIANT!

But - I had a bit of odd behaviour yesterday regarding outgoing email for my .mac account on my iMac. It was probably just a bit of server-side flakiness but I did delete and re-enter the outgoing mail server settings for that account in Mail. When it started working again the settings look the same as before it went wrong.

However, now when I sync my iPhone I get a message in iTunes saying
"iTunes could not sync mail accounts to the iPhone because an error occurred remapping record identifiers". If I deselect syncing of email accounts in iTunes the problem goes away of course, but this doesn't seem the best solution.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? And if so, can anyone suggest how to fix it?

And my last question - if I do just deselect syncing of email accounts in iTunes, is that going to cause problems in the future?

All advice will be gratefully received. [ohwell]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2008 12:34      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the iPhone club.

I've never had that problem. You can always restore the iPhone software through iTunes. It'll take a little while, but it'll probably solve any problem.

But before that sort of drastic action, this looks like it might help.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted May 15, 2008 13:17      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Max, problem sorted [Big Grin] [Applause]

I did the reset iSync history thing, and there were a few sync conflicts to tick off afterwards - but that was no big deal. I also got the problem whereby the list of mail accounts you want to sync disappears from the info window in iTunes, so I just dragged them over from the mailbox list in Mail and they appeared in iTunes! [Smile]

I spent a good hour or so last night trawling the Apple support boards but I failed to find the answer, so thanks again Max. [thumbsup]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 15, 2008 13:38      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because I know I'll get growled at by a cute Mac fan...

"But... it just WORKS!"

*snicker*

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2008 17:24      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, no, no, Steen. You misinterpret. As a happy Mac user I can honestly tell you that it just works ... when it wants to. Randomly. Sometimes on a schedule of every third Tuesday of every fourth month.

Which is totally unlike Windows, where it just never works. [evil]

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2008 21:37      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tweety:
No, no, no, Steen. You misinterpret. As a happy Mac user I can honestly tell you that it just works ... when it wants to. Randomly. Sometimes on a schedule of every third Tuesday of every fourth month.

Which is totally unlike Windows, where it just never works. [evil]

It's half-past midnight, otherwise I'd put on my professional hat, and give a piece of my mind about this.

/me nods and says "Uh huh...yeah...maybe..."

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
angryjungman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2008 05:11      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're using .Mac for email, then you shouldn't need to sync it with your iMac. .Mac uses IMAP, so if you just manually put the settings in on your iPhone (a pain, maybe, but you should only have to do it once), synchronisation shouldn't be an issue. I don't sync my Mac mail settings with my iPhone and everything works just fine.

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 16, 2008 08:09      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tweety wrote:
No, no, no, Steen. You misinterpret.

I think you misunderstand the point of my post. I -want- the cute geek to growl at me [Wink]

geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2008 13:46      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It will be working just fine when I pick up my brand new replacement one this weekend. Apple has manned up and decided to give me a pretty, shiny, new Macbook Pro. All is well in Macland again. [Big Grin]

Oh, and Steen...*growl* [Big Grin]

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 16, 2008 15:04      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*grin* [Big Grin]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture