homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » What to buy, what to buy...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What to buy, what to buy...
angryjungman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2008 17:26      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahoy fellow geeks. It's getting on time to refresh the hardware here at the angryjunghomestead and I can't decide what the hell to get. My current setup consists of a 15" MacBook Pro 2.16GHz Core Duo (not Core 2 Duo, mind you) with 2GB of RAM and a 1st gen Mac Mini 1.42GHz G4 with 512MB of RAM. The MBP is my primary machine and the Mini is hooked up to my 42" LCD TV and serves as a media/file server.

So I was all set to just upgrade the MBP to whatever starts shipping after WWDC. But then my Mini started getting flaky on me and I started thinking that it was probably time to replace that too. Unfortunately, I can't afford to buy both (those of you who know me know how much restraint that must be taking [Razz] ). So I've come up with three options, all costing around the same amount. The problem is, I can't decide which one to go with. So I figured I'd throw it out to the crowd. Here goes.

Option 1: $2607
15" MBP with whatever processor is in it come July/August plus an extra 2GB of RAM from a third party

Option 2: $2939
1.8 GHz MacBook Air
1.83 GHz Mac Mini, BTO with 2GB RAM (because I don't want to install it myself)

Option 3: $2419
2.4 GHz Black MacBook plus extra RAM from a third party
Same Mini setup from Option 2.

I don't really do any computationally heavy things, so fast processor speed, while nice, isn't really the ultimate decider. At most it would be Python and probably some Cocoa programming stuff.

So. Any thoughts? (and just to pre-empt: no Snaggy I won't buy the Air for you, a new Mini for me and keep my current MBP [Razz] )

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2008 18:00      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Option 3!

/me just learned tonight how clever the RAM/HD access is on this - I think I'm going to buy 4 GB for my MacBook...I had no idea I could get that for under $100!

I [hearts] my MacBook.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2008 19:12      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look into your heart. You will find that you have already decided on option two. [Wink]
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2008 19:52      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let me throw in some more advice just to confuse you. I, too, have a G4 Mac mini (1.42 GHz) and have been lusting (yes, lusting) after a MacBook Pro (I was leaning toward the 17") for quite some time.

Then ... then, my dear friends, Mrs. Tweety came up with a most brilliant solution (as she always does). Get a MacBook and an iMac, all for about the same price as a MacBook Pro. Wow, never thought of that one.

Can I get a Hallelujah?

So, here's the punchline: I say Option 3 (you'll more than likely appreciate the built-in drive of the MacBook.)

quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Option 3!

/me just learned tonight how clever the RAM/HD access is on this - I think I'm going to buy 4 GB for my MacBook...I had no idea I could get that for under $100!

What do you mean by "how clever the RAM/HD access in on this"? As I'm seriously looking at a MacBook I want to know that it's a good choice. Any advice as to how amazing it is and how it's nearly as good as a MBP for less money the more I will fall in love.

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2008 22:29      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since you asked...and I CBA to clean this up...this was my description in an IM conversation with a friend:
quote:

>yeah...turns out it's surprisingly easy to get to the RAM & HD
>i'd been told once that it's under the battery
>but i hadn't really noticed before
>so i put it into deep sleep (i.e. hibernate), and took the battery out
looked closer and saw some printed instructions
>take out 3 screws and you can remove a metal plate
and there are two levers to pop out the two dimms
>i kind of wondered why the plate was in an L shape...and just as i was putting it back in...noticed a plastic tab to the left
>thought 'hmmm...that's /interesting/
>looks like an HD!
so i thought "It can't be /that/ easy, can it?"
"There must be screws!"
>teased at the tab and it was in my grasp...gave a gentle tug...and there was the HD

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 03, 2008 00:16      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dude, get a Dell.
</troll>

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted May 03, 2008 03:25      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm voting for 3 because I think a black Mac would look cooler.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
angryjungman

Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 03, 2008 08:42      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the feedback so far guys. Here's where I'm at WRT MacBook Air vs. MacBook:

MB: faster processor, more RAM and HDD space (and easily upgradable), and yes, fs, black is hella cool looking.

MBA: thinner/lighter, has the nifty multitouch trackpad, and I have a general preference for aluminum cases over plastic ones.

Of course now that you guys have helped me rule out Option #1, I don't need to wait until after WWDC to order. [evil]

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted May 03, 2008 09:00      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(and just to pre-empt: no Snaggy I won't buy the Air for you, a new Mini for me and keep my current MBP )

First of all, you suk. [Razz]

Second of all, that MacBook Air you buy would be going to Nitrozac. [Big Grin]

In all seriousness, I am weighing a similar decision, as my beloved formerly-owned-by Woz 17" PowerBook is due to go to the Hall of Fame (in other words, I'll be selling it), but I'll be going for a MacBook Pro eventually, due to the horsepower.

If I were you, I'd go for 1, then pick up the Mac Nano Pro they introduce before Christmas. [Smile]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 03, 2008 09:17      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Option 3 it's just THAT simple.

I hate the MBA in three distinct categories.

Cat 1: SLOW disk access, non user replacable batt and no way to add RAM.

Cat 2. HAVE YOU TRIED TO SERVICE THIS. Bad keybord means COMPLETE disassembly an top case replacement. EVIL.

Cat 3. PRICE. Damn thing costs as much if not more than a Black, fully featured MacBook.

Although the MBA is sexy, but like it's analogous womanly counterpart, is lacking in key areas. Thus a bit of a turn off an more of a toy for the rich.

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 03, 2008 09:44      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go with option 3. You replace your mini and get a faster laptop with a larger screen. To be frank the MacBook Air is sexy but I think of it more as a secondary laptop for travel rather than a main use notebook.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 03, 2008 16:52      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My advice is just don't ever leave the house. That way you can get a desktop which gives you much better bang for your buck than a lappy a biiiiig screen! I am just hypnotised by my 24" iMac.. derderderder /twilight zone

Who needs all that outside stuff anyway? Real world phahh! [devil wand]

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture