homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » How much does a processors speed affect the output?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How much does a processors speed affect the output?
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 09, 2008 03:54      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How much does a processors speed affect the output?

The question was raised recently about processor speed. So does it matter or is it more dependent on mother/board design and the use of the I/O ports.

I had a snow-blower that did not have a governor its top speed was limited by the venturi size. So does the same hold true for CPUs do the I/Os really do the limiting of the actual number crunching. My belief is that on a well matched Logic Board that there would be no missed clock cycles by the CPU. That said I would think that you would not want the I/Os waiting on the CPU either, so now where is the narrow gate, is it the Hard Drive, Ram, Cache, PCI bus.

From my experience in Manufacturing I know that the budget people have a huge say in the final design, so is there an optimum design out there? Has it made it past the budget people or is it a roll your own?

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 09, 2008 13:36      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you look at the current trend of processors, you'll notice that the GHz has dropped over the years on the leading common chips. That is, I'm writing this on a MacBook with a 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo...and yet I know someone who bought a Toshiba about ~6 years ago with a 2.0 GHz mobile P4. How is it possible that my 2.0 GHz thoroughly pwns his 2.0 GHz? Easy: better design. (One will also be quick to point out that I have 2 cores on one die, but that's not necessarily giving that much of a boost.) The Core processor design is based on a the mobile P3 line, designed by Intel's R&D team in Israel. (There's no political statement to be found in that, just that it wasn't done by state.ca.us folks.) These folks realized they could really get the most bang for the watt out of the P3 design, and it wouldn't thoroughly waste cycles like the P4 line. Hell, the early P4s *sucked* - I have a mess of P4/1.4GHz machines in my fleet, and they're awful...the P3/933MHz machines that preceded them are much snappier.

Some of the benefits certainly come from the other parts of the system, including RAM, bus speed to north/south bridges, etc. Little birdies have said that 'legacy systems' slow down the overall motherboard, and for machines that have them, they're usually relegated to daughterboards - to access floppies, serial ports, parallel ports. Serial ports are useful, though -- and floppies can be handy, but I do manage with a USB floppy drive on newer machines.

Sorry for the rambling...I'm probably taking it a bit too easy on this quiet Sat. afternoon, and am not sufficiently into hardware to focus it better. :-/

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 09, 2008 14:47      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mo man

Like dragon I am not that much of a hardware guy... but my experience computers tells me this much - more CPU MHz doesn't always make for faster performance - I have tested this on Macs by taking a faster Mac and hobbling its RAM down to say 256Mb or 512Mb over the min and then taking a slower one and giving it as much as I could muster... overall the slower processor with lots of RAM will outperform the faster one (within reason obviously - a G4 450 is /never/ going to beat a G5 2GHz DP...) but within reason RAM will give Mac OSX a boost that a choked faster Mac doesn't have.

It is also important that RAM is the speed that the MoBo wants or faster... some will run one speed down but they will slow down, it is also good if all the RAM is the same speed and if the board supports it "interleaved" in matching pairs - something Macs demanded way back, then didn't need but preferred and then the G5 towers and Pro have returned to demanding....

And then the bus speed... you can take an old mac G4 450 and get an upgrade to stick a 1GHz CPU in there - and that is certainly going to give it a boost - but it won't match a later Mac with a MoBo built for 1GHz CPU because the bus isn't running anywhere fast enough to shift all the data

And lastly of course the OS... I have had dealings with "fast" Windows laptops that crawled worse than my old clamshell 466 - why? Because the OEM install loaded lord knows what cruft into the thing hogging up cycles and dragging it down (and some Win AV stuff is notoriously power sapping - Norton I am looking at you!)

Oh yes and I have resurrected several old Win PCs discarded as "useless" by adding some RAM and either putting in a clean Windows install (not an OEM one) or even better a decent Linux (take your pick of one you like - I have my own favourites, you probably have yours - I tend to pick ones Linux noobs and Windows refugees don't find too threatening... Kubuntu, Freespire, Xandros.. but power users will want something else [Big Grin] )

EDIT: - removed a basically repeated paragraph for clarity

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 09, 2008 15:26      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A system is only as fast as it's weakest link.

That said, memory and *cache* are huge factors. When the CPU is faster then memory (which is almost always now), it's important to keep the working set of data in cache. Going out to RAM makes the processor site idle.

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2008 06:14      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
________________________ Then my observations were pretty much on the mark. I was using a roadside wintel box full of memory, I wanted to get some files off of an old ATA 66 drive so I connected it to the CD ROM cable set the jumpers and turned on the power supply was boot ever slow, I copied the files and removed said drive and the performance of the whole system came back. I was pretty sure that slower RAM than bus speed was a NONO. but thought that only when addressing the slow Hard drive performance would take a hit.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture