homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » D&D

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: D&D
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted February 17, 2008 17:14      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just reminded of something. Someone posted about D&D and recently I've been asked to play and I want to. There is just one problem. I have no clue how to. A quick run down if anyone has some insight would be awesome. I know a simple google search would work but people here explain things better. All I know of the game right now is that all MMO's and RPG video games are somehow based on it and that it involves dice. Like in Risk.....I guess. I like Risk.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Dave
Geek
Member # 1977

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2008 20:01      Profile for Mr. Dave     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WARNING: exceedingly long-winded explanation follows. [Geek]

quote:
Originally posted by Mac D:
... Like in Risk.....I guess. I like Risk.

Really not like Risk. Risk is a game of strategy played on a board, while D&D is a tactical role-playing game and while there is a map, you (the player) never get to see it.

It is very much like an RPG video game, except that the combat is turn-based, and the high-resolution graphics are implemented entirely in meatware [Razz]

I played D&D, um... let me think... three, no, four lifetimes ago? So some of the details will have changed, but here' s the gist of how it works.

To begin, you create a character by rolling 3d6 (that means 3 of the normal, 6-sided, cube-shaped dice) for each of the basic characteristics of strength, intelligence, wisdom, dexterity, charisma and constitution. Then you choose a Race (Human, Elf, Dwarf, Halfling/Hobbit, or some halfbreed combination - there are a couple other Races I've forgotten) and Class (ie. career - Mage, Cleric, Thief, Fighter etc.) based on your base stats. For instance, Fighters need strength (to do damage), constitution (to survive damage) and dexterity (to avoid damage); Mages need intelligence (to memorize spells); Clerics need wisdom (to understand spells bestowed by their Divinity of choice); Thieves need desterity (to avoid being caught) and charisma (to talk their way out of being caught) and so on.

Once you've got your characters you form a party and go adventuring. At this point it's really alot like, say, Avernum or Planeshift, except that you don't actually see what your character sees - your Dungeonmaster (the game leader/referee/bestower of arbitrary doom) has a master map, and tells the players what their characters see around them. The quality of the game, in this respect, really depends on the DM's ability to "paint the world with words."

As you explore the "dungeon" (the term refers to a complete set of maps, and may be partly or entirely above ground, in the countryside, or the forests and wastelands, or in towns or fortresses...) you encounter NPCs (Non-Player Characters) and "monsters" (which may include humans). Talk to/negotiate with/trade with/seduce/whatever the NPCs for information, quests, merchandise, services and so forth, and fight the monsters for treasure and experience.

Combat, as I said, is turn-based, and highly statistical. On encountering a party of monsters, you will determine who has initiative based on a number of factors including individual dexterity, whether one group or the other is trying to be stealthy or is concealed in some way vs. whether a member of the other party is intelligent enough to detect them, and random chance as determined by the DM. This give you the order in which each character may act. Each character can then, in turn, "attack" by choosing an opponent and rolling 1d20 (yes, that's a 20-sided die - you can also play golf with them). The number you roll is adjusted by your dexterity, your skill with the particular weapon, your opponent's dexterity, your opponent's armour, how heavily-encumbered you are, etc. to determine whether or not you hit. If you do hit, you roll again to determine how many hit-points of damage you do, depending on the weapon. (For instance, a dagger would do 1d4 damage; a longsword might do 1d20; an axe might do 2d8 or 1d12+2 damage - you have alot of oddly-shaped dice in your kit.) Spells are similar - the probability of a successful cast depends on your skill level, the difficulty of the spell, whether your opponent has some protection from that particular spell, or from magic in general, whether you have some required material component or an inferior substitute, and so on. Anyone whose hit-points drop below zero is dead, although it is possible to ressurect you later. (Ressurections are expensive, though, so it's better to just not get killed.)

When you defeat an opponent, a trap, an obstacle, a puzzle etc. you gain experience points, depending on exactly what it is you've done. Gain enough XP and you advance a level, which gives you greater skill in your chosen profession and allows you to successfully attack more difficult opponents. Your DM may also award XP for a particularly clever or creative tactic. Act out of character (for your character), act contrary to your character's moral alignment, or offend the Gods, and the DM can take XP away from you, which can drop your level, loose you skills, make you forget spells - generally, you should avoid this.

Other than that, defeated enemies may (or may not) carry gold, jewels, magic items, weapons, armour, food and so forth which you may (or may not) find when you search them. After a fight, you'll need to rest to heal lost hit points; as well, spell-casters usually can't reuse a given spell until they've had undisturbed time to study (for Mages) or pray (for Clerics) to relearn the spell.

Ultimately, how much you enjoy the game depends on how much imagination you put into it, and how much you enjoy the company of your group-mates.

I hope this unexpectedly lengthy response helps answer at least some of your questions.

Above all, have fun.

--------------------
I'm not normally like this, but then I'm not normally normal.

Posts: 193 | From: Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted February 17, 2008 20:37      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
</lurk>

http://www.expertvillage.com/video-series/190_role-playing-games-video.htm
I'm sort of apalled that someone took the time to make all those videos, but not entirely surprised.

*wanders off to deal with... stuff*
<lurk>

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2008 10:44      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just remember to be wary of gazebos. ;-)
Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Beast Girl
Newbie Larva
Member # 14604

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2008 13:04      Profile for Beast Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BooBooKitty:

LMAO

As for tips, I sincerely think you'll get it best if you get the D&D players handbook and read through it once. Everything else is much easier to learn through some experience, as in your first game. And please collaborate with your DM. Possibly even before reading the handbook, since rules vary depending on the version. I think 3.5 is user friendly, even if some of the more hardcore players resent that very feature of it. So, even the stuff you need before the game starts, like creating your character sheet, varies on what the DM has in mind. For instance, he/she sets the ground rules for allowed classes and what level are all players starting at.

If you're intending to play IRL, you will need some math skills. Since you are on this forum, I'll assume that shouldn't be too much of a problem. If you're going to play online, even that is not a factor.
It's hard to explain this in less general terms, but really, it's not as complicated as it sounds. In fact, it's more complicated to describe properly than to actually play it (hence my feeble attempt here).

Oh, and one last tip... never ever let your group piss off the DM too much or you will hear those 4 fatal words: "rocks fall, everyone dies" [Big Grin]

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2008 18:44      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BooBooKitty:

And suddenly one of the monsters in the Munchkin expansion pack (that and Hexatron Rogue are the closest I have ever come to a real RPG) makes total sense...

ROTFLMAO!!

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture