homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Ip changer?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ip changer?
snupy
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2008 10:46      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, everyone!

I need a program so I can visit(and download from) the American sites that currently don't allow me to visit due to my IP being in England now. I've heard there are programs I can download to change my IP. Are they safe? relatively easy?

Thanks!

vicki

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Dave
Geek
Member # 1977

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2008 15:43      Profile for Mr. Dave     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can't really change your IP address or the data (web page, download, whatever) you've requested would never find you. However, for what you want, this might help. Or it might not.

--------------------
I'm not normally like this, but then I'm not normally normal.

Posts: 193 | From: Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 11, 2008 00:39      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You need to find a proxy server in the US (or wherever you want to download stuff from). This is a computer which gets the content for you, then sends it to you.

I've no idea where to find one though. Google proxy server or web cache and see what comes up.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
sosumi
Uber Geek
Member # 1106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 11, 2008 11:26      Profile for sosumi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Dave:
You can't really change your IP address or the data (web page, download, whatever) you've requested would never find you. However, for what you want, this might help. Or it might not.

Hi snups!

There's also
hotspot-shield,which is something similar to what Mr. Dave posted, but you don't have to change any network settings. Downside is it tries to show you ads, which you can ignore. If you just want to use watch some US only streamed video, turn it on only when you need it. I know it works for some Canadian and UK friends.

Posts: 845 | From: Boston | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 11, 2008 15:41      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooh-thanks, sosumi! That looks good. Is that only for laptops and wireless connections,though, or does it matter?

vicki

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Dave
Geek
Member # 1977

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 11, 2008 16:01      Profile for Mr. Dave     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From looking at the HotspotShield FAQ I think it's just tunnelling an encrypted connection from your computer to a proxy server at AnchorFree. That should work just as well from a desktop over DSL, or even over dialup (if you have the patience for dialup [Razz] ).
Posts: 193 | From: Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
password
Geek
Member # 12442

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 12, 2008 17:19      Profile for password   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have a much simpler answer

firefox

get it and then go into toos > options > advanced > networking > settings

put in a codeen address from this site www.nntime.com or try using the coral network by adding nyud.net to the end of the address (EX: www.google.com.nyud.net)

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 12, 2008 23:58      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by password:
or try using the coral network by adding nyud.net to the end of the address (EX: www.google.com.nyud.net)

I tried geobytes ip locator with that, and it thinks it's in Japan.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
password
Geek
Member # 12442

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 13, 2008 04:07      Profile for password   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
im just passing on what works for me

--------------------
no my password is not username

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 13, 2008 05:19      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can I trade you? ;P

/me wants to watch English TV and is thwarted by annoying IP blocks. [Wink]

Fortunately for me, I have an awesome friend who helps keep my withdrawal symptoms at bay for a certain series set this century, when "you've got to be ready."

Meanwhile, another friend of mine reminded me about the second series of the IT Crowd...and I kind of miss that as well, as I only caught the first few episodes ('twas too much of a nuisance, and the first series was geekier).

*sigh*

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 13, 2008 07:04      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Meanwhile, another friend of mine reminded me about the second series of the IT Crowd...and I kind of miss that as well, as I only caught the first few episodes ('twas too much of a nuisance, and the first series was geekier).

Yeah, and they shouldn't have let the boss character go. I miss Chris Morris. (Isn't it about time he did something new?)
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 14, 2008 09:47      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
along these lines, has enyone ever got the messeage on YOUtube "sorry this video is not available in your country"? I understand why NBC and them only let americans watch but what is the point of IP blocking on Youtube. The more views the more ads?clicks and revenue. The filtered vid was a AMV of greendays good riddance.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture