homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » USB Cable length

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: USB Cable length
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2008 14:51      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
______________________ Okay I know that the theoretical max length of a USB cable is around fifteen feet due to timing issues, so would a hub extend that length making a thirty or forty five foot length possible. What I want to do is mount some of those cheap USB Cameras on our motor home as mirrors one out the back window and one down each side watching the blind spots. I need to run about forty feet of wire to reach the center of the rear window from the dog house (engine cover) in the front. The ones in front will be short, I would just coil up the excess.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Dave
Geek
Member # 1977

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2008 19:54      Profile for Mr. Dave     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to Wikipedia (for what it's worth), you can get USB extender gadgets that can run 50 metres over cat5 cable. (Your landboat isn't 160 ft. long, is it?)

The article also suggests that you might get past 5 metres with powered hubs, but you might not like the results.

Hope this helps.

--------------------
I'm not normally like this, but then I'm not normally normal.

Posts: 193 | From: Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2008 19:55      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are they USB powered cameras?

If so, make sure a powered USB hub is the first thing they're connected to...then extend the run from the hub to the computer. Personally, I've had a mess of naysayers scream about 'You can't run USB more than n ft.' (6<=n<=8) That said, I've run a bus powered USB signature capture device 24 ft via USB extension cables with no problem, so I'm skeptical about the whining. Colleagues tell me that USB printers are quite flaky about this, but I simply don't know about stuff like webcams. YMMV, pun intended.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 21, 2008 02:47      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____________________________ Thats why I like these forums, people here are doers, not bar stool naysayers. My brother-in law also came up with an idea of running the cable through the storage area from the spare tire that would actually be the shortest route, doing away with the offset to get to the wiring chase that runs the length of the coach.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 22, 2008 00:43      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I set up some (rather cheap, mind) USB webcams in my first year at uni with 30ft of cable, and they didn't seem to mind. Each was on a 10m cable which then fed into a powered hub before the ~5m run to my laptop. No trickery involved, but might not work for all cameras.
Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture