homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Crashing Problem

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Crashing Problem
password
Geek
Member # 12442

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 22, 2008 13:34      Profile for password   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
when ever i try to open a game on my computer(ex: halo, unreal tournament, portal, empire at war) the game will run fine for about a minute and a half, and the the entire system will freeze. ive checked, and my CPU, Video card, and ram all meet or exceed the minimum requirements for the games.

and before you ask, yes i am using a PC (games on a mac? don't be stupid)

--------------------
no my password is not username

CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 22, 2008 13:41      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check ...

Power supply
RAM, CPU condition (ie. Stress test it )
Cooling
And power condition coming from plug

Or it could just be your computer's way of telling you that Video Games, like T.V., will rot your brain.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted January 22, 2008 14:01      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by password:
(...) halo, (...)

and before you ask, yes i am using a PC (games on a mac? don't be stupid)

That last paragraph was one too many, if you want a piece of advice. First, Halo isn't available on Mac, so there's no need to say you use a PC. Second, there are games for the Macintosh - I'm quite happy with Civ, the Sims, and the few others I play. True, there aren't that many shoot'em up, but I don't care - I don't play them. (Of course, with the advent of Windows-on-a-Mac à la Bootcamp, you can have a Mac and still play all the games you want.) So there is no need to insult anyone. May I suggest a re-writing? [Roll Eyes]

As for your problem, I'd suggest to check your RAM. (Not that there is enough - but that it is working properly.) Chances are those games are the most memory-intensive software you use, so the bad RAM goes unnoticed most of the time. Just a guess, of course; someone with more experience with PCs may have a different opinion.

(And if I was in a really bad mood, I'd also suggest you to check your shift keys - it seems they're not working most of the time... [evil] )

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 22, 2008 16:31      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Err... I can play doom on my MP3 player too, but that doesn't make it a good choice for a gaming platform. With all the Windows bashing that goes on here, I think it's a bit hypocritical to act insulted over password's comment about games on a Mac.

A little shift key training would be good, though, as he capitalized "Video" but didn't capitalize "i" [crazy]

All that having been said, he should install a program to monitor temperatures on the system. The games mentioned all tax the CPU and video card heavily and cause them to draw more power and generate more heat. Overheating is not an uncommon cause of lockups.

Running system benchmark and stress tests on the CPU and video card seperately would also show if overheating is the problem and determine which device is actually the culprit.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 22, 2008 16:58      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
__________________________ Drat I thought that this topic was about bent metal, ruined hoods, broken windshields, may be blood and ambulance trips.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 22, 2008 18:18      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TheMoMan:
__________________________ Drat I thought that this topic was about bent metal, ruined hoods, broken windshields, may be blood and ambulance trips.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm sure his computer locks up while playing GTA3 just as much as it does during the other games he mentioned.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2008 00:53      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
yes i am using a PC

There's your problem right there. [evil]

But seriously, here's another theory, no more speculative than any of the above...

As Steen mentioned, some games cause the CPU and graphics card to draw lots of power, you may be over-taxing your power supply, which can cause all sorts of things to fail.
The time scale you mention sounds a bit quick for it to be a heat problem, but about right for the lectrickery monster to bite.

[edit - just noticed that 'shroom already mentioned power supply, oh well. [ohwell] )

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
password
Geek
Member # 12442

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2008 17:47      Profile for password   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
to all of you that are saying it might be a hardware issue, i have checked everything (im running all this on a custom gaming PC)

steen,(lol, my auto-correct wanted me to type Satan) I have issues with excessive comma and parenthesis use, and capitalization.

and about my mac bashing. i have no problems with windows on macs, or for that matter linux on macs. but i despise the Macintosh operating system with a vengeance. the computers themselves are sometimes good.

and for you moMan: http://www.car-accidents.com/2007-crash-pics/4-12-07-poland-1.gif
http://www.smirkingloon.com/media/blonde_car_accident.jpg
http://www.dailyhaha.com/_pics/car_crash.jpg

hope this is enough for you.

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2008 18:01      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_________________ Were you involved?

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
password
Geek
Member # 12442

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2008 19:01      Profile for password   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
fortunately no.

but this still doesn't solve my problem. also i now have a new game specific problem
when ever i try to run portal (from valve) on vista, it plays the intro and... closes. no error no nothing. any ideas?

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2008 02:55      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
___________________________ Do you know for certain that you have a totally clean install of the OS and the games you are attempting to run. Do any of these games mess with monitor or sound card settings?

If you are sure that there are no hardware defects, pull off your personal stuff and reinstall everthing leaving out the personal folders. then slowly add back the rest of the your stuff.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2008 03:02      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To paraphrase a very wise man: "Games on Vista? Don't be stupid."

btw - Another crash photo for the collection.
 -

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2008 14:58      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually TFD, you might have something there. I have heard about compatibility problems with high end Win XP games run on Vista despite it supposedly being compatible with DirectX 9. Password, I suggest you make sure you have the absolute latest drivers for your video card. If you have checked everything else the board members have already said then I would be at a loss to help you.

Edit: Unless of course you load XP on the machine.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
password
Geek
Member # 12442

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2008 09:59      Profile for password   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah, the laptop is dual boot XP vista, i found out that the problem is the processor is only like 1.9 GHz. i found this out after a BSOD even in XP, vista just refuses to run it because it detects that it is too much for the processor to handle.

(for you mac users out there BSOD is blue screen of death)

--------------------

Zwilnik

Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2008 15:08      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
yeah, the laptop is dual boot XP vista, i found out that the problem is the processor is only like 1.9 GHz. i found this out after a BSOD even in XP, vista just refuses to run it because it detects that it is too much for the processor to handle.

Interesting that, even my old 1.6Ghz iMac ran Halo fine.

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2008 15:56      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interestingly, Halo was originally shown at Macworld in 1999 running on a (IIRC) 333MHz G3 Mac. It ran really nicely. I wish they'd carried on with that instead of releasing it years later with a version that ran choppily on machines with ten times the power.

(Yes I know it's a totally different thing now. I'd just have liked to see what Bungie came up with if MS hadn't bought them).

Oh, and Portal is totally worth the effort to get working. Best game ever.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2008 18:21      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I blame Andrew Seropian... LONG LIVE MARATHON!

/me ducks

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
password
Geek
Member # 12442

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2008 05:00      Profile for password   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
halo runs fine on the craptop (my name for my vista laptop) it the game portal that i am trying mainly to get to run. also unreal tournament runs fine on the laptop. that is what made me think it could handle portal, apparently portal has a very advanced graphics engine.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture