homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » New MBP issues

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New MBP issues
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2008 18:14      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone here have the new Penryn MBP? I had a problem with the screen the other day, black lines all over it. Wondered if anyone with one has run into a problem like this. It seemed to have fixed itself, but wonder if it is a recurring problem. Any help would be great:) Thanks. [Eek!]  -

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2008 18:19      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure if it will return. Typically if I had a laptop do that, it meant that either the LCD or the video chip was on its way to the great beyond.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2008 18:25      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LED backlighting system. This is normal.

Second thought if you don't mena the columns of light across the bottom...

Might be a bad display cable or some sort of interference. If you bought at the Apple Store, have it exchanged, If from local dealer, have it repaired.

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2008 18:40      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It may be this issue? There has been a firmware update for MBPs since this story, I don't know if it has fixed it. Check out the discussion forums on Apple's web site for more info.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2008 18:45      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My concern is that now that the screen is back to normal, they won't help me. And I really do not want to be without my computer while it is getting fixed. Should I wait until it happens again? I have AppleCare.

--------------------

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 30, 2008 18:48      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seems like others are having the same issue:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1423301&tstart=0

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2008 00:10      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geekygoddess:
My concern is that now that the screen is back to normal, they won't help me. And I really do not want to be without my computer while it is getting fixed. Should I wait until it happens again? I have AppleCare.

Well if it is that issue I mentioned, it would appear that it is an intermittent problem that can be worked around by rebooting, until Apple issue a software fix. I can think of no reason to hand your MBP in.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted May 01, 2008 19:55      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
kinda off topic... how do you like the MBP? how do you find the LED screen when it's working?

(/me is jealous)

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2008 21:09      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I absolutely love it. I kinda wished I would have paid the extra money for the higher screen resolution, but it is still awesome. What can I say, it just works [Big Grin] Get one, you will not regret it [Big Grin]

--------------------

Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2008 10:08      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A second big thumbs up for the MBP from me. I won't go all fanboi here, but everyone in the MightyClub household loves our new lappy.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 06, 2008 17:52      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's talk about how I took it in today to the genius bar, and, long story short, they are replacing the hard drive and logic board. WTF??? It's an led screen issue.They ripped it from my dead lifeless fingers and it will not be back for 10-12 days:( 'Tis a very sad day. [Frown]

--------------------

Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted May 06, 2008 18:00      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/hug
Be strong, everything is gonna be okay [Smile]

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted May 06, 2008 23:24      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
originally posted by geekygoddess:
and it will not be back for 10-12 days:(

That's not good. Recently, the FW socket failed on Mrs Grummash's MacBook and it needed a new logicboard. I noticed the issue on a Sunday morning, booked a Genius bar appointment for 4:20 that afternoon and collected the repaired MacBook at lunchtime on the Tuesday. Less than 48 hours.

I hope that the Genius who took your MBP was simply using the customer service technique known as "underpromise, then overdeliver".

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 07, 2008 08:28      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geekygoddess:
Let's talk about how I took it in today to the genius bar, and, long story short, they are replacing the hard drive and logic board. WTF??? It's an led screen issue.They ripped it from my dead lifeless fingers and it will not be back for 10-12 days:( 'Tis a very sad day. [Frown]

OK, They had a board in stock, but not an LCD?

I think that it was mailed very far away with a "We have no fscking clue what's wrong. You figure it out."

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 07, 2008 09:01      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I should mention, that nearly all laptop repairs for apple in the US are handled at a central product repair center.

In Canada (also in Europe) I perform them in store. I have to order parts once the problem is diagnosed. Typically I quote 3-5 business days depending on part availability, provided i don't have a backlog. Apple doesn't make it cost effective for me to stock parts for repairs. I usually let the user keep the unit until i get parts once diagnosed.

At the moment I know of no Apple Service "emerging issues" flags concerning this issue, nor have I had any units in with this issue. Personally This issue is likely an LED driver board issue. This part is not sold individually, it is in the Display assembly which is sold as a whole unit. I do not think a main logic board or hard drive is going to solve this issue. Unless of course the Logic Board has issues at the driver cable interconnect.

I pray that your MacBook Pro comes home safe and sound and without issues.

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 07, 2008 11:38      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What GeekyGoddess didn't add, and which I think she deserves a good pat on the back (or other body part of choice... *ahem*) for, is that she backed up her data before taking the system in and handing it over.

Smart girl [Smile]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 07, 2008 15:05      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With a name like geekygoddess, I would assume so.

Otherwise we would have to strip her of that title and of course whip her with a wet noodle in public.

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted May 15, 2008 19:07      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Mac is coming home this weekend unfixed!!! They did not find a problem with it, so I get it back the same way it left. WTF? I showed them pix of it and everything. Everyone here knows how I feel about Apple (obsessed with them) but this is leaving a nasty taste in my mouth. All my friends are saying "I told ya so" [Mad]

--------------------

password
Geek
Member # 12442

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2008 20:19      Profile for password   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My advice? switch to Linux or a PC, macs are useless for everything except video editing and picture editing.

--------------------
no my password is not username

macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted May 15, 2008 23:35      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Methinks it's time to escalate the issue to Apple Customer Relations.... not Via the Apple Store, but Via the phone...

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted May 16, 2008 14:30      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Macmcseboy, I called customer relations, and it looks like I am getting a brand new machine. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted May 16, 2008 15:22      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
awesome!

I can has old one? [Big Grin]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2008 18:21      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I very happy for you geekygoddess! I hope that this experience has not tarnished your view too much. Enjoy the new machine when it come to you.

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 21, 2008 05:51      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everyone should know that I have my new replacement Macbook Pro, and it is FABULOUS!!!! I think this one is even better than the other, less backlight bleed. Apple has made it all better, and my feelings for the company are actually way better than before. The Apple Gods are smiling down on me:) Everyone should experience this pleasure:)

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture