homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Turning a Old Computer Monitor into a TV

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Turning a Old Computer Monitor into a TV
Nick
Mini Geek
Member # 2413

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2008 09:59      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok they are making those Digital TV tuners. And I was thanking it would be cool if we could take some of our old Computer monitors and turn them into Hi Def TVs.

What would that take? I am just wanting to dump the signal into the monitor. So how can I do that? My father one time Used a TV as a Mac LC Monitor.

--------------------
~Blade

Posts: 89 | From: Texas | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2008 10:49      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_________________________ Nick you are close but I am not sure. Back in the Ninetys Apple had a TV/FM tuner card, and you could do picture in a desktop or full screen, it also had video in so you could attach a camera and use it for security, there was also software that looked at pixel change rates and would save to the hard drive when events happened on the video in.

Now back to your question you will have to find out if the TV tuner you want to use will output in the specs of the moniter you want to use and if the pinout on the plugs match. Other than that it should work.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nick
Mini Geek
Member # 2413

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2008 20:41      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well see I have not seen the Digital tuners. is there a way to convert something like the Hi Def cords to the type of hook up I am looking at with the monitor? Sorry i do not know the turns. I only mess with the Audio and video Cords we hooked up on The NES.

--------------------
~Blade

Posts: 89 | From: Texas | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2008 03:19      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_________________________ Nick just for reference I used to repair TV's. Okay now there are a lot of ways to get the picture on the screen. TV stardards in the USA in the fifties: Composite signal Horizintal sweep 15750Khz Vertical sweep 60 hz this gave 535 horizontal lines that 35 were blanked during retrace back to the top. this was further broken up into 60 frames and an odd even interface, FM sound. Along come VCR's Beta & VHS well all that data would not fit on the tape so the VCR designers set up their units to throw away half of the signal and by the way FM multiplex had come about so we also had stero sound. VCR's into some old TV's looked like crap of course the sales people claimed the TV was at fault so people bought a TV that looked good when fed from a VCR. So some manufactures made dual clock TV's some just slowed down the internal clock because most people did not notice the loss of half of the lines on the screen.

So we are back to your original question: If the tuner will put out a signal in the pass band of the monitor, and the plugs are wired with the same pin addresses it should work. I have seen some of the new flat panel TV's have computer type plugs but have not reseached that fact farther.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture