homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Genitics Quesiton

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Genitics Quesiton
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted April 05, 2008 16:03      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any geek out there savvy enough to shed some light on my beard color...

It's in all the males in my dads side of the family. We all have black hair everywhere except for some blood red hair that grows down from our chins.

It looks crazy awesome in a full beard but nobody seems to know why or where it comes from.

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2008 16:34      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My brother has the same thing going, dark hair, red beard.

Dunno about the genetics, but my theory is you're trying to be a real redhead, and didn't quite make the grade. [Wink]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2008 17:41      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure what the deal is, to be honest, but I know a lot of guys whose beards have a red tint. I really don't get it.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2008 23:35      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you sure it is not a problem of not washing the beard out after eating ketchupy french fries?

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2008 10:42      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
Are you sure it is not a problem of not washing the bead out after eating ketchupy french fries?

That would be the tame version, referring to my own traces of red. I'm generally carrying around snacks and left-overs of one sort or another in the ol' hairs of my chinny-chin-chin.

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2008 16:46      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
joking aside beard hair is very often not the same colour as the rest of the body hair... I am not a geneticist so I have no idea why this may be...

or maybe it just something to do with vitamins or the speed of growth or anything... I don't know... but it is sure WEIRD

[Razz]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 10, 2008 17:08      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
________________________ Jace Raven Beard hair is weird, as a tyke I was a towhead, then by high school sandy brown. After spending time rescuing pilots my hair had progressed to just plain brown, however my beard had turned red all the same shade. Then as gray took over it lost the red. Now that my beard is fully gray it looks white however when I trim the thing, the clippings look red on a white back ground.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 11, 2008 10:03      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps it is a mystery?

I know that even though I have nice black hair on the top of my head (with those pesky gray ones sneaking in around my temples). I have a beard that has snippets of black, brown, blonde, red, and well gray of course.

Always has been like that, though it has become more pronounced over the years.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture