homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » TIbook compatibility

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: TIbook compatibility
Dr Watson
Mini Geek
Member # 4307

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2008 10:35      Profile for Dr Watson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I received a very sad, but fixable I think, Powerbook G4. It's a VGA 667mhz Titanium. The problem is that it has both hinges broken and the device the powers the lcd is ruined. (That's only what I've been told by the previous owner who replaced a torn cable but said that that lcd thing is dead as a result of a short circuit.)

However, this machine boots up to OS X 10.3 and works via a monitor, so it seems like I have a handful of working parts here. SO I'm thinking I need to source a similar powerbook on ebay, perhaps with a dead logic board, or other problems, so I could piece together this thing. I can see that there are a few generations of Powerbook G4's... does anyone know what case + logic board combinations are possible? I'm assuming I'm stuck with the second generation (550mhz-667mhz) but if I can use parts from others, it would expand my chances of finding what I need. Thanks : )

-Ian

--------------------
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Mr. Dave
Geek
Member # 1977

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2008 17:56      Profile for Mr. Dave     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try iFixit.com. I just checked and they have new replacement hinges as well as assorted display components. (The one you have is known as "Onyx".)

--------------------
I'm not normally like this, but then I'm not normally normal.

Posts: 193 | From: Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted March 16, 2008 21:08      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As an Apple Certified Portable/Desktop Technician, I really hate to break it to you... The entire LCD clamshell assembly needs to be replaced. the assembly is not only screwed togeter but epoxied as well. Apple Service never sold the LCD panel alone... it will take a small miracle to successfully dismantle without breaking everything else.

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dr Watson
Mini Geek
Member # 4307

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 17, 2008 19:50      Profile for Dr Watson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could take a stab at getting it apart. If I can't, it seems I could part the machine out and get a few bucks out of it. Thanks for the pointers!
Dr Watson
Mini Geek
Member # 4307

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 18, 2008 04:22      Profile for Dr Watson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That explains why broken ones, that happen to have good screens and hinges, are actually rather expensive. I'm hoping that since the ribbon cable has been replaced that maybe this screen has been apart before. I'm actually receiving this unit on Thursday, will have to see how that goes.

I used to have a 1ghz iBook but sold it in favor of a Thinkpad T43. Not regretting it, but it would be cool to have a Mac again [Smile]

--------------------

TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 18, 2008 04:35      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
________________________ Well Dr Watson you have a think pad, turn this thing into a FRANKINMAC. Hook up a keyboard, monitor, and bigger drives, seeing that apple uses the ATA standard. You may have to get an old power supply to run all the drives but that should not be a problem.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dr Watson
Mini Geek
Member # 4307

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 18, 2008 09:29      Profile for Dr Watson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
haha that's a pretty good idea actually [Big Grin]

--------------------

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 18, 2008 09:45      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're going to make a frankensystem out of it, you might as well let your imagination run wild. The innards of a laptop can be stuffed into a pretty wide variety of objects (the compubeaver comes to mind) as long as you pay a modicum of attention to ventilation.

Do something interesting with it [Smile]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Dr Watson
Mini Geek
Member # 4307

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 18, 2008 14:38      Profile for Dr Watson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HAHAHA! That's incredible. I like the idea of a picture frame if I can get the lcd to work again

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 18, 2008 17:20      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Buy an old windoze laptop on eBay, rip the guts out of it, and stuff them into the TiBook case.

Enjoy the looks of horror as mac-geeks see you boot Windows 3.1 on a TiBook.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dr Watson
Mini Geek
Member # 4307

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 18, 2008 20:27      Profile for Dr Watson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could literally make a notebook- fill it with paper

--------------------

TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 19, 2008 04:36      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____________________________ Dr Watson You will need a ATAPI to ATA adaptor to hook up the drives, also you will have PCIMCA slot plus. Wish I was getting such a gift there is fun ahead. Please post what you do with that thing.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dr Watson
Mini Geek
Member # 4307

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 19, 2008 11:10      Profile for Dr Watson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Will do! [thumbsup]

--------------------

Dr Watson
Mini Geek
Member # 4307

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 26, 2008 12:36      Profile for Dr Watson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fixed it with a $15 inverter- previous owner, I've come to find, re-attached the hinge with JB Weld; sealing the front bezel to the back. :/

I'm using it now, but have been realizing that this isn't the machine for me. It seems to run warmer than the 1ghz ibook I had.

I'd really like to raise money to piece together a Thinkpad t40 series for my lady, what do you guys think is reasonable to ask? That's for a middle-of-the-road Tibook in functional (aside from optical drive) yet somewhat poor cosmetic condition?

[Smile]

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2008 15:30      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr Watson wrote:
I'd really like to raise money to piece together a Thinkpad t40 series for my lady, what do you guys think is reasonable to ask? That's for a middle-of-the-road Tibook in functional (aside from optical drive) yet somewhat poor cosmetic condition?

For a laptop in that condition, she should at least cook you dinner and give you a blowj...

oh, wait, you mean what's reasonable to ask -other- buyers. No clue. Sorry [Smile]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture