homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Perian

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Perian
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted March 27, 2008 16:09      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anybody use Perian as a plug in for Quicktime? Do you find it's stable? Does it also make Front Row recognize avi's or does Front Row use something besides Quicktime playback movies?

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 28, 2008 06:37      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would almost certainly help Front Row with AVIs. I used to have it installed, but it kept inserting a single green frame at the start of MPEG 4s I exported. Seeing as I do that a lot, it had to go, but they've probably fixed that by now.
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 28, 2008 10:08      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks you. I guess being new to the Mac I am being cautious about what I install on my machine. I don't want to break anything. I'm sure I will have more questions as I go.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
CoffeeSmack
Mini Geek
Member # 3937

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 29, 2008 17:12      Profile for CoffeeSmack         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the longest time I've used VLC to play most video media, mostly because I was unaware of Perian as a solution as a Quicktime plug-in for all those wacky codecs out there. VLC seemed complete enough and has capable subtitle options. (I've found quite a few instances where English subtitles are buried third or fourth in a list of streams.)

Once I installed Perian however, I've started using Quicktime more frequently. In most cases the image quality seems much smoother. I'm not sure if this is a function of some kind of post-processing under the hood or simply a better decoding of the various codecs. VLC has post-processing options, though they are set manually. Also, in some cases I've had to manually change the decoding options in VLC from the so-called "default" decoder. This was usually with Matroska (MKV) files and some AVIs, although not in every instance.

Truth be told, I haven't bothered to see if the Perian/Quicktime combination works with every kind of file out there, but I've been very happy with it. And, it's never complained or crashed once since I've started using it. I can't testify to it's performance when it comes to encoding, so your mileage may vary. I would encourage you to use it, but keep VLC tucked away on your machine in the event you find something not playing in Quicktime.

Posts: 62 | From: Mount Joy, PA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture