homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Can anyone recommend speakers?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can anyone recommend speakers?
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2008 21:59      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can anyone give me advice on what kind of speakers to buy for my Macbook Pro? These are crap and are getting on my nerves. My friend who has the same exact computer, only bigger has excellant sound, what is up with that? Help!!! [Eek!]

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 26, 2008 03:18      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
___________________________ geekygoddess First off Computer sound is bad really bad, this is where analog still prevails. The sampling rate while converting from analog to digital is too slow, the digital signal is an average of the signal for some short time period, at some times music events are lost during the conversion.

Bus and what you are using the computer for at the time will effect sound quality, the bus and processors may be busy. In Ham radio we use some methods of sound card in to decode radio signals the best systems use a seperate sound card and processor to keep the signal off the bus only using the computer as a dumb terminal.

http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/

Go to a place that lets you try several speakers with your computer and with your music, remember that a Piano and Pipe Organ Duet will really tax your system if it can reproduce those sounds then every thing else is easy.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 26, 2008 06:54      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Harman Kardon soundsticks
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted April 26, 2008 09:02      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by littlefish:
Harman Kardon soundsticks

I'll second this suggestion. I had mine for about 4 years and they sounded awesome. Till the cats knocked them on the floor. I would say they are worth the money.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 26, 2008 13:17      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your help guys, sounds like I need to go with those. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted April 26, 2008 13:30      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Soundsticks, another insanely great design by Jonathan Ive.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture