homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Network drive problem

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Network drive problem
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2008 18:08      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife's Mac based graphic design company uses one of these Lacie network drives as the internal server of our 6 Mac wired network. It is only a few months old, but since Friday morning it will not mount, but I can connect to it using its browser based configuration utility. I assume the disk has become corrupted, but the config utility only allows me to reformat the disk. Is there some way I can get through to the CLI to run fsck or something else? The disk runs under a mini linux called Busybox and the file format it uses is XFS. The disk has Ethernet and USB2 connections.

I have of course left an email with Lacie tech support, but I generally expect the worst from these people so I wondered if anyone here has any experience with these disks or could point me in the right direction where I might find some help.

I am by the standards of the rest of you fairly technically incompetent, but I can follow clearish directions!

The config utility also allows you to inspect a system log. Here is the part of the log from today in case it helps any of you. During the period shown I connected to the disk using the config utility, and attempted to mount the drive and failed. The log means very little to me I'm afraid, though I like the sound of Sleepycat software!

Jan 26 11:21:00 httpd(pam_unix)[18269]: bad username []
Jan 26 11:21:16 httpd(pam_unix)[18270]: session opened for user admin by (uid=0)
Jan 26 11:21:16 httpd(pam_unix)[18270]: session closed for user admin
Jan 26 11:21:24 httpd(pam_unix)[18309]: session opened for user admin by (uid=0)
Jan 26 11:21:24 httpd(pam_unix)[18309]: session closed for user admin
Jan 26 11:23:23 afpd[18452]: ASIP session:548(6) from 192.168.0.4:49211(8)
Jan 26 11:23:23 afpd[1015]: server_child[1] 18451 exited 1
Jan 26 11:23:23 afpd[1015]: server_child[1] 18452 done
Jan 26 11:23:24 afpd[18453]: ASIP session:548(6) from 192.168.0.4:49212(8)
Jan 26 11:23:24 afpd[18453]: dhx login: studiog5
Jan 26 11:23:24 afpd[18453]: uams_dhx_pam.c :PAM: PAM Success
Jan 26 11:23:24 netatalk(pam_unix)[18453]: session opened for user studiog5 by (uid=0)
Jan 26 11:23:24 afpd[18453]: uams_dhx_pam.c :PAM: PAM Auth OK!
Jan 26 11:23:24 afpd[18453]: login studiog5 (uid 501, gid 100) AFP3.1
Jan 26 11:23:24 afpd[18453]: admin login -- studiog5
Jan 26 11:23:24 afpd[18453]: Warning: No CNID scheme for volume /home/share. Using default.
Jan 26 11:23:24 afpd[18453]: Setting uid/gid to 0/100
Jan 26 11:23:24 afpd[18453]: CNID DB initialized using Sleepycat Software: Berkeley DB 4.2.52: (December 3, 2003)
Jan 26 11:24:29 httpd(pam_unix)[18465]: session opened for user admin by (uid=0)
Jan 26 11:24:29 httpd(pam_unix)[18465]: session closed for user admin

On a completely unrelated note, isn't Leopard an absolute pig for RAM? I don't keep that many different apps open at the same time, but on our home Mac (an Intel 24" iMac) I had 1.5 GB, which was fine under Tiger, but was not enough for Leopard, which became sluggish and beachbally. I've now maxed out the RAM to 3 GB and it is a nice responsive machine again, but I was surprised it needed that much. Perhaps I should not have been, as it does seem that each new iteration of OSX needs twice the RAM of it's predecessor. At least the stuff is fairly cheap.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2008 19:53      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got one of those, never had any trouble, so I can't give you any "here's what worked for me" advice, but I can make a few suggestions...

(Disclaimer: Just about anything you try on a corrupt disk has the potential to make it worse. If the disk contains your only copy of valuable files, you should consider making a raw copy of the disk, putting the original somewhere safe, and experimenting on the copy.)

Log in to the web admin page as the administrator, and go to the "Disk" tab. If those numbers look obviously wrong, your drive is probably seriously corrupted, the following advice assumes the numbers look ok.

The error messages you provided suggest the box has "forgotten" some settings, so here's few things that may help recover from that...

Go to the "Users" tab, create a new user with full permissions to the share/s you're interested in. Try mounting the share as the new user.

If that doesn't work, go to the "Shares" tab, and click on the share you're interested in. This should take you to a page with the detailed settings for the share, i.e. a check-box for each of Windows, Apple, HTTP, FTP.

Make a note of what all these settings are now.

Enable FTP share, disable the other 3.

Save your settings and have a cup of tea while the box re-starts.

Once it's re-started, log back in as administrator, go back to the permissions page for that share, and turn Apple sharing back on (Windows sharing too if you use that)

Re-start the box and try to mount your share from the mac.

If all of the above fails, you need to think about getting your data off the drive before handing it over to Lacie, because when you get the drive back from Lacie, your data will be gone.

This drive has a USB interface, so you might be able to mount it via USB and retrieve your files. I've never had to do this, but I vaguely recall you'll need to install some software from the CD that came with the drive.

If all else fails

If you can't get it off via USB, you'll need to remove the drive from the Lacie box, put it into an external USB enclosure, and plug it into a mac (does OSX support XFS?) or linux box. If the filesystem is ok you should be able to copy the files off directly. If the filesystem is corrupt, you can run whatever disk dignostic/repair utilities you have available to fix it.

Good luck.

/me wanders off to do a backup of the Lacie drive.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Dave
Geek
Member # 1977

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2008 21:32      Profile for Mr. Dave     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not familiar with Busybox or the LaCie NAS boxes, but I do know that netatalk is the software that lets a *NIX box host an AppleShare volume, that the CNID is a database that stores the Mac-specific directory stuff that *NIX filesystems don't grok, and that the netatalk docs mention the command cnid_index for repairing the CNID database. cnid_index is a command-line function, so you could try telnetting or ssh-ing into the box.

Sorry I can't offer better help than that.

--------------------
I'm not normally like this, but then I'm not normally normal.

Posts: 193 | From: Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 27, 2008 16:56      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you very much, both of you. I will try rebuilding the user and sharing info on the disk tomorrow.

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 27, 2008 17:49      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll second TFD's recommendation of externally examining the drive. A USB enclosure is one thing, but personally, when it comes to bad drives, I've found that throwing them inside has the best results. For mildly flaky drives a USB interface will work fine (we skip the enclosure and use a cute gizmo that hooks up directly to IDE or SATA), but our recovery software (as well as nuking software) tends to work best on internal drives.

I really don't know anything about XFS, but will wager that OS X doesn't support it natively -- if it's an Intel box, you should boot up to Knoppix, which will surely have the right drivers. (From there, you could just do a direct file copy to a known good USB HD.) If you've only got PPC, I'm not sure of the options, as I could never be arsed to try and get PPC Linux working, and IMHO, OS X is damn[ed?] useless when real problems happen. The skit with the dude ragging on, kicking, and smashing his iMac really isn't that far from the truth.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 27, 2008 17:58      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am pretty certain that OSX does not support XFS, that was why I asked the question. Thanks dragon for your help.

--------------------

Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2008 05:16      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I fixed it! In case this helps anyone else, this is what happened. Finally after badgering them on the 'phone I extracted a reply from Lacie yesterday, which said among other things

"A common issue with AFP is that the apple.db file becomes corrupted. This file is required to connect with AFP and if its not functional then that protocol will be unable to communicate. Log into the device with SMB and delete the file, reboot the drive and then try connecting with AFP again. This may fix the issue if you are only not able to connect with AFP."

It was actually an invisible file called .apple.db, but otherwise his instructions were clear and worked. Thank you all once again for your help.

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2008 08:26      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Callipygous ____________________________ My paranoya goes back a long way, back in the early Nineties I set up a Sy-Jet drive to be the hard drive on my Quadra. The Cartriges were 1.5 Gig each so there was plenty of room. One Cart was used for websurfing, one for tracking our rental properties and one for just general use. Great three systems for one computer. all went well for about three years. The financial one starts to act flaky, Save all to a different drive and reformat and copy back. About a year later it starts getting flaky again. Copy off the files and attempt to reformat no dice, disk locked. Lacie and Sy-Jet no longer are associated with each other and one or the other has gone belly up. Call the other, no we do not support the drives any more, however because of your inconvience we will sent you a new cartrige. About the time the new cartrige arrieves the other two cartriges start getting strange I am beginning to see that the drive mechanism may be the problem, no we can't help you. So I call drive savers yes we can get the data off for this much. Way more than my monthly wage where I worked. so I reconstructed the files my self from back up floppies and printed records and went on to disliking LaCie and Drive Savers.

So congratulations on saving that drive but please backup all you can.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture