homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Leopard Prohibiting Data Copying From DVD

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Leopard Prohibiting Data Copying From DVD
CoffeeSmack
Mini Geek
Member # 3937

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 03, 2008 20:28      Profile for CoffeeSmack         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like this post to be about how happy I am, how my Mac Pro arrived, that it's a speedy behemoth that laughs in the face of every task I give it...

Except it doesn't seem to want to copy data from previously burned DVDs!

I've had the Pro now for about three weeks and it's completely up-to-date with Leopard 10.5.2. Other than the usual blips one encounters when getting used to a new operating system it has worked splendidly. But now I've dug out some data DVDs that had some backed-up information and Leopard will not let me copy files from the discs.

I've tried the same discs in two different drives, both the internal and an external Lacie burner. When I click on a file and try to drag it to my desktop I get the "Prohibited" symbol (white circle with a line through it) and the file snaps back from whence it came.

Now I've looked this up on other forums, and a few Terminal-savvy individuals came up with solutions that can be typed out, but none have offered an explanation as to why this can't be done with the GUI.

Also, I should mention that simply reading the data from the disc in an application (like playing a movie file in Quicktime or VLC) works just fine. Also, if I select all the items on the DVD and right-right click on them and select "Compress (# of) Items) the Mac makes a nice tidy archive of the files on my desktop. I can then de-compress the archive and access the files... But this is awfully time consuming. Plus, this just shouldn't be standard operating procedure.

One guy in another forum talked to some Mac Geniuses and after a lot of discussion they settled on bad media as an explanation, but this I refuse to accept. These same discs read and copied just fine a month ago in the same external drive on my old G4.

Again, I'm completely updated as far as the OS goes, and I've done all I can do as far as Permission repairs, maintenance procedures, etc., so now I'm at the end of my rope.

Ideas anyone? Anyone at all?

Posts: 62 | From: Mount Joy, PA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
CoffeeSmack
Mini Geek
Member # 3937

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 03, 2008 21:13      Profile for CoffeeSmack         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By the way, in case this is any clue, when trying to eject the DVD by dragging it to where the trashcan would be in the dock (replaced by the eject icon) the Finder wants me to enter my Admin password. After entered the password I get a -43 error stating that the operation failed because the items could not be found. I didn't see this before because I had been using the eject features in the Finder's sidebars in various windows or I used the eject function for each drive in Toast 8.

I just got done checking a slew of other DVDs and it seems that maybe only one or two other discs give me this "Prohibited" symbol when attempting to copy items. Although this would indicate bad media I still don't seriously consider this as an explanation because the Finder never even attempts to the copy the data. It simply dis-allows me from doing so.

What's even more weird is that the items I have successfully copied using the technique from my first post (archiving the items from the disc, then de-compressing them on my desktop) can be burned onto a new DVD... which then refuses to give up the very same files when I try to copy them back onto my desktop! This would suggest that the problem is related to the files themselves, but I can't see how that would render an entire disc unaccessible.

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 03, 2008 23:00      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Following a little bit of fun today with my USB key...try relaunching Finder before ejecting. That solved my problem. (I *didn't* have any files open, thank you very much!)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
CoffeeSmack
Mini Geek
Member # 3937

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 04, 2008 00:12      Profile for CoffeeSmack         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er, well yes, that does allow me to eject the DVDs... Although I had several ways of doing that besides relying on restarting the finder.

But I still can't copy files from the discs! I still get the No-Smoking sign!

TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 04, 2008 04:59      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
__________________________ Me thinks that Apple wrote the OS to make sure that they would not be caught up in the copyrights melee. There is probably a work around it may take some net surfing to find.

________________________ Hi All Drives and back ups and secure data. Well I had been planning on up dating my Computer boxes around here for some time. So Sunday was the big day. Well I bring in the new box and swap in the the drives I had been using. Three HD's three different OS's Hit the power button, the Bios screen comes up and then the fun begins, it cannot find the boot sector on HDA1. I then put in UBCD 3.3 and attempt to boot, no problem all the drives show and check good. Put in a Knoppix CD, boot from that take a peek in each drive. No broken Icons all the files look like they are where they are supposed to be. Take out the Knoppix CD and attempt to boot again, Strange noises, lots of strange noises.

Well it turned out that I ended up reinstalling the OS and then copying all my junk from the back up external drive, so I lost all of the cookies and other BS that lets some one come back to a site and resume. When I finally got done I had two drives in the trash can. The two boxes are working as planed just not with all of the elegance I used to have.

Now I plan on burning all of the grand kids photo's to CDs and hope nothing drastic goes wrong with that operation, remember the mantra backup, backup in two places, on separate drives, or media.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
CoffeeSmack
Mini Geek
Member # 3937

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 04, 2008 05:43      Profile for CoffeeSmack         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting. Although this is such a simple task. It's click-and-drag. I mean, that's what the whole point of GUI was, right? I'm only working on a few hours sleep here, so this may seem harsh, but how idiotic is it that I can so much as copy something from one place to another. Data, by the way, which I created. We're talking about Photoshop documents and Quark files. Nothing anybody needs to get in a tizzy about copyright wise. I just want to frikkin' copy something off a disc!
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 04, 2008 06:53      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_______________________ CoffeeSmack You have been around these boards long enough to know about region codes on DVDs Copy protection on Sony Music CDs so my thoughts are that the new machine is not seeing something that it wants to see. Is it possible to put some version of Linux on an old machine and recopy the CDs and see if the New Mac will read that CD. I think that there is some DRM issues going on, or a flaw in the OS like that ever happens. Have you checked the Apple website for updates?

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 04, 2008 11:51      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you tried copying anything else from CD, memory stick, other drives etc. to where you were trying to copy the data from the DVD. Maybe it's not the reading of the DVDs that's the issue but the destination folder that's set to read only for your login (which you can check by getting info on it).

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
CoffeeSmack
Mini Geek
Member # 3937

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 04, 2008 21:29      Profile for CoffeeSmack         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well people, I seem to have stumbled on the solution, although exactly what the issue is/was is unclear to me.

As I said in my first post, I was able to get data off the discs by using the Finder's built-in compression option by right-clicking on the files I wanted. Once these rather hefty files were saved I could de-compress them and use them normally on the desktop. After looking at the various files I noticed some of them had excessive usage of periods in the file names (i.e. version schemes like "Revision 5.2.1.ext") as well as using brackets (i.e. "Revision [5.2.1].ext")

I decided to replace the brackets with dashes and completely removed the version numbering since every successive file had the same version, just different prefixes.

I then re-burned these files onto a typical Mac/PC format data DVD. Mounting the volume gave me exactly what I wanted, a disc from which I could copy files at my discretion.

One other oddity that I should mention is that, when I first started looking at the contents of the problematic DVDs there were some discrepancies in the file modification dates. For instance, eleven files out of a a dozen all had January 15, 2007 as their last modification date. The twelfth file, however, was listed as January 16, 2007. This was not correct, as all of those files were last processed within minutes of each other. When I burned my newest DVD that turned out to work perfectly, the modification dates were all back to what they should have been. That is, all last modified on the same day.

Now, I just tested another disc which has not brackets to speak of and it is giving me trouble. I'll have to try my earlier procedure and see what I come up with. The whole thing has me very perplexed.

CoffeeSmack
Mini Geek
Member # 3937

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 04, 2008 21:37      Profile for CoffeeSmack         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know what, I jumped the gun. I checked two more discs. One had brackets used all over creation and the files would copy normally, whereas the next DVD had all regular alpha-numeric file names and it refused to copy.

I'm completely stumped now.

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 05, 2008 02:46      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
__________________________ Don't Cha just love computers?

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Tyr
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 15328

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2008 15:48      Profile for Tyr   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This sounds a lot like permission problems on the files on the DVD. Did you use the migration-assistant to migrate users or did you recreate them ? In the last case the user on the DVD might have had the same name but a different uid (user id number). Alternatively the files might have been created by another user that you didn't migrate.

I'm not sure but the Finder might default to "duplicating" a file (recreating with all attributes as before) instead of "copying". At least that would explain your difficulty.

Check in a terminal window if when you do a "ls -l" (long list) the files have a user-name/group-name attached to them or just show a uid, that would mean the user is unknown on the local machine.

Posts: 1 | From: Antwerp | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
CoffeeSmack
Mini Geek
Member # 3937

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2008 22:13      Profile for CoffeeSmack         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have not yet tried analyzing the files in a terminal, although I should mention that some individuals in other forums reported success manually copying files in similar situations using the terminal.

Most of my frustration, however, stems from the fact that I never know which disc is going to be problematic and more importantly, how I can avoid the problem in the future.

The question of user permissions is interesting, especially since you guessed correctly, I did use the migration assistant for files from my old computer, but not for users. The current and old computers have the same user, although the new one was re-created, not transferred.

Having said that, I am skeptical of a permission issue since I am only person who burned these files onto DVDs on the same computer, using the same software and under the same user account. Meanwhile, out of maybe sixteen discs only three are giving me trouble. Two were apparently burned in succession and then there is a gap of ten discs before I see another problematic DVD.

And I know this should be part of another forum topic, but the weirdness keeps getting weirder... Twice now, when waking the Mac from sleep I hear the Apple "bong" sound as if the computer is starting up from being completely shut off. After a moment I have to log in with my Admin password. And I woke up the computer by touching a keyboard key, not by pressing the power button. Again, I'm waking it up, not powering it up, but it acts as if it is doing a cold boot.

Both times I was not expecting to see/hear this phenomenon so I wasn't even paying attention to see if the power button was doing its pulsing glow as it should for sleep mode, or if the power button was completely dark, as if it were powered down.

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2008 04:06      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CoffeeSmack wrote:
Most of my frustration, however, stems from the fact that I never know which disc is going to be problematic and more importantly, how I can avoid the problem in the future.

I have to say it...

Buy a PC [evil]

*rofl*

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
CoffeeSmack
Mini Geek
Member # 3937

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2008 06:25      Profile for CoffeeSmack         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah, a PC running Vista, that burns discs in UDF format. Which means you can't read it in anything older in an XP machine, in most cases. And most XPs can't read it either.

Hell, most other Vista machines can't read it!

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2008 16:13      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
code:
The joke ---------------------->

your head

Humor aside, you seem to be clueless about the fact that there are multiple versions of UDF (ISO/IEC 13346)and Vista will happily write DVDs using older versions, but defaults to the newest version until you change the setting. Defaulting to use the newest standard is standard behavior for software.

Summary... if you don't know how to burn a DVD properly, don't blame the OS no matter how crappy it is.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
CoffeeSmack
Mini Geek
Member # 3937

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2008 22:59      Profile for CoffeeSmack         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My comment regarding UDF refers to the numerous people who have brought such discs into our establishment, scratching their heads as to why their discs don't read in other people's machines. I'm aware of UDF issues, it's our customers who are not. And when we try to educate them on the differences their eyes glaze over or they just get angry. And, I can't count on the average customer to know which UDF version their system will recognize.

I, on the other hand, really want to know what's going on so I don't make another mistake. Nevertheless, unless someone knows the answer, I'm up the creek.

Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2008 00:31      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anything useful here?

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
CoffeeSmack
Mini Geek
Member # 3937

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2008 06:11      Profile for CoffeeSmack         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, sorry, I'm talking strictly data here, nothing meant for a movie DVD. Joliet/ISO 9001 suited stuff.
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2008 08:47      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CoffeeSmack:
Joliet/ISO 9001 suited stuff.

Uhm.. just picking nits here.. but I think you mean ISO 9660... ISO 9001 is a quality control standard for service manufacturers.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2008 10:18      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you drag the files to anywhere other than the Desktop? On media like floppy disks or Flash drives, dragging to the Desktop usually means that it is only moved to the Desktop specific to that drive. This shouldn't happen on read-only discs, but if the Finder is somehow seeing it as a modifiable disc and then finding out that it isn't, it might cause a problem like this. (Disclaimer: I haven't actually tried this since Mac OS 8, so it might now be redundant.)
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
CoffeeSmack
Mini Geek
Member # 3937

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2008 10:26      Profile for CoffeeSmack         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, yeah, 9660... as soon as I posted I realized I goofed. It's just not something that comes up in conversation every day!

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture