homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Can anyone recommend a screen calibration????

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can anyone recommend a screen calibration????
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted March 29, 2008 18:32      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all,
Can anyone recommend a good screen calibration? I have a Macbook Pro, not sure if that matters or not, but I have heard that the screen needs to be calibrated, not sure why, I feel it looks fine. If anyone can help I would be eternally greatfull. Thanks in advance!!!

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2008 19:04      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unless you're producing graphics meant to be viewed by others or printed out, you probably don't need to calibrate your monitor as long as the colors look okay to you.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 29, 2008 19:45      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't produce graphics, just do ALOT of photo editing. Would that make a difference? Thanks for your quick reply:)

--------------------

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2008 21:07      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the photo editing is strictly for your own use, it won't maky any difference. If you're doing it for others, it might. Calibrating your monitor assures you that what you see on your screen is what someone else with a properly calibrated monitor will see.

As a hypothetical example, if your monitor was badly calibrated and you altered the color balance of someone's face in a photo, what looked like a light tan to you might look somewhat orange and fake on a printout or on another person's monitor.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 30, 2008 02:23      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
______________________ geekygoddess Well Lass if you search around in your control panels you might find some monitor settings. Find the one for colors create a default one and then play some, but be sure that you save the default one. Also if memory still serves me there is a contrast and brightness calibration routine built into the OS, that always worked fine for me.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 30, 2008 06:19      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
System Preferences>Displays>Color>Calibrate...

This will the let you set your display up.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 30, 2008 15:24      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone told me to download something from the net, I wanna say it was Supercal??? So, is that not necessary???

--------------------

littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 30, 2008 22:56      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PCs suck at colour management. Macs do not. If you use the built-in wizard in system preferences, it should be fine for everything other than professional print work.

//expects flames

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 31, 2008 01:38      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
__________________________ geekygoddess Please believe littlefish on this, I don't have any working new Macs. I used to do color management on one of the early Imac's You could correct for color shift and all sorts of problems, just use the built in color controls and settings. When you bought a Mac you paid for color sync it is built in, use it.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 31, 2008 03:57      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You guys are right!!! I am fine with the color of the screen, I just keep hearing I need to calibrate it. I tend to be a little gullable at times and just didn't know. Thanks for all the help:)

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 31, 2008 05:09      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
__________________________ geekygoddess I did find the software you mentioned, with it being shareware, I do not know about its quality or if you should down load it to try. I have had good and bad luck with shareware. If you are happy with the print quality of your machine and the colors match correctly, don't fix what ain't broke.

http://www.bergdesign.com/supercal/

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 31, 2008 17:30      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go with what they all say...

I am a professional pre-press geezer and I have never had to use anything but the Mac's built in calibration to get excellent screen to output consistency

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture